[PS3] Uncharted 2

Siege Expansion Packing due this Thursday. Requires Update 1.07:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ng-this-thursday-double-cash-weekend-returns/

As we announced just two weeks ago, the Siege Expansion Pack is our biggest DLC release to date: two new maps, six new multiplayer skins, one new co-op game type and 11 new online-only Trophies.

The most significant portion to the Siege Expansion Pack is the new Siege co-op game type. You can read impressions of Siege from these IGN and GameSpot reviews of the Siege Expansion Pack.

We also revealed the contents of Title Update 1.07 this morning, prior to the release of the update worldwide. Title Update 1.07 includes the following:

Players can now choose between Hero skins for Co-op Arena matches only

Additional spawn system changes to enhance spawn point update effectiveness

Gameplay changes to prevent “airwalk” exploit

Updates to map geometry collision detection to improve prevention of players attempting to leave normal multiplayer map boundaries

To celebrate the release of the Siege Expansion Pack, this weekend marks the return of Double Cash Weekend!
Starts: Friday, April 23, 10:00 AM PDT
Ends: Monday, April 26, 10:00 AM PDT

A fix to the network code wouldn't have gone amiss. Tuesday night, we couldn't make a party of three. The third person joining, no matter who, was kicked straight out of the party. A year on, version 1.07, you'd think ND would have actually got the whole multiplayer team-up gameplay actually working...

That's odd. They should at least give an explanation. Was it ok after a game ? Or did it persist throughout the night ?

We never got it to work, after best part of an hour just trying to meet up in an online game. I could play multiplayer on my, and form a party of two, but it just wasn't allowing a party of three no matter what we tried. The whole corruption of the saved-game issue is always surprising. Deletes and reinstalls should not be a part of the console experience!

Hmmm... If the problem persists, you might want to report the problem on their official forum. It would not be the first time a software update break something. I assume you friend is able to join you guys without any issue in other games ? Like MAG ?

Uncharted 2's Music Maestro - A G4TV Interview with Greg Edmonson:
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed

The Feed: Did you approach this sequel any differently compared to what you did with the Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune soundtrack and how much, if any, was directly inspired by the original?

Greg Edmonson: Well, to me at least, the games were different in this way. The first game was set in a jungle and in a lot of underground environments, so a more ambient approach worked. Uncharted 2 was an expansive and more panoramic setting and cried out for a bigger sound and a more thematic approach. Also as game engines become more sophisticated you can write differently as well. In Uncharted: Drake's Fortune I tried to stay away from too much melodic content in the gameplay sections since the music needed to be able to loop. In Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, I threw caution to the wind and just tried to write music that I liked and trusted that Jonathan Mayer and Scott Hanau (SCEA) would be able to make it work. Implementing the music into a game is a unique art and the Sony team is “as good as it gets.” Since you are writing before the game is finished sometimes music that was intended for one section might end up working better elsewhere. The Sony team makes a master list of all the music that we recorded and then goes through the game, playing it all day, every day and mixing the music into the game.

The Feed: Coady wants to know where you got the inspiration for the soundtrack of Uncharted 2?

Greg Edmonson: Before we started I spent time watching a lot of Chinese cinema. Many of those movies
have epic stories and a lot of action sequences. “House of the Flying Daggers” and “Hero” were influential and so very beautiful to look at. I listened to a fair amount of Buddhist temple music as well. But once we started I just wrote from the heart and tried to find something that would blend in well with the game. Amy and Jonathan allowed me to write music that was melodic and emotional but had no specific place in the game. This is a major departure from the way that some other projects are done. Games are adaptive in the sense that they evolve over time. They are not cast in stone as a TV show or film might be. It is a little like making a film over the course of a year rather than a 7-8 week shoot. So Amy didn’t nitpick the music, she and Jonathan just let me write and we all hoped that as the game unfolded that we would find a place to fit the music in. Obviously if it was a combat situation I knew to write action music and the cinematics dictate exactly what the music should be. But I was given a huge amount of latitude to experiment and most importantly in any creative endeavor, I had the freedom to fail. Once you have that you are able to throw caution to the wind and just have fun!

I played online with 2 friends of mine. Great time! You never get bored with this game, as there are so much different modes (the new one is really cool too) and stuff to do online - cool! I finally managed to finish the survival mode (there are 10 rounds) with my buddies!
We have donwloaded the new maps...and I must say that I am highly impressed with the newest one, the one located in this Nepal city!!
This is really the best online map I have ever seen, so cool, unbelievable what the Dogs press out of the ol station...

I also replayed some SP scenes, where I want to check up again what this "best graphics in the world" fuzz is all about. I must agree, after playing the graphics mammoth called GOW3 and playing AW, I really can appreciate the graphics and style of this game much more, I was highly impressed: replaying the tank chase scene, and it was not only super fun to play but they also included a lot of wow moments!

Counting all in: story, gameplay, gamedesign, graphics - it sure deserved best game of the year award!

So I downloaded the siege expansion pack and was playing the Museum level in Co-op and I must say....AMAZING:oops: The level/lighting actually goes from ~midnight to probably in the afternoon as you progress through the rounds. To see the sun rise and start to set again was a sight to behold. I'm surprised I haven't seen any talk about this level in the thread. I think all of you guys should definitely check it out.

I have the expansion but haven't played it yet. Didn't know it has day-night cycle. Will check it out late next week !

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post...ist_and_double_cash_weekend_may_28_to_june_1/

Next weekend – May 28 to June 1 – we’re introducing a new playlist that will mix things up and maybe, possibly lead to updates or additions to the existing playlists in competitive Matchmaking. We’re calling this playlist “The Lab.”

We’ll be running “The Lab” Playlist roughly every other weekend for the foreseeable future.

During each weekend “The Lab” is active, we’ll be running a playlist featuring one or more custom-tuned gametype variations from the tons of variables we can tweak in our multiplayer gameplay settings.

We’ll also be hosting a new thread for every event on our Naughty Dog community forums to get your feedback and thoughts on each one of our “The Lab” events.

Here’s the current schedule and descriptions for the first three events in our “The Lab” Playlist series:

Patch 1.08 available:
http://vgtribune.com/uncharted-2-loses-features-with-new-update/

Naughty Dog released their latest update for Uncharted 2 Multiplayer and it hasn’t gone over well. While players were awaiting “Double Cash Weekend” with bated breath, it turns out that the update actually removed The Lab playlist and double cash features. The update has also added a few bugs according to the posters at the Naughty Dog forums. One of the reported bugs involves not being able to use boosters during the “count down” towards the end of multiplayer matches.

Not sure what the latest status is. It sounds like a fix is available but not released yet.

Update 3 | 1 a.m. 5/30/2010: According to commenter wildspeculation, “A fix has been pushed that allows players with 1.08 to access the lab and double cash.”

According to Naughty Dog, the 1.08 Title Update was only “available in Europe and was not planned to be available at that time.”

1.08 is only meant for EU ?

1.08 is out everywhere now.
Indifferent2.gif

What a surprise. The sky's blue and whatever Naughty Dog is working on looks amazing. Move along... :D

What a surprise. The sky's blue and whatever Naughty Dog is working on looks amazing. Move along... :D

A lot of people hoped/hope that their next game is Jack&Daxter!

The question is always if you overmilk an IP...for me UC2 is nearly the perfect Uncharted game- I cannot imagen how UC3 could be better than this, without changing the soul of the IP, or doing the same stuff just more pretty...just yesterday, we had ultimate fun playing together the coop online modes of UC2!

So this is the reason why I thought that they could maybe move to Jack&Daxter and give the UC series a break??

It's hard isn't it.

Like with Indiana Jones, you sort of want more - but you also don't want to be over exposed...the good thing with the Uncharted 'world' is that every adventure can be a new story - even the latest Lara game was apparently half decent (not tried it myself yet), I wonder if long term they might turn this into a DLC shorter story sort of thing, a bit like the R&C Quest for Booty if you see what I mean.

Hmm... doing a small PSN release may break the complete Uncharted premium experience. I don't mind getting an Atlantis chapter mainly because I'm curious what they can come up with for underwater effects. The downside is the Atlantis topic has been overdone over the years.

The question is always if you overmilk an IP...for me UC2 is nearly the perfect Uncharted game- I cannot imagen how UC3 could be better than this, without changing the soul of the IP, or doing the same stuff just more pretty...just yesterday, we had ultimate fun playing together the coop online modes of UC2!

There's always local or campaign co op.

But other than that...I can't think of anything that Uncharted 2 could do better.

There's always local or campaign co op.

But other than that...I can't think of anything that Uncharted 2 could do better.

I'm sure Sony can. Like sales, for one, and a show piece multiplayer mode that can post the play numbers of MW (any of them) or Halo (any of them). Can they do that with a new IP? For that matter, can they do that with the UC IP? I'm honestly not sure either way. I think there's still room for a 3rd person shooter to carve out a prominent online presence that differentiates itself from Gears (which itself is unique from Halo/MW as FPSs).Mind you, I'm not talking about the subjective quality of any of those games here. Just what they've been able to accomplish in the online console mutliplayer space. Or perhaps the game itself already has what it needs to do that, and marketing is the issue? Hard to say.

I'm sure Sony can. Like sales, for one, and a show piece multiplayer mode that can post the play numbers of MW (any of them) or Halo (any of them). Can they do that with a new IP? For that matter, can they do that with the UC IP? I'm honestly not sure either way. I think there's still room for a 3rd person shooter to carve out a prominent online presence that differentiates itself from Gears (which itself is unique from Halo/MW as FPSs).Mind you, I'm not talking about the subjective quality of any of those games here. Just what they've been able to accomplish in the online console mutliplayer space. Or perhaps the game itself already has what it needs to do that, and marketing is the issue? Hard to say.

The problem is: what makes those games you have mention so successfull? Can you tell it? Why is UC2 MP not so much played?
What should ND improve in UC2 to make it multi million selling+played?

I sometimes have the impression that you as a developer need a little bit luck to hit the right buttons with your game...once stuff is rolling, word by mouth kicks in and the game is unstoppable! The success of follow on games is than pretty much a no brainer, as long as the devs don't ultimately fail with the sequel...IMO of course!

Back