[PS3] Uncharted 2

"Only problem I had was the game froze on me once"

Had the same problem at the same place on twice. Apparently it's not an isolated incident either. I've heard several others who've gotten this as well. At least it didn't mess up my save.
Exact same crash on my system too, a known bug one can assume now.

The game graphically is quite beautiful as it is to be expected when the game levels are fairly linear in structure.Still, Im not taking away anything from the game graphics wise because it truly is a beautiful game too look at.I may not agree with the metacritic and Game Informer scores but I give the game an excellent score of 9.2.Also, I've been playing the mp at my friends house and im starting to enjoy it more then I initially did at first.

I applaud ND for their wonderful effort that they put into the game and I cannot wait to see what games in 2010 can equal or surpass UC2 in overall graphical fidelity.I hope to buy the game myself sometime around Christmas and thoroughly enjoy it...

Linear game doesn't automatically (or expectedly) become breathtaking. A lot of hard work has to be done right to hit that high note. I have not seen any game achieving the level of Chapter 16 so far.

UC2 play area is also not necessarily small. There are stages where the enemies and I have plenty of space to monkey around.

The only thing I hope they'd done is to make the last part less traditional. In one or two of the latter levels, because I platformed to enemy locations, the enemy units don't have a direct path to me. It can degenerate into a simple stop-n-pop game. It's not a huge deal, but it's a missed opportunity, that's all.

Linear game doesn't automatically (or expectedly) become breathtaking. A lot of hard work has to be done right to hit that high note. I have not seen any game achieving the level of Chapter 16 so far.

Completely agreed. It's a solid team effort. Not only their engine kicks some serious butt but the colorful textures and the attention to detail are what did it for me. I wish more games dropped the brown/greenish look and tried this approach.

So, what's the ETA for Uncharted 3? :smile:

It is a graphical showpiece (but comparing it to say crysis, like some here is silly, Crysis is far more impressive, and its not even linear, but at the same time you need 4 times more powerful gpu's to run it properly).

I did not compare it to Crysis, I said Cryengine 2 has serious competition, I am obviously referring to consoles here ! The RPG like area shown in CE2 demo by Crytek had serious pop-ups right in front of ur eyes, and that demo was the only comparable thing that came to mind on seeing that particular area. You can't deny it looked completely CG-like. I was surprised that I was not forced along a particular path in that area(pseudo cutscene like) and was fully allowed to explore it !

Well, I've completed it one time on normal and am on my 2nd and 3rd way through on normal (with my sister, just to show the story) and hard again (myself) and made some strange observations:

I definately, for some reason, find it more challenging on normal. Maybe my pace is different, but there are some parts in the game where I definately die more on normal, than I am having difficulties on hard. :D Hard has been a cake walk so far (and I'm nearly finished - being at chapter 23).

Really strange.

Like someone mentioned earlier, playing through once really gives you a good idea of how to encounter certain areas which really makes things a lot easier. Like I said earlier in this thread, some parts were quite difficult on Normal, and I too am finding some of the parts I struggled with on Normal mode easier on Hard while others are in fact harder. Again, I think Normal is the perfect starting difficulty for average gamers like myself. I'm sure the more skilled players will find Hard a better starting point.

Sorry, could have worded it a bit different:

I am replaying the game twice at the same time, one on normal and one on hard and I am definitely finding it easier on the more hard than on normal. I'd like to think that I am applying the same approach in both modes while getting different results. I haven't tried out too many things yet, but I suspect that the AI uses a bit of a different approach on the hard setting which suits my game-style better. There's more to it than "more ammo and less health" on the normal difficulty setting.

Yeah, I thought of that too, also because I wanted to make quicker progress on the story bit... but damn, some parts were down right fustrating!

Like i.e. the part in the monastary where you reach the first bridge (I think) and you have to two pillars (left and right) and in front there are a few boxes with a dragon-sniper which you have to use to shoot down a RPG guy and a sniper to the left. I died far too many times trying to defend that spot to the point where even my sister thought ND had over done it. Especially at the end when those 3 shotgun guys come and you're running short on ammo... played the same thing again on hard and walked it in a breeze. No idea, it just did. And this is not the only area either that I have noticed this.

There's one other thing though that I realized that may not be down to the game or difficulty setting. When playing on normal, I was playing on a relatively new Samsung flatscreen (46", LED 1080p TV) and the game is definatelly on 720p mode (no foreced 1080p mode). Either the tv or the PS3 has a lot more display lag than my 720p Hitachi projector at home... I even notice it in when using the XMB.... Anyone have similar experiences in regards to TV display lag?

Like i.e. the part in the monastary where you reach the first bridge (I think) and you have to two pillars (left and right) and in front there are a few boxes with a dragon-sniper which you have to use to shoot down a RPG guy and a sniper to the left. I died far too many times trying to defend that spot to the point where even my sister thought ND had over done it. Especially at the end when those 3 shotgun guys come and you're running short on ammo... played the same thing again on hard and walked it in a breeze. No idea, it just did. And this is not the only area either that I have noticed this.

Heh that got me curious, but I didn't really understand what spot are you talking about. Could you point it out from the vid. The level has four videos and this is the first part.

The part I was refering to, is the 2nd video, at 5:10 min into the movie.

There are more parts where I got quite frustratet on normal mode... it's just as if it seems that the game wants you to play it exactly the way it wants to and if you don't, you're pretty much death. I guess taking care of the RPG guys and snipers is a given since they can pretty much kill you in one hit on normal mode or higher... but I'm still puzzled. :oops:

Yeah, I thought of that too, also because I wanted to make quicker progress on the story bit... but damn, some parts were down right fustrating!

There's one other thing though that I realized that may not be down to the game or difficulty setting. When playing on normal, I was playing on a relatively new Samsung flatscreen (46", LED 1080p TV) and the game is definatelly on 720p mode (no foreced 1080p mode). Either the tv or the PS3 has a lot more display lag than my 720p Hitachi projector at home... I even notice it in when using the XMB.... Anyone have similar experiences in regards to TV display lag?
Samsung TV's are known for having bad input lag, probably the worst in fact. What you could try doing is enabling Game mode, but this restricts picture tweakability and looks rather ugly. I own an A650 Samsung LCD and Killzone 2 is almost unplayable with the amount of input lag that I actually used Game mode for the first time.

Samsung TV's are known for having bad input lag, probably the worst in fact. What you could try doing is enabling Game mode, but this restricts picture tweakability and looks rather ugly. I own an A650 Samsung LCD and Killzone 2 is almost unplayable with the amount of input lag that I actually used Game mode for the first time.

That's the reason why I never bother with Samsung tv's..My dad has a Pioneer Kuro and KZ2 looks awesome on it.In my room, I have a Panasonic Viera and my 360 and PS3 games look stellar.

LED TV have bad input lag.
http://www.dday.it/redazione/220/DDay-The-Best-Gaming-TV-Test.html#pagina-2http://www.dday.it/redazione/220/DDay-The-Best-Gaming-TV-Test.html#pagina-1

The part I was refering to, is the 2nd video, at 5:10 min into the movie.

There are more parts where I got quite frustratet on normal mode... it's just as if it seems that the game wants you to play it exactly the way it wants to and if you don't, you're pretty much death. I guess taking care of the RPG guys and snipers is a given since they can pretty much kill you in one hit on normal mode or higher... but I'm still puzzled. :oops:

That guy is terrible in the video and even then he was able to rush at a chokepoint blindfiring and muddle his way through.
Indifferent2.gif

Not necessarily LED, just Samsung LCD/LED TV's in general. It's not limited to LCD tech either, some Plasmas have pretty bad input lag as well (Samsung and even some Pioneer Kuros). Pretty much all HDTV's have input lag due to the processing of the video signal causing the delay, but some have more lag than others obviously. Panasonic has fairly low input lag which is why I'm most likely going to buy a Panasonic PDP as my next TV purchase.

played a bit further, encountered some strange bugs in the Tibetan village.
First of all, audio was all of the sudden delayed by as much as a whole second during the cutscenes - it was fine again after they were done.
And then the woman with the chickens actually totally freezed up after running up to her, she unfroze again after a chicken came by which triggered her feeding animation.

Also had some griefs with the gameplay shortly after
what the heck is triggering the defeat of the goat-yeti, and why the heck do I have to figure this out by trial-and-dying. I still dont have a clue what does it, I think you need to get up close to get the quicktime events twice?

Yap, I don't get that part either. I replayed that scene with my wife. I don't think I get both animations before I killed it the second time. I was just glad that it's over. :p

Back