[PS3] Uncharted 2

Just read Tom Chick's review, http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/10/uncharted_2.php, as well as his detailed review.

While I agree with his complaints about the story and the mostly fantastically easy platforming and puzzles, I couldn't agree less about Uncharted 1 being a better game. Oh, and he doesn't miss the jet-ski, and I'd agree except for the part where you rode the jet-ski upstream. That was pretty cool, and it would have been neat to see another level like that again.

It's all centered around personal preferences. On the whole, U2 should appeal to a larger population due to its pacing, mild difficulty level, Indiana Jones theme, characters and seamless presentation (almost like watching a movie). I think their next step is not to go back to U1, but to advance U2's strengths further. e.g., Even more interesting set pieces, more fun fighting without losing the pace. The suggested water level may be interesting to revisit.

I don't expect the platforming difficulty to go up too much, if at all.

For combat centric gameplay, I think we will have MAG, Killzone 3, and other shooters to take that.

For heavy platforming, LBP and R&C seem to be the only ones left ? (plus a handful of PSN games).

Batman is the other game that has story and combat too, but it leans towards action more than story. That's another nice title.

Mod: Off-topic "reviewer bias" discussion removed. (Edit: Really? )

On-Topic: Has anyone doing entire sections in stealth? I managed to get through CH13 almost entirely stealth, until I got to the end (I don't think you can do the whole thing). There are some spots where I simply can't figure out how it would be possible do to all stealth, but I found that using grenades can be really helpful on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
For an Uncharted 3 I would say give the players a bit more freedom in the platforming and combat sections. The big set pieces are nice for some quick action, but they should break it up by giving the player more choice in how deal with a situation in between them. Much like the stealth/gun fight sections in the second half of Uncharted 2. And add some decent puzzles. There isn't a single puzzle in Uncharted 1 or 2 that's particularly clever. Surely they can do better then just moving a few objects in to place like the book tells you.

Mod: Off-topic "reviewer bias" discussion removed. (Edit: Really? )

On-Topic: Has anyone doing entire sections in stealth? I managed to get through CH13 almost entirely stealth, until I got to the end (I don't think you can do the whole thing). There are some spots where I simply can't figure out how it would be possible do to all stealth, but I found that using grenades can be really helpful on occasion.

What is Chapter 13 ? Might want to spoiler tag the answer.

I think 13 is train.

I dont think train is possible to do full stealth, atleast i cant figure out how to do the minigun man in stealth, nor the boss?

For an Uncharted 3 I would say give the players a bit more freedom in the platforming and combat sections. The big set pieces are nice for some quick action, but they should break it up by giving the player more choice in how deal with a situation in between them. Much like the stealth/gun fight sections in the second half of Uncharted 2. And add some decent puzzles. There isn't a single puzzle in Uncharted 1 or 2 that's particularly clever. Surely they can do better then just moving a few objects in to place like the book tells you.

A bit more Chloe would be a good thing too. ;)

Well, without reading too much of the topic, I finally received my copy yesterday and have progressed nicely within the game (I think I just completed about a third of the game).

Initial thoughts are unsurpring:
Absolutely speechless about what Naughty Dog have achieved. They've been one of my most admired developers since the PSone days and still continue to do so. The graphics, smoothness and art-direction are outstanding. The gameplay mechanics are definately a step up from Uncharted 1 too.

Despite all this, I still don't enjoy the shooting as much as I do the platforming, adventuring and exploring, but that's down to personal preference. I'm playing it on normal and even on that, the AI is very good and quite a challenge in some parts. They don't stay in places and if you stay in one place too long, they'll tackle you from the side, making it even more difficult. I also like the new focus on the stealth elements, making it possible to sneak up to enemies and knock them out without alerting the huge battle.

Only little annoyance is that I have, is that if you're once in the battle - no matter how well you hide from your enemies out of sight, they still remain aware of your position and usually your change of position. It would have been nice if you were able to lose them again and keep them guessing while cooling down the action a bit.

Well, without reading too much of the topic, I finally received my copy yesterday and have progressed nicely within the game (I think I just completed about a third of the game).

Initial thoughts are unsurpring:
Absolutely speechless about what Naughty Dog have achieved. They've been one of my most admired developers since the PSone days and still continue to do so. The graphics, smoothness and art-direction are outstanding. The gameplay mechanics are definately a step up from Uncharted 1 too.

Despite all this, I still don't enjoy the shooting as much as I do the platforming, adventuring and exploring, but that's down to personal preference. I'm playing it on normal and even on that, the AI is very good and quite a challenge in some parts. They don't stay in places and if you stay in one place too long, they'll tackle you from the side, making it even more difficult. I also like the new focus on the stealth elements, making it possible to sneak up to enemies and knock them out without alerting the huge battle.

Only little annoyance is that I have, is that if you're once in the battle - no matter how well you hide from your enemies out of sight, they still remain aware of your position and usually your change of position. It would have been nice if you were able to lose them again and keep them guessing while cooling down the action a bit.

The enemies DO lose you if you get out from their line of sight, especially in situations where you are fighting alongside another friendly AI, there have often been instances on crushing where I was able to stealth kill or flank an enemy because the AI was focused on a friendly AI.
Indifferent2.gif

This is actually possible when you have a co-op NCP in Single Player. Enemies often get engaged with the NPC in a firefight then you can sneak around. Even when you don't have one it is possible, but not easy. I've done it a few times.

No more ladders. The "kick down the ladder" mechanic was used way too much. I would have preferred some spots where you could shoot things down or push things around to platform around areas. Waaaay too many fall backs on that ladder.

No more ladders. The "kick down the ladder" mechanic was used way too much. I would have preferred some spots where you could shoot things down or push things around to platform around areas. Waaaay too many fall backs on that ladder.
"I'll give you a boost"

We should play co-op :)

"I'll give you a boost"

We should play co-op :)

Definitely man, I'm sorry I missed your last few invites, bah, I got sidetracked doing homework and left the PS3 on :devilish:

My Clan may be hopping in a few games, maybe we could all drop into a chat room and organize some co-op survival matches, should be a decent amount of us online (and by that I'm hoping for 5...building a community = hard).

Back