[PS3] Uncharted 2

I'm absolutely not understanding the bullet sponge complaints.

Nearly every soldier goes down with about four to five pistol rounds on Hard / Crushing. One to the head.

Soldier who wear armor take a lot more shots to take down when you're hitting them with pistols / rifles and you're doing body shots. Even then, you can unload a few rounds to stun them (they fall over) and then rush them with melee.

On Normal, almost all of the enemies are extremely easy to take down with a few rounds, especially if you're hitting the body and / or head.

Maybe I'm playing a different game, but the only enemies I felt were "bullet sponges" were
the boss on the train, the guardians, and the last boss

Edit: homerdog, that's not the point you were trying to get across. You didn't talk about smarter enemies, you talked about damage.

Either way, I already told you how to play the game, since you want something closer to "real life".

i think the complaint stems back to uncharted 1 and that is weapon balance where pistols seem to do a lot more damage and have better accuracy when compared to the rifles, the only downside to them when compared to rifles is the number of rounds they hold but thats expected...but read my post above for an extreme case of the spongeness

Edit: homerdog, that's not the point you were trying to get across. You didn't talk about smarter enemies, you talked about damage.

Either way, I already told you how to play the game, since you want something closer to "real life".

Sorry I was referring to Ostepop's first sentence (about not wanting realism, just enemies with less health).

i have one complaint with the game that i found annoying, even though i accepted the fact that enemies have a spongeness to them, but i encountered an extreme case which i believe should be fixed

...there was a point where i ran in to some heavies, sneaked my way around them without them noticing and launched an rpg to the back of their head from a short distance and the one i shot continued to attack me...if an rpg can put a big dent in vehicles and tanks but not to the back of someone's skull, helmet or no helmet it shouldnt matter, then there is a problem

That's just the nature of videogames. I can't imagine that anyone has come this far through this many years of gaming and has only noticed this now. I can't think of ONE videogame that doesn't require a suspension of disbelief.

I just find these "judgements" to be silly given the medium. Though, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not arguing that you're right or wrong, just that this is how games have always been, and it's unlikely that they'll take a large turn toward realism. That is a "niche" market.

I restarted the game at hard, and now I'm just loving it :)
The enemies are bullet sponges (lol, it sounds wierd!), at least for me it seems that way, but i don't mind a bit :D
The game is simply awsome! Just reached back to the "beginning" and what can I say, it's been one hell of a ride!
Here's hoping that the "beginning" is the middle and not the end, because I just don't want it to end, ever :oops:
I was playing with some friends, and everyone was just amazed by it.
I really think that this game is again, the game that every PS3 owner should have, just like Uncharted was when it came out.

Spoiler Alert !

You might not want to quote his spoiler post in your spoiler alert. If he changes his post, yours is still exposed. :)

I think regular dudes are fine in U2.
You see gatling gun guys rarely and generally with and RPG or sniper rifle close buy.

Yap, although I also prefer better AI to bullet sponges.

I'm on sick leave. I replayed the chapters from 16 onwards. This time I walked my wife through the game. She's suitably impressed, stayed to watch me play despite a busy work schedule. But I lost her after I died 3 times in a platforming. I forgot how to cross certain obstacle :rolleyes:

Overall I think the game is great for busy folks. It's a tough act to balance core gaming expectation with accessibility. Very difficult. :no:

That's just the nature of videogames. I can't imagine that anyone has come this far through this many years of gaming and has only noticed this now. I can't think of ONE videogame that doesn't require a suspension of disbelief.

I just find these "judgements" to be silly given the medium. Though, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not arguing that you're right or wrong, just that this is how games have always been, and it's unlikely that they'll take a large turn toward realism. That is a "niche" market.

dont think i explained myself too well,...im not necessarily arguing the spongyness or the realism of the game... i can bring a heavy down with a pistol to the head, but an rpg to the head, they shrug it off, yet this same rpg brings down a tank and the pistol doesnt ding it...

it boils down to a consistency issue

Last edited by a moderator:
All it tells me is you stole their kills. :p

Seriously, as JardeL highlighted, there are quite a few one-shot weapons in U2 SP. e.g., SAS-12 , Pistolé, Desert Eagle, Dragon sniper rifle,
crossbow
, the grenade launcher and RPG. Most of the time, you don't have to aim for the head. I just switched to the best weapons along the way and moved on. The assault rifles (M4 and FAL) are not too shabby too.

Ow... I guess that's the curse for having easy to change stats. :devilish:

Every gun is a one-shot weapon.

I don't necessarily care for realism in games, but don't like bullet sponge enemies either. I would have preferred smarter enemies over bullet sponges. I also feel like I'm getting a lot less flanked in this compared to Uncharted 1. Now they simply have a greater number of enemies that stay at a distance, and have heavily armoured guys that slowly move directly towards you. Everything is a lot more scripted time around, but thankfully it does open up a bit in the second half.

I think there's less enemies in U2 than in U1. And only the big guys
(and blue guys)
are bullet sponges - don't think any other character is anywhere near a bullet sponge.

And even big guys go down in one desert eagle shot to the head :) and
the blue guys only take one or two crossbow shots
- it's like a puzzle in itself :)

dont think i explained myself too well,...im not necessarily arguing the spongyness or the realism of the game... i can bring a heavy down with a pistol to the head, but an rpg to the head, they shrug it off, yet this same rpg brings down a tank and the pistol doesnt ding it...

One RPG kills the shotgun guy. Two RPG's kill the big dude...and four RPGs kill a tank. Don't see the inconsistency at all...

No, you were clear and I understood you fine. I'm just explaining that this isn't something new, and I can pretty much find an inconsistency in any game. Video games are created in fantasy worlds, they aren't meant to perfectly reflect realism, nor is it required that everything be consistent.

If you could take down heavy's with one hammer or RPG shot, then they don't provide much of a challenge.

I haven't played Uncharted 2 so I was wondering are those nice looking cutscenes all real time?

They are mostly rendered using the in game engine. Some of them are real time, some are videofiles.

I've noticed sometimes the charater models change during gameplay. At times the textures on the skin will be very detailed, and I assume this happens before a cutscene (real time). Other times, it's just a general texture missing a lot of those fine details (though still very impressive).

But, to answer your question, for the most part they are video files rendered using the engine. There are subtle enhancements (i.e. skin textures, and AA) but the models, lighting, and almost all of the environment texture work is identicle.

There are actually some cutscenes that I thought didn't look as impressive as some of the realtime in-game sections (like, say, chapter 16).

They are mostly rendered using the in game engine. Some of them are real time, some are videofiles.

I've noticed sometimes the charater models change during gameplay. At times the textures on the skin will be very detailed, and I assume this happens before a cutscene (real time). Other times, it's just a general texture missing a lot of those fine details (though still very impressive).

But, to answer your question, for the most part they are video files rendered using the engine. There are subtle enhancements (i.e. skin textures, and AA) but the models, lighting, and almost all of the environment texture work is identicle.

Alright thanks for the information, it looks pretty good in-game from what I've seen, but those cut-scenes were a bit too good.

I'm sure we all have a slightly different opinion on what a bullet sponge is.

So far I've beaten the game on hard, and I'm about halfway through crushing. I know perfectly well how to take any opponent down. But it seems I just can't make a headshot every single time. And that probably goes for the majority of people here.

So if I unload a full clip of a AK in an opponents chest, I expect him to be laying dead on the floor. And if hit one of those gatling gun guy with an RPG, all I want to see is a big red stain.

Its true that games by their nature are going to have get away with doing strange things like recovering any damage over time. But most games also rely on a level of credibilaty to make the game world immersive and believable. So they shouldn't stretch thing too far.

And for a developer like Naughty Dog that has shown they can do good AI, I would have preferred they would add more diversive enemies through different AI behaviour, instead of bullet sponges.

Alright thanks for the information, it looks pretty good in-game from what I've seen, but those cut-scenes were a bit too good.

I never noticed any discrepancies in AA or texture quality between gameplay and cutscene. They both look equally amazing to me. :cool:

Heck, the best visual moment in the game (
The Village
) was 100% gameplay.

Like most cutscenes - even when in-game - they can enhance the characters as they aren't using the engine for other things. Eg. RE5, MGS4.

Back