[PS3] Uncharted 2

Sorry but that's bullshit.

For Beowulf Sony Imageworks had electrodes measuring eye movement from the muscles, and even there they keyframe animated the eyes in more then half the movie.
There's no way to reliably capture eye movement, period.

You're probably right. I've seen a bunch of making of features of Heavenly Sword where I thought the actors were wearing contact lenses with tiny little white balls on them, like here:

capturingperformance.jpg

But I may be mistaken, it's probably a trick of the light and the rest is just attached to their eyelids only. Still the amount of 'balls' used for the face don't seem to be anything like what they used in Uncharted though.

Hmm, that picture disappeared.

I played the beta some more this weekend (quite a bit in fact) and I still really like it a lot. Most of the games I play include people from both Europe and the U.S., so considering that the netcode runs pretty well (its definitely peer-to-peer I think, not server side). The game definitely offers a bunch of unique experiences. One particular highlight for me was me getting into a shootout with someone I'd encountered a few times before in that match, and this time I just decided to run past him while he ducked, and go up the stairs to a higher platform. I then jumped over the balcony to drop down behind him, and grabbed him from behind and strangled him. :D The fluidity of these actions in particular is awesome, and you can really play some great cat-and-mouse in this game. (MGO should have been like this I think.)

The beta has just these very few modes and maps, but the game is still terribly addictive. I see a big future for Uncharted online. I haven't played the co-op very much though - it should be great when it has party based leaderboards, but right now it seems a bit short and repetitive, especially with just the one map. Should you be able to play most maps in the game this way, then I think there's definitely a fair bit of fun to be had though. And if they manage to pull this off split-screen, that'd be a great addition as well. Somehow I doubt that will happen, but you never know.

Man that beta is addictive. It's 4am now, this is not good! But it's just really awesome, especially together with friends. The whole package is just so good, the combination of running, jumping, shooting, various weapons (with a very good balance I have to say), melee, climbing, and it's all just so good! I'm up to level 21 now and I'm not a fast level-upper ;) Because the teams are only five, there's also sometimes a fair bit of meaningful cooperation going on, really cool. And you can do so much cool things, like pulling someone down from a ledge. It's a great way to surprise people ... someone was shooting me as I climbed up, so I managed to get up and tried to get away on the other side, but he was already waiting for me there and pushed me down as I was trying to look where he was ... :D

Some of the best multiplayer I"ve played online ever. The fact that just two relatively small maps can give so much fun speaks volumes for the game. I'll miss the beta when it's over, but it'll definitely be good for my health and marriage ... :D

Holy :oops: !! This game is looking more and more amazing every time new screenshots are released!
Loved the first Uncharted, can't wait to get my hand on this one. Don't care much about the mulitplayer component though, to me Uncharted is all about single player adventuring, great story (for a game), amazing graphics and gameplay.
Any information on how long the sp will be?

Edit: hehe :) sorry, I don't know how I confused Uncharted with Unreal :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy :oops: !! This game is looking more and more amazing every time new screenshots are released!
Loved the first Unreal, can't wait to get my hand on this one. Don't care much about the mulitplayer component though, to me Unreal is all about single player adventuring, great story (for a game), amazing graphics and gameplay.
Any information on how long the sp will be?

hello forgive me if I am being silly but when you refer to Unreal what do you mean ??

Does Nate make audible noises when running in the sequel? Small nitpick of mine with the first game i know, but it always felt like Nate was running in stealthy Ninja footwear in the first game. It kinda gave off the impression that he was as light as a feather. His movements felt more like floating than running as a result. Doesn't have to be the foley overkill Sucker Punch went with on Infamous (though I do indeed like it quite a bit), but I'd like to at least hear his feet making contact with the ground without having to press my ears against the speakers.

Does Nate make audible noises when running in the sequel? Small nitpick of mine with the first game i know, but it always felt like Nate was running in stealthy Ninja footwear in the first game. It kinda gave off the impression that he was as light as a feather. His movements felt more like floating than running as a result. Doesn't have to be the foley overkill Sucker Punch went with on Infamous (though I do indeed like it quite a bit), but I'd like to at least hear his feet making contact with the ground without having to press my ears against the speakers.

If play Uncharted 1 and look closly, you willnotice that Drake is often indeed light as a feather, flying and warping into the only possible angle for drake to climb something. ;)

U2 seems better, but this kind of stuff is hard to get rid of completely.

I think it was more that he was sliding in the first game - that's gone now.

Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, deferred rendering, cloud computing, paralax mapping, high dynamic range tonemapping, per object motion blur, cascade shadows, sub surface scattering simulation...

Evan Wells: We are only supporting online multiplayer. We didn't want to comprimise the visuals going from single player to multiplayer and to include a split screen option at this time would have meant making that sacrifice.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Evan Wells: We're using a variety of rendering techniques (several mentioned in my last answer Cool) to give our snow and ice a realistic look. Drake and the enemies will leave footprints in the snow with 3D clumps that build up around their feet, and it even has gameplay implications when the weather really whips up and visibility becomes an issue.

I like this part:

AmyH: Nate does a little more globe-trotting in this game than in Uncharted 1, so there's a wider variety of environments. Everything from urban areas, ancient temples, jungle swamps to snowy and icy locales. Nate's journey takes him from Turkey to Borneo, up to Nepal and into Tibet and the Himalayas.

He says a lot of cool stuff, including that the entire source code of the first Uncharted game was made available to all the 1st parties.

Of that list of technologies... what does/could he mean by "cloud computing" in this context?

Nah... I think it's just the backend render farm. I'd be surprised if U2 makes PS3 into a cloud computing node on the Internet (PS Cloud ? I refuse to believe it).

Personally, I didn't really enjoy the mp beta of UC2 nowhere near as I thought I would have.Perhaps, I was expecting too much from ND in that sense.The mp in UC2 is okay, nothing amazing or mindblowing at all.Still, when the game is released im going to play the mp again and see if they made it better and more fun.

Back