[PS3] Uncharted 2

I just played the beta for another hour. My second last game was abysmal, I was getting totally owned. I notice that I play on one side of the map much more than the other, and if I start on the other side, I've had trouble adjusting (getting better though). However, my final game I was completely on a roll (fighting against good players obviously makes you better). I got 12 kills and 4 assists versus 5 deaths, and no less than 5 different medals. :D The most fun I had was when I got the riot shield, and I meleed a bunch of people with it. It's actually very good for melee, who'd have known!

Meet the Women of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/06/17/meet-the-women-of-uncharted-2-among-thieves/

Very interesting video with voice actresses of U2AT, Elena and Chloe.

BTW real life Elena is hot!

What surprises me is how much she looks like Elena. I don't know though, but I think this is the one time where I can see the real life one looks better than the video game character she portrays. And pretty awesome interview all around.

Edit: There was another interview posted there with Nolan North (our beloved Nathan Drake):

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/06/16/meet-nathan-drake-uncharted-2s-nolan-north/

Pretty interesting stuff - if he was a bit younger I don't see why he couldn't play Drake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meet the Women of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/06/17/meet-the-women-of-uncharted-2-among-thieves/

Very interesting video with voice actresses of U2AT, Elena and Chloe.

BTW real life Elena is hot!

Nice find and yes she is!

MV5BMTc3NzE0NzE3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU2OTU5MQ@@._V1._SX134_SY200_.jpg

The voice actors/actresses also perform the motion capture for their respective characters. Okay, some of the more extreme moves may obviously involve stunts too, and of course everything is suspect to animator corrections too. But the quality of the acting in the cinematics is a direct result of Naughty Dog using... well, actual professional actors.

But the quality of the acting in the cinematics is a direct result of Naughty Dog using... well, actual professional actors.

Well, having professional actors is really the easier part of the equation in that kind of pipeline.

Did they hire the actresses first and then modeled the characters or vice versa?

Hmm, sounds like the developers just wanted to be around those actresses.

Well, having professional actors is really the easier part of the equation in that kind of pipeline.

I don't really get it... what does quality of acting have to do with the pipeline? I know mocap is a pain to work with, been there done that, but it reall makes a difference if the actor knows how to act. A lot of the mocap in games is usually overacted and the straight skinning (no dynamics) amplifies it even more... but from what I've seen Uncharted gets it pretty much right in the cinematics.

Even greatest actors have to be very carefully directed and assisted when working in mocap .
Most professionnal actors will overact.

Most video game company using mocap can't do that job well,plus the script and dialog is generaly poor ,too.
ND had the humility to admit they don't really know how to do that ,that they needed movie industry l competances .So they did recruit adequately.

Which is exactly what I've meant with professional actors... probably should have added "and a director" ;)

Yes, it's terrible naughty dog uses professional actors, professional programmers, professional artists and so on. Sarcasm aside I doubt the quality of a game comes from just single source. It's much more likely that the resulting quality comes from contributions from everyone at the production team. After all chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Luckily anyone else has the same chance to employ actors if they believe that will make a product reaping more profit.

I know something about very good professional actors but bad (or no) direction,cheap dialogs and so on. They won't do miracles.Garbage in garbage out.

I wonder whether all those non-stop hand gestures are a side effect of too much motion capture work, with the absence of decent facial (and eye) capture. :|

I wonder whether all those non-stop hand gestures are a side effect of too much motion capture work, with the absence of decent facial (and eye) capture. :|

It did show in the first Uncharted that the eyes weren't captured - I think that was really a stand-out feature in Heavenly Sword. It's the one thing my wife pointed out, and she's 41 and has never been a gamer ;). Still, the game strives more for a cartoon look than a realistic look, and certainly the first Uncharted was good enough for me. And who knows what the artists may pull off this time eh?

Anyway, I have to say that I found these two interviews very, very refreshing. I really enjoyed these interviews. I was also fairly impressed by hearing their regular voices, because it showed me that Drake and Elena's voices were really acted very well ... they had their own unique character, and weren't just people playing themselves, but they still felt really natural. I really liked it, and the fact that they've had freedom to improvise the dialogue and then have the artists pick up from there (slightly like how the genie was shaped in Disney's Aladdin based on Robin Williams who did the voice for the genie first) gives me a good feeling on that the second game will be no disappointment. Even in the first game you could see the dialogue improve over time. Elena's "nothing a visit to the shrink can't fix" was pretty weak, I thought, but that was immediately the low-point and everything from there was pretty awesome.

And to throw in my taste two-cents, I prefer Elena's character model in the game, but the actress that plays Chloe in real-life. ;) In the game she needs more length in her face, for my taste at least. But then there's no accounting for taste! I mostly look at the faces. ;)

It did show in the first Uncharted that the eyes weren't captured - I think that was really a stand-out feature in Heavenly Sword.

Sorry but that's bullshit.

For Beowulf Sony Imageworks had electrodes measuring eye movement from the muscles, and even there they keyframe animated the eyes in more then half the movie.
There's no way to reliably capture eye movement, period.

Back