[PS3] Uncharted 2

Is this video from the GDC09 build?

I think yesterday´s GTTV video could be a different version than the today´s longer one. In the first one there is plenty of blood in the first gun fight and in the long one blood is not so apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The animation looks slightly glitchy at moments, but for the most part it seems more precise and much less floaty to me than the first game. Especially when jumping to and climbing over objects.

Graphically everything looks better to me, not a lot in any one area, but it looks like a lot of little improvements everywhere. It all adds up to a much better looking package to me. I especially love the addition of motion blur. After Capcom's framework games and KZ2 put it to such good use I was hoping they would add it as I feel it adds a lot to a game's appearance when in motion.

I think my only nitpick is that the explosions still aren't very strong compared to some other big name games. But at least they look better in this video than they did in the multiplayer one.

The gameplay looks like the first game with every improvement I could hope for. I am seriously pumped for this game.

Gamersyde has a 720p version (5 minutes)

1769_0032.jpg

It's awesome!

Why does the game look like shit in all of the photos taken from the video?
Like the screenshot above, for example. It looks terrible.
It looks sharp, detailed and beautiful in motion, but in the screens it looks like a jagged, low resolution mess.
Is it the source material?

They've also reduced the shadow resolution.:cry:

The new version of the engine features psychic detail projection only perceptible in motion. Screenshots aren't able to beam the awesome into your brain.

http://www.n4g.com/events_e32009/News-329320.aspx

A complete 5 minute playthrough of the game.

Frankly guys, to me, it looks too good to be true. When the chopper comes-up , the lighting looks too CG - like. Had I not not played Killzone 2, I would have called this a rendered in the engine video or something.

New stealth moves combined with the melee options, makes it the best TPS for me. Hell, watch the video, the enemy looks him up and surprises him from behind. and there is a riot shield too.

@Nesh: Its ok if Scofield doesn't find it up to the mark. He is focussing on animation, me on the look of the game. I think there OB motion blur on the bus that rams in, but I am not sure about that. I think the no. of polygons on screen, the environment, the lighting and texture work is nothing short of amazing. I haven't seen any other console game look like this. If it doesn't satisfy Scofield, that's fine. I , too, have Crysis on my PC, and can say that it doesn't even come close, but, on the consoles, this sure is looking like the new benchmark.

As for animations, I was fine with the animations of Drakes Fortune too. Except for the sliding, I found them very impressive.

Now, RR's reflex-like response of "even with all those defects it still is the best ever" without any effort to refute what I said is funny to me. Hence the ":LOL:"

It was not a reflex response Scofield. I was myself trying to be a little mischievous ;) ! I meant that even if we have these defects , as you state, it is still the best looking game this generation of the consoles. That is why I didn't respond to ur LOL ! I was expecting the post to be sarcasmic/funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks sharp, detailed and beautiful in motion, but in the screens it looks like a jagged, low resolution mess.

Obviously it's not direct framebuffer grab and heavily compressed for sharing, the vid from Gamersyde did a good job of retaining the details but it's far from direct feed quality.
Now, the game at this point looked like a low end CG animation, to me it has eclipsed KZ2 in terms of overall visual. the only thing that could use more attention is the fire effect. I'm guessing the real meat of the visual is the snow, ND is saving the "avalanche" for E3 I believe.

I could not appreciate the first as much as i should because the gunplay felt too ratt-a-tat-tat lack of oomph and pyrotechnics. This looks marginally improved though not there imo.

The graphics OTOH blows! This has to be the best looking console game that is part smooth animation and performance of a console optimised title and the more technobabbled feature filled latest PC gpu! ND did it again! If you give it a 1080p resolution and texture pack boost, this "budget" RSX game would stand alongside the fastest PC gpu renderer of today with no shame! I thought the RSX was not able to do such fine precised graphics, i must have been reading all the bad information! :p

I don't care what everybody else thinks. I have my own opinions. And of course, I didn't say that it looked bad or anything like that, in fact I think it looks very good, but I noticed those "defects" that seems everyone either not notices or ignores, and then decided to comment on them.

Then learn to post. The way you present yourselve is just food for provocation and it´s gonna inflict flames on the board. But i guess you dont "care" anyway.

Uncharted 2 looks amazing.

Becouse Gamersyde provides videos of very high quality only a notch(es) below how it looks on the TV. Thus you can see the jaggies and all flaws that are masked in blurry small videos. Though it doesn't look terrible but good. Find it to be very nice although animation in movement and transition was awful. Like the enemy dying animation that abruptly ends after a couple of seconds. .Lack of AF or higher AF settings and jaggies/shimmer is also quite distracting. Also don't see any OB motionblur nor insane amount of polygons. People have you already forgotten mapping != real polygons!

Saw the Wolverine game and Terminator game and interestingly they look pretty par minus colors scheme. Seems devs are picking up on the art skills.

Becouse Gamersyde provides videos of very high quality only a notch(es) below how it looks on the TV. Thus you can see the jaggies and all flaws that are masked in blurry small videos. Though it doesn't look terrible but good. Find it to be very nice although animation in movement and transition was awful. Like the enemy dying animation that abruptly ends after a couple of seconds. .Lack of AF or higher AF settings and jaggies/shimmer is also quite distracting. Also don't see any OB motionblur nor insane amount of polygons. People have you already forgotten mapping != real polygons!

Saw the Wolverine game and Terminator game and interestingly they look pretty par minus colors scheme. Seems devs are picking up on the art skills.
Totally expected that from you, but hey just because you don't see them doesn't mean everyone else don't see them neither though I still respect your opinion same as everyone else'. The engine just can't help it to have excellent mapping on to of an insane amount of polys. Not to mention Drake alone has at least 30k tris. Those other two titles you mentioned looked like almost PS2 quality next to it.

Totally expected that from you, but hey just because you don't see them doesn't mean everyone else don't see them neither though I still respect your opinion same as everyone else'. The engine just can't help it to have excellent mapping on to of an insane amount of polys. Not to mention Drake alone has at least 30k tris. Those other two titles you mentioned looked like almost PS2 quality next to it.

Thats the part I dont get. Wher are the insane amount of polygons. Sure Drake and enemies have high polygon counts as Uncharted but environment having insane amount of polygons?

Also first watch those other games before you make such dramatically defensive comment. And expected that from me? Heh your answer was expected to. Bounce back type defensive post without adressing any of the things I pointed out and asking why/how etc. I just commented on the pretty obvious for me going by the Gamersyde videos and screenshots.

Back