How to use a HDMI cable with X360 stereo HD component cable?

RudeCurve

Banned
Is there a way to use the X360 HD component cable and the HDMI cable together? When using the component cable it blocks the HDMI port. I want to used the HDMI output but I also want to use the stereo RCAs on the component cable. :???:

Where can I get it? Is it expensive? Is the adapter a complete HDMI cable or does it allow you to use your own HDMI cable?

Ok I read about that but it appears the newer X360 Falcons do not allow both cables to be connected at the same time. Using both cables causes it to reboot and only one connector is recognized. If there is no cheap solution for this issue then I'll just have to buy a new receiver that accepts HDMI audio decoding.

Ok I read about that but it appears the newer X360 Falcons do not allow both cables to be connected at the same time. Using both cables causes it to reboot and only one connector is recognized. If there is no cheap solution for this issue then I'll just have to buy a new receiver that accepts HDMI audio decoding.

Depending on the display you are using, you maybe could use HDMI only to connect your Xbox 360 to your display and then use the audio output of your display to get stereo audio from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the display you are using, you maybe could use HDMI only to connect your Xbox 360 to your display and then use the audio output of your display to get stereo audio from it.

That's not an option for me because I'm using a computer LCD with DVI no digital audio support. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new receiver because I do not want to spend $40 on a stupid MS HDMI cable. The receiver I have in mind is only $200 and it supports HDMI audio decoding. Unfortunately even that may not work because I hear (pun intended) X360 does not output Dolby Digital bitstream through HDMI only 2CH PCM? :???:

That's not an option for me because I'm using a computer LCD with DVI no digital audio support.

Then you could very likely still use a VGA cable, which supports output resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 and comes with analog stereo and digital optical connection.

Even that may not work because I hear (pun intended) X360 does not output Dolby Digital bitstream through HDMI only 2CH PCM? :???:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/849904-elite-5-1-over-hdmi.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=993204

Then you could very likely still use a VGA cable, which supports output resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 and comes with analog stereo and digital optical connection.

Yeah but that would be defeating the purpose of getting digital video from HDMI since VGA is analog video.

So it could pass DD/DTS 5.1 through HDMI but it only works some of the time...this is driving me crazy. :devilish:

Mine is a 60GB Falcon model. Anyway I just ordered a cheap VGA cable from Monoprice so I could at least get some kind of sound out while playing games etc. I also got a 90 degree HDMI extension so I could test to see whether I could use the VGA cable and HDMI cable at the same time without having the console reboot etc. If it doesn't work I'm just going to use VGA with stereo audio for now while I wait to get a new receiver.

Update: It seems it's possible to use the VGA cable alongside the HDMI cable as long as you do two things, 1) Don't switch inputs while the console is on otherwise it will reboot 2) You have to break the casing on the VGA cable as it's too big to work alongside the HDMI cable.

xbox 360 using component hd cable with hdmi to dvi cable together

I agree with you, (I completed the cable dissection last night) The only difference is that the plastic jacket surrounding the component HD cable can be released by pushing in (where the two halves of the connector come together around the perimeter of the case) and gently turning with a wide thin blade screw driver or other pry tool leaving it in fine shape should you desire to reconstruct for future sale etc..

Once the plastic is off, the metal noise shield can be offset a little by pushing the female connector the opposite direction. Using audio frequencies only now from that cable you might be tempted to remove the shield completely. This would open the door to every signal floating around in the rear of your unit to see if it can travel right into your 360. It worked fine. Then there's always contacting usoft's tech support for an endorsed work around.

The VGA cable that I bought also outputs digital audio through optical. If you can find a cheap VGA cable with optical out use that with a standard cheap HDMO cable. You will have to remove the the casing on the VGA cable connector in order to fit alongside a separate HDMI cable.

FYI
HDMI + VGA cable for optical out didn't work for me
HDMI + stripped component cable for optical out did work for me.

My 360 probably isn't a falcon (1st gen of HDMI Arcade 360)

Back