Why no drivers for Powervr SGX

Dawgmatix

Newcomer
I wanted to know if anyone knows why drivers for Powervr chips arent widely available. Take for example the case of the Nokia N800 (and the 770 before that I believe), the device shipped with a 3D chip in it, but for the entire lifetime of the product a 3D driver has not been made available. Painful as that is, it doesnt affect me directly.

Ditto for the beagleboard. Where I have read multiple posts about the lack of drivers. Again this doesnt affect me but thinking of all that underutilised hardware ... is a sad thought.

However I am an openpandora early buyer, and it seems now there are some questions about whether this device will have drivers for the powervr chip. So anyone knows why this is the state of affairs ?

Im not sure, but isnt this a case of $$$? The HTC tynII I believe also had a 3d chip (not from povervr though I believe) and for a long time that didnt come with a driver either. The whole story behind that was I believe that you can buy the chip but that doesnt automatically buy you the driver. You have to fork out extra cash if you want that.

Nokia doesnt have the money?

I find it extremely hard to believe that Nokia doesnt have mountains of cash sitting in a bank. :D

I wanted to know if anyone knows why drivers for Powervr chips arent widely available. Take for example the case of the Nokia N800 (and the 770 before that I believe), the device shipped with a 3D chip in it, but for the entire lifetime of the product a 3D driver has not been made available. Painful as that is, it doesnt affect me directly.
see http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21697&highlight=powervr
Ditto for the beagleboard. Where I have read multiple posts about the lack of drivers
. beagleboard will have the drivers nou there are beta drivers out there
http://groups.google.com/group/beag...bb79383525?lnk=gst&q=POWERVR#14af5abb79383525

Currently, there is a PowerVR SDK currently in private beta. It is
running under Linux and the evil skull demo was running under Linux.
Programming the PowerVR outside of Linux would be very difficult due
to a lack of available drivers and PowerVR hardware documentation.
The 3D SDK/drivers for Linux will be released before the end of the
year. You can get started coding for OpenGLES 1.1/2.0 using
Imagination's SDK that utilizes emulation on a PC:

However I am an openpandora early buyer, and it seems now there are some questions about whether this device will have drivers for the powervr chip. So anyone knows why this is the state of affairs ?
the Pandora people they have the drivers http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=45406&view=findpost&p=672351

Hmm the nokia 810 link basically says no drivers.

The beagleboard link says drivers sometime next year.

The openpandora link says that they dont know when it will be out. :cry: (the current kernel tree doesnt have the driver).

Im not sure, but isnt this a case of $$$? The HTC tynII I believe also had a 3d chip (not from povervr though I believe) and for a long time that didnt come with a driver either. The whole story behind that was I believe that you can buy the chip but that doesnt automatically buy you the driver. You have to fork out extra cash if you want that.

You also have some tricky IP issues with Linux drivers, one false move an all you driver source could end up in the public domain thanks to the GPL.

IP providers often impose (and quite rightly) tight controls on licensees of driver source. This is particularly purtinent with shader based systems due to the shader compiler being hosted on platform. These often contain a lot of "secret sauce".

BTW - I think thats a Qualcomm based device in the HTC which means AMD/ATI core. It was an OMAP in the original version I think (which you could over clock!). Not strictly relevant, but interesting non the less ;)

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info - I never thought about IP issues being involved.

Just hoping to get my hands on an opengl ES 2 capable device one way or the other, so that I can do some development. I guess I will just have to get by using the es 2 simulator that Imagination Technologies ships.

Thanks for the info - I never thought about IP issues being involved.

Just hoping to get my hands on an opengl ES 2 capable device one way or the other, so that I can do some development. I guess I will just have to get by using the es 2 simulator that Imagination Technologies ships.

Most of the major manufacturers and IP providers have developer programs. Try tapping one of them for a development board. There always on the look out for demo content etc.

You might have to sign a nasty NDA, but at least you'll get a real deal platform.

I would assume you'd have to look in the direction of TI for drivers, as they are the supplier of the Omap chip in the pandora that has "IMG inside" (listens for the jingle)

Dumb question: does the Nokia N800 contain MBX or SGX?

I think N800 is a PXA250 or similar Xscale chip isn't it? The N810 was the first OMAP based device and I think its a 2420, which would mean MBX and VGP. Same as the N93 (the camcordery one?) and N95.

I would assume you'd have to look in the direction of TI for drivers, as they are the supplier of the Omap chip in the pandora that has "IMG inside" (listens for the jingle)

Just be prepared to give away your first born to get at them :LOL:

Pandora is not really an OEM device, its more of an "Enthusiast" dev, board, so it is actually a bit slack of them not to have secured a method of releasing the drivers.

Mind you the consequences of an IP breach maybe more than they could bare...

Would be in PowerVR's favour though to "do a deal" to give them a source of cheap, readily available development system like that (can't imagine OMAP dev. kits are cheap through a disty - thats if you can get them at all).

Pandora is not really an OEM device, its more of an "Enthusiast" dev, board, so it is actually a bit slack of them not to have secured a method of releasing the drivers.
the people behind the pandora have stated many time the drivers will be releasing
when pandora will come out

According to this article

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9561669149.html

The N800 is Omap2420 (hence full MBX)

The N810 uses it too, but clocks it quicker

Nokia has commited to Omap3 (SGX) for the next one:-
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9093153240.html

Thought so; I was wondering since the original poster was asking for SGX drivers.

Mind you the consequences of an IP breach maybe more than they could bare...

Would be in PowerVR's favour though to "do a deal" to give them a source of cheap, readily available development system like that (can't imagine OMAP dev. kits are cheap through a disty - thats if you can get them at all).

It's times more easier for PowerVR to release their reference drivers for MBX/SGX on their homesite. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't anyway.

It's times more easier for PowerVR to release their reference drivers for MBX/SGX on their homesite. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't anyway.
My understanding is that Imagination policy for drivers is that the chip maker is responsible for driver distribution (see question 3 here).

The BeagleBoard (link) is a nice low-priced ($150) dev board based on OMAP3530 (Cortex-A8, C64x+, SGX). Beta linux SGX drivers have been demonstrated (OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0).

Neat! Thats a hell of a lot better than the $1495 for the official TI eval board.

Says on the Beagleboard.org site about Cortex A8 being superscalar... I'm not sure thats true.

Back