The Game Technology discussion thread *Read first post before posting*

heres something interesting i just realized about rage on the 360 which has to do with its dynamic resolution scaling. before lets establish that the maximum resolution of for no tiling is 1152x720 with no AA.
Rage isn't using deferred rendering, so they could simply manage with just a simple 8888 (or 10f-10f-10f-2) 32 bit render target + 32 bit depth (24f-s8). 1280x720*4*2 = 7.2MB. They only need tiling if they use MRT (multiple render target) rendering (needed for efficient deferred rendering) or if they use a 16f-16f-16f-16f color buffer. As all the lights to static geometry are baked to virtual texture in Rage, I do not see any reason to use 16f buffer to store the rendered image (HDR image can be stored in tonemapped LDR range in the virtual texture, so there's no need for HDR buffers runtime).

Sebbbi you think they're using HDR color precision and dynamic lighting? I thought it was more simple than that and I my only complaint would be the overexposed and clipped highlights in certain scenes...

For example here
amazing1.jpg

Considering DF didn't say anything about dropping into lower than 1152 my guess will be that this is the lowest point the resolutions drops to maintain performance.

Also it will be interesting if Al can tell us how much of the time the 360 version runs at sub-HD, the PS3 version supposedly runs at 640*720 a lot of the time so I'm curious to also know how often the 360 version runs at 1152*720 res. :)
Do they actually mention that? How often does it run at 640x720? I didn't notice any sub-HD look when I played.

Do they actually mention that? How often does it run at 640x720? I didn't notice any sub-HD look when I played.

Well, DF said ps3 goes sub HD more often to 360 version but not necessary means ps3 subHD most of the time... at least is not what Carmak has claims (however he has said too ps3 version has less pop in texture than 360 version DVD) so I tend to believe more to the developer(obviously when he is reliable) no offence to any others...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, you'd have to saddle me with analysing 10,000 frames to get an accurate idea of just how often and when they drop. :p

All I know is that the PS3 seems to drop in resolution more significantly in similar scenes for what images I have looked at.

Thanks Al, I'm really surprised in a positive way that a lot of people that play the PS3 version hardly notice when the engine drops the res.

They did:

My bad, I totally forgot about that cut-scene...what is really interesting is that even though the game changes resolution on the fly the guys at DF stated that in the 360 version the IQ was pretty consistent, I can't wait to play the game myself and see this.

It's really great to see all those latest awesome looking titles and these tricks and new techniques we're seeing from devs after 5-6 years from the PS360 launch...very interesting stuff.

I'll go a little off-topic and say that I can't wait to see if and how much Remedy modified/improved their AW engine in terms of IQ. :p

Thanks Al, I'm really surprised in a positive way that a lot of people that play the PS3 version hardly notice when the engine drops the res.

My bad, I totally forgot about that cut-scene...what is really interesting is that even though the game changes resolution on the fly the guys at DF stated that in the 360 version the IQ was pretty consistent, I can't wait to play the game myself and see this.

It's really great to see all those latest awesome looking titles and these tricks and new techniques we're seeing from devs after 5-6 years from the PS360 launch...very interesting stuff.

I'll go a little off-topic and say that I can't wait to see if and how much Remedy modified/improved their AW engine in terms of IQ. :p

I would expect a lot of improvement in terms of IQ from them. The reason for the poor IQ in AW is their use of 4xMSAA as it was really expensive resource wise, but it seems like they are experimenting with ryoku's MLAA and FXAA going by some of the comments on their forum.

I would expect a lot of improvement in terms of IQ from them. The reason for the poor IQ in AW is their use of 4xMSAA as it was really expensive resource wise, but it seems like they are experimenting with ryoku's MLAA and FXAA going by some of the comments on their forum.
If they do go for something different than MSAA they need to rewrite their foliage rendering code.
AW used alpha to coverage so they didn't need any sorting or blending for trees and still got decent quality.

those shots are a bit hard to spot if there is missing SSAO or bokeh DOF. Last shot on page one could be some SSAO on PS3 or just shadow.

Anyone checked the NFS: The Run demo on the 360? (PS3 version is still not up) game looks sub-HD with some sort of post-processing AA (maybe FXAA because the IQ is quite blurry)...the IQ is definitely inferior to BF3's beta.

They look pretty similar visually, except the lighting and glows seem to have an edge on the PS3.

Don't confuse a fatter bloom for being better. The bloomscale factor probably just needs adjusting if they're using different buffer formats (rgba vs fp10). The bloom on PS3 is overpowering the objects in a couple images, which I wouldn't call "correct" nor "better", hardly.

those shots are a bit hard to spot if there is missing SSAO or bokeh DOF. Last shot on page one could be some SSAO on PS3 or just shadow.

Or just slight differences/issues with gamma/post-processing between platforms.

Yes... in those screens; but imho in others shots comparison I don't catch any particular difference on both platform like the previous chpater, where was enouogh undeniable the lack of SSAO on the ps3. Here the only thing evident seem the slight blurried IQ on the ps3 of post processing AA, but honestly I'm not found any others lack in IQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone checked the NFS: The Run demo on the 360? (PS3 version is still not up) game looks sub-HD with some sort of post-processing AA (maybe FXAA because the IQ is quite blurry)...the IQ is definitely inferior to BF3's beta.

pretty sure the 360 version is 1280x720, ps3 version 1280x704 with the familiar borders.

http://livedoor.2.blogimg.jp/ps360/imgs/7/a/7ac58d8b.png
PS3
http://livedoor.2.blogimg.jp/ps360/imgs/7/7/7758988c.png

its weird because this seems consistent with BF3 BETA. doesnt have some of the lighting improvements, also running full frame on 360. I feel like NFS is based on the older forked FB 2.0 which BF3 beta ran on. because the final version of BF3 on 360 has the same lighting(see repi's tweets), and the same 1280x704 res as the ps3 version.

Back