The Game Technology discussion thread *Read first post before posting*

Image quality is way too good. The empty shells are too rounded and perfectly shaped for such small and insignificant objects and the smoke coming out of them is realistic and too well made again for something that small.

Most likely prerendered with in game assets used

The shells aren't as hyper-tessellated as you think either... you can actually see the flat sides on the perimeter of the bullet whose primer is facing the camera. The blue casings have even fewer polys. Anyways, this is getting silly. Heck, you can even see the edge aliasing on the bullet casings themselves in the screenshot.

How it interacts with sun(or other lights) is really up to the lighting model used, not AO itself. There's usually nothing with most AO methods(short of the ones that bake AO directly into color-maps) that prevents you from correctly interacting with light.

Of course, and that was exactly my point regarding Uncharted 2. :p

the Ubi method is called dynamic occlusion or something right, it was used in AC2B, POP, and Conviction. I think they mention it was cheaper than other method and works better for them. I thought it looks kind of similar to U2, not very wide and not very rough on the edge; but it shows up under sunlight.

The only game ubi AO was used in was conviction. ACB (in cutscenes and certain situations) and PoP used ssao (very low res looking too).

Also, I know ND said it only applied to ambient but U2's ssao does show up under sunlight, just not very bright sunlight.

The only game ubi AO was used in was conviction. ACB (in cutscenes and certain situations) and PoP used ssao (very low res looking too).

Also, I know ND said it only applied to ambient but U2's ssao does show up under sunlight, just not very bright sunlight.

I remember they claiming Graw2 featured AO and SSS (IIRC) aswell... But no idea if it was dynamic or pre baked...

Video for new Konami multiplatform engine "FOX".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjFWLEBFlOc&feature=player_embedded

hBVgP.jpg

ytPjH.jpg

oHj7j.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty nice, but I wonder what platform that's running on. Should support 360, PS3, NGP and maybe PC.

In the video you're seeing the 360 version (he has three controllers lying before him, 360, PS3, and PC) but he picks up the 360 one and that's the one running on the screen he's controlling. I think it looks very promising. I presume we'll get next Nintendo's console added soon enough, and who knows the NGP too (would make some sense, though obviously more work).

In the video you're seeing the 360 version (he has three controllers lying before him, 360, PS3, and PC) but he picks up the 360 one and that's the one running on the screen he's controlling. I think it looks very promising. I presume we'll get next Nintendo's console added soon enough, and who knows the NGP too (would make some sense, though obviously more work).

Don't see 360 dev kit or PS3 dev kit, more a this stage of dev 360 controller on PC dev engine. ;)

Interesting painterly artstyle, very noticeable on the boy's shading. I wonder if that's a post effect or part of the art assets/shaders? Would be good to have switchable art-styles that could be plugged in over a game's general look. eg. Cell shaded, painted, Okami style, conventional, realistic.

I don't like the low contrast... Also, it reminds me of the first Uncharted's first movies...

Back