The Framerate Analysis Thread part 2

Not really, all DMC games targeted 60FPS and succeeded in sustaining a solid framerate for the most part unlike GOW games which never targeted 60FPS and just ran with an unlocked framerate.

Not really, all DMC games targeted 60FPS and succeeded in sustaining a solid framerate for the most part unlike GOW games which never targeted 60FPS and just ran with an unlocked framerate.

Ok, any videos that you can recommend? I don’t know if I’m wrong but I think I saw a framerate analysis video where it was not stable, but I cannot find it.

PS: Can anyone recommend a good program that I can use to analyze the framerate from a video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutscene framerate is a bit disasterous on 360, but they dont seem that different in gameplay.

Looks like they're really pushing the engine, don't remember the framerate being so terrible in the first game.

It was actually. Grand Pulse on the 360 was more or less locked at 20 fps, and while GP was fine on the PS3, that version still had some massive and very visible framerate drops during the few actual real-time cut-scenes. Most of the cut-scenes in FFXIII were pre-recorded, so they were of course silky smooth.

whats the framerate on RE4 HD?

as for FFXIII-2, the reason the framerate isnt as good as ff13 is probably because the assets weren't as polished. XIII-2 was intended to be quick turnaround so there probably wasnt engineers to fine tune the assets so that it would never drop.

PS3 is the same resolution (XIII 720p/XIII-2 720p) but 360 went up (XIII 576p/XIII-2 720p). Resolution isnt really the full equation anyways because even the PS3 version has framerate issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
The framerate in RE4 HD (PS3 version) is very good (as in 30 fps, or at least reasonably close to that mark). There is a hint of slow down during the boss battle with the village chief in the burning cottage, but that's the only instance where it occurred.

Yeah, it does look like the crowd rendering is the main culprit... it is rather curious that they effectively save 6ms at worst (45fps shooting up to 60 now) just by skipping the rather sparse crowds. Wonder how they implemented that.

Yeah, it does look like the crowd rendering is the main culprit... it is rather curious that they effectively save 6ms at worst (45fps shooting up to 60 now) just by skipping the rather sparse crowds. Wonder how they implemented that.

Just because the crowd is missing doesn't mean it's the only reason it's now running 33% faster in worst cases..

It could be all kinds of things. Though, since ALL people are missing (at least that's how the screenshots look at PS360s blog), it has to mean that they were a bigger reason, as the game sure does look quite a bit more ... lifeless without the crowds.

I never played the game, but was it really worth it to sacrifice all the eye candy for a stable 60 fps? I mean it's not like the framerate was bad before. 53-54 fps is hardly a low framerate.

Back