The Framerate Analysis Thread part 2

im rather surprised that call of duty classic on 360 has some Framerate drops.
a game from 2003? im guessing its just lazy coding.

Its double buffered AND V-Synced , so its either 60FPS or 30FPS [when it drops]
Alstrong already mentioned it in the last page.

Its double buffered AND V-Synced , so its either 60FPS or 30FPS [when it drops]
Alstrong already mentioned it in the last page.

I was wrong going by ps360's analysis. :) It appeared to be a bigger drop when I went through the demo (judder perhaps).

I was wrong going by ps360's analysis. :) It appeared to be a bigger drop when I went through the demo (judder perhaps).
The fps drops feel that way on the PSN version, particularly when walking by larger columns of smoke. A performance analysis should be done on that version too.

Grandmaster, are you going to do an analysis of the Dante's Inferno demo, or will you wait 'til the 360 version is out first to do a comparison?

I'll stick up a post today. It is v-synced, 720p with no AA, 60fps, and drops literally one or two frames. Cut-scenes are v-synced 30fps with the odd (painful) transition into pre-rendered, jarring FMVs that have far superior art quality to the engine cut-scenes.

I would do a demo comparison but I think it's out on Dec 24 and I'll be on holiday!

Dante's Inferno Demo PS3

Part1 Avg:59.990 Tear:0.000%
http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/472/

Part2 Avg:60.000 Tear:0.000%
http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/473/

Wow, that's excellent. Are there any other games (not including 1 on 1 fighting games) that manage a literally perfect 60fps refresh like that? Forza 3? Quite an achievement for an action game where the load is bound to vary an awful lot throughout. Even moreso when you consider its a PS3 title at full 720p resolution with a lot of transparency effects. Good work.

Wonder if they keep up that level of performance throughout the full game.

The camera views in the demo were fairly controlled, but yeah... would be interesting to see how it holds up later or if they continue to keep a rather short draw distance...

The transparency effects were also at a lower resolution too, which helps as usual.

The camera views in the demo were fairly controlled, but yeah... would be interesting to see how it holds up later or if they continue to keep a rather short draw distance...

The transparency effects were also at a lower resolution too, which helps as usual.
Not necessary seeing Bayonetta on the ps3 :cry:

The game seems to mostly run on stages as well. It was pretty much arena style where u are fighting in a small area to clear whatever obstacle just fell in your way and with no control over the camera that should save a lot towards low RAM use at different parts of the level.

Wow, that's excellent. Are there any other games (not including 1 on 1 fighting games) that manage a literally perfect 60fps refresh like that? Forza 3? Quite an achievement for an action game where the load is bound to vary an awful lot throughout. Even moreso when you consider its a PS3 title at full 720p resolution with a lot of transparency effects. Good work.

Trials HD managed a perfect 60 with 0 torn frames. Considering how good it looks and the tech behind it that's pretty impressive.:smile:

Mod removal : Not dicsussing framerate

Hey Grandmaster I was wondering if you could check the latency of the Uncharted 2 controller response like you did with other games like Killzone 2 and Halo 3 etc? I was wondering if the rendering engine and triple buffering might have something to do with how responsive the game is feeling. I think im noticing some latency but im not exactly an objective source and nor am as skilled judge as some other people.

Yes Grandmaster already once said [during the MP beta phase] that he noticed a latency increase in input delay & I believe thats pretty much solely due to V-Sync & Triple Buffering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I just found the Uncharted 2 technical analysis and he figures it at 133ms but I believe he is waiting for a latency testing module from Ben Heck to do any conclusive analysis on the PS3 games according to that article. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-uncharted-article?page=1

Actually im not sure if im going crazy or anything but I was wondering if they might be delaying the effects of the bullets by a few frames to combat latency? I.E. Frame 1 fire, frame 3 enemy hit response starts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's more a deal with cognitive resonance. You read the article, so you think it's less responsive. Honestly, I played the game before I read any of that and had zero problems with how it feels. I think some of it has to do with how they implemented their animations. You can't just cancel out of some of them.

Maybe it has something to do with how they are using the SPEs to generate intermediate animations?

Back