Vista+Apache+PHP+PERL=Headache...

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
I've just taken on a job that requires me to use PHP for the server side stuff. Being a Perl man myself I've never used this new fangled razzamatazz. Anyway I setup Apache 2.2 with ActivePerl (cheating I know) and then downloaded the latest version of PHP and installed that. Did all the editing in the httpd.conf file to get them all talking. Which was great.

But, and there's always one isn't there, Perl runs fine but PHP always crashes when a script runs. Or rather Vista decides that Apache should bomb out.

'Apache HTTP Server has stopped working' No it hasn't... It's still running fine.
Appcrash php5ts.dll - but PHP's still chugging away.

If I run PHP from cmd (admin rights) I get CLI has stopped working instead.

I've looked around for answers but haven't found anything yet. It looks to me as though the dll isn't returning fast enough and Vista (in its infinite, and shite, wisdom) is deciding that it's crashed... When it hasn't.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I've just taken on a job that requires me to use PHP for the server side stuff. Being a Perl man myself I've never used this new fangled razzamatazz. Anyway I setup Apache 2.2 with ActivePerl (cheating I know) and then downloaded the latest version of PHP and installed that. Did all the editing in the httpd.conf file to get them all talking. Which was great.

But, and there's always one isn't there, Perl runs fine but PHP always crashes when a script runs. Or rather Vista decides that Apache should bomb out.

'Apache HTTP Server has stopped working' No it hasn't... It's still running fine.
Appcrash php5ts.dll - but PHP's still chugging away.

If I run PHP from cmd (admin rights) I get CLI has stopped working instead.

I've looked around for answers but haven't found anything yet. It looks to me as though the dll isn't returning fast enough and Vista (in its infinite, and shite, wisdom) is deciding that it's crashed... When it hasn't.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Before you go blaming Vista, attach a debugger to the PHP worker process and figure out what's crashing.

Web servers are typically designed so that even if one part crashes, the rest can keep functioning. Some web servers do it by farming out requests to worker processes that can be easily discarded and restarted should they crash out.

I just blame Vista for everything... Global warming, stomach ache, and a general outbreak of fungal growths amongst the amphibian population!

But I will investigate further, I was just seeing if anyone else had encountered the same issue.

you could always set up a VM and use whatever OS, let's say virtualbox and debian.
it would be very nice to install that and get it crashing again.

I'm too lazy to get networking between host and guest though. weird, virtualbox is super easy otherwise but I can't figure that part out, there seems to be ill-documented command line work to do.
so, sorry if I'm squatting your thread :).

The easiest thing to do would be to use XAMPP, look it up, you'll be much happier afterwards.

Note the VM option, with an image that's largely the same as your production server is the way to go. Especially apache, php, and extension version, also the bitness.

Back