AMD RV770 refresh -> RV790

Of course it's a real product. What manufacturer would go through the trouble of R&Ding a product, slapping their sticker on it, and then hosting pictures of it on their website if they had no intention of selling it?

It wasn't listed as a product on their website when I posted the link.

Jawed

Just because it's not yet listed for sale on a manufacturer's website doesn't mean it's not a real product. Manufacturers are always behind the times with this sort of thing anyway. It's not uncommon at all to see a product on-sale at Newegg before the vendor even acknowledges it exists (by way of updating their product page).

And product mock-up pix for items that don't ever make it to retail also appear on these websites too.

Jawed

And product mock-up pix for items that don't ever make it to retail also appear on these websites too.

Jawed

I've never seen such a thing occur.

I think you're missing the important detail of said product appearing on the manufacturer's site. Neither of the sites you've linked are manufacturer websites.

I think you're missing the important detail of said product appearing on the manufacturer's site. Neither of the sites you've linked are manufacturer websites.

Well obviously they are no longer on the manufacturer's websites as the products got dropped somewhere between conception and making it to market.

I've seen this happen plenty of times with manufacturer's such as Asus, Creative Labs, etc...

It's one thing to announce/mock up a potential product and then successfully get it to market.

So it's not always a given that just because you see it on a manufacturer's website, or see a press release about it on a manufacturer's website that it'll actually make it to market. Although in most cases, it will.

Heck, there's been products from Asus that were demo'd to the press, but never made it to market.

Regards,
SB

Me too has seen leaked pics of prototypes and mock-ups and last minute cancels floating around. I guess better believe a product when it's properly in the retail channel. *cough* Voodoo5 6000 *cough*

What's the point of 3 giant fans, huge heatpipes and 3 heatsinks... when it's pointing the wrong way (leading heated air back into the case, instead of going through the vents out back) ? ;)

Well, that can actually be perfectly all right if you have good (lots of big slow) case fans otherwise. Very probably it is quieter than the usual arrangement blowing straight out through the rear slot. Or more effective for overclocking, or both same time. (The impact of blowing the heated air back at the card is negligible; the heatpipes and the GPUs [and possibly memory chips, can't see that very well] are efficiently cooled regardless; not that you claimed anything about that though.)

Any idea of when these might come out ? I want to ditch my 3870x2 for a single card that hopefully works well with the new stream stuff from ati as I do alot of video editing. I also don't want to regress in performance , though I understand that even a 4850 is faster than my setup. But i'd like to go from 512megs to 1gig of ram for things like the oblivon texture mods and most likely fallout 3 mods.

I'm starting to think both NV and ATI are playing "let's see what the other guy releases." before doing anything prior to 40nm. And one or the other has a chip already waiting in case the other team announces an interim chip.

Although it's possible NV's Big Bang II thingy was their whole wad before 40 nm. :p

Regards,
SB

Do we have any leads other than W1zzard's article suggesting that RV790 might be a real chip?

It contrasts with ATI's big-picture view of maximizing ROI, though.
Price cuts, a driver that offloads overhead to other cores, and you've got a nice deal.

Expreview put up an article about GTX285... but at the end they also mention RV775XT. Funny thing is that today I had 2 sources contact me about it too. And I also heard that RV740 (supposedly an 8 SIMD, 128-bit, 40nm GPU -> sounds like RV730 on 40nm) is already sampling and is scheduled for release very soon.

And I also heard that RV740 (supposedly an 8 SIMD, 128-bit, 40nm GPU -> sounds like RV730 on 40nm) is already sampling and is scheduled for release very soon.

Can't be. TSMC's 40 nm process isn't that far along yet.

Back