AMD RV770 refresh -> RV790

Yeah thats what I thought. As an architecture though, GT200 is already faster. It takes 2 RV770's to beat 1 GT200. So GT200b obviously won't be in any danger from that point of view.

True, but when you consider that the fastest RV770-based SKUs aren't far behind the fastest GT200-based SKUs given the same memory size (and at a much lower price), and those dual RV770 SKUs are MUCH faster than a single GT200, it seems a rather hollow "victory" for NV to have the fastest single GPU. Let's not even drag die size (and all its associated pitfalls) or power consumption/heat dissipation into the matter either, as things get even uglier for NV there ;)

The question is whether GT200b will allow NV to put 2 of them on a single board at greater than 260 clock speeds. Then ATI could be in trouble.

The answer is, of course, no.

I'd put that in the exaggeration basket. If such a response from Nvidia does come to frution, then it would be too little too late.

(Much like how ATI used to respond to Nvidia's products and then Nvidia would simply drop prices because they had an incredibly cheap product to begin with)

I didn't mean serious trouble, just "in danger" of losing the overall performance crown.

Although that will inevitably effect their bottom line.

I don't think they have a thermal solution that can cope.

With what, exactly? 2x GT200b at clocks at least equal to GTX 260? In fact, I'd think, they'd keep the core clock and only improve shader clocks a bit. If power is that crucial, they could probably use some better memory (in a sense that they use clocks that allow them to have a lower voltage step).

What's more of a problem though is to get rid of the hot air with the sandwich-style GX2 9800 used. They barely have any space left for a slot exhaust. That's something they'd have to keep in mind - IMO.

I think I expected a 40nm refresh of RV770 in the new year, much like the R600 to R670 move. It would have been great to have even cheaper and more power efficient 4850 and 4870 chips. However, this seems unlikely now due to the process not being ready. I would expect RV790 to be a 900-950Mhz RV770, if it appears at all.

What's more of a problem though is to get rid of the hot air with the sandwich-style GX2 9800 used. They barely have any space left for a slot exhaust. That's something they'd have to keep in mind - IMO.
It's more of a problem of external bracket design. They'd better make a big exaust hole on the back of the card instead of doing some lame additional interfaces.
From termal management point of view a sandwich-type multichip board is probably better than Radeon X2-type board -- both chips are cooled with cold intake air while on the X2 board the second chip is getting the hot air from the first radiator.

From termal management point of view a sandwich-type multichip board is probably better than Radeon X2-type board -- both chips are cooled with cold intake air while on the X2 board the second chip is getting the hot air from the first radiator.
That doesn't matter if the solution is designed correctly. We're pretty much at a 300W board and thermal management is fine.

It's more of a problem of external bracket design. They'd better make a big exaust hole on the back of the card instead of doing some lame additional interfaces.

That matters how? 1-2C difference between the cores, if even that...

9800GX2 has lower clocks than 9800GTX,

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=560&card2=559

doesn't it seem likely that a GTX260GX2 (wonder what they would call it, that's stupid) would be similarly crippled?

Jawed

Possibly, but back then, NV didn't need to have it running at the same speed. This time they absolutely do. Anything less that stock 260 clocks and it will come second place to the X2. And if that happens, you kinda think, well whats the point?

Back