Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

So new direct feed promotional footage of Driveclub has appeared, this is a piece of the footage:

https://cdn.mediacru.sh/53SBHMUMLjfr.mp4

Non washed out colors download link: http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/11868106/file.html

I am skeptic that's gameplay footage, it looks too clean, maybe supersampled?

What do you think?

Looks like in game footage, no tell-tale signs of offline rendering or rerendered footage. As for the IQ, it looks gorgeous. Plus, one of the Devs mentioned their using multiple AA solutions for different parts within the game. Hopefully EG/DF will have an interview with one of the Devs from Evolution Studios.

Two Shadow of Mordor directfeeds from Xbone
SQjcZHO.png

o8Ww6aQ.png

User also reported that for him "it looks" like 900p, and framerate was locked to 30. What does B3D pixel counting wizards say?

Two Shadow of Mordor directfeeds from Xbone

o8Ww6aQ.png

User also reported that for him "it looks" like 900p, and framerate was locked to 30. What does B3D pixel counting wizards say?
Yep. From this second picture, specular highlights on the mine entrance just to the left of the dude. 20 steps in 24 pixels == 0.8333, which is exactly 900p ratios.

Not that that makes mean pixel counting wizard! Just found a very obvious reference point for the most basic of pixel counting charms.

pretty sure its unlocked on ps4

Ok because the entire internet is all over the map on this.
Tons of people at neogaf have the ps4 version and claim it gets no where close to 60 some even say it's locked @30fps. Then you have articles from game sites claiming a locked 60 fps. None of the reviews I have read mention any number they just say that there are some dips. This game being open world plus the fact Monolith havent being talking up targeting 60 fps lead me to believe that it run either 30 locked or hovers around the high 30s low 40s.
I cant wait until DF run the tests so it can settle some of this uncertainty.

I read one IGN reviewer somewhere (reddit?) that it's 60fps but not locked, ie., uncapped.

We'll see on the framerate stress test how low it goes.

EDIT: I have just see the gamersyde HQ video. The game is definitely @30fps with some "high quality" motion blur, that's why I think some people thought if was running at 60fps because of the moblur optical illusion. :rolleyes:

Also the game is really sharp with good clarity. The post AA is super light focusing only on the really contrasted edges like on the main characters. Also I noticed some good or sometimes really good texture filtering on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well people are also saying that XB1 version is 30FPS locked. This leads me to believe that the PS4 version is just uncapped framerate which hovers north of 30 .

Well people are also saying that XB1 version is 30FPS locked. This leads me to believe that the PS4 version is just uncapped framerate which hovers north of 30 .

No, it's definitely capped at 30fps on the gamersyde video. No judder.

Many people playing the game confirmed it on the Gaf thread.

The difference is in the resolution, not in the framerate like Tomb Raider DE, Diablo 3 or Destiny:

PS4 at 1080p
XB1 at ~900p

No, it's definitely capped at 30fps on the gamersyde video. No judder.

Many people playing the game confirmed it on the Gaf thread.

The difference is in the resolution, not in the framerate like Tomb Raider DE, Diablo 3 or Destiny:

PS4 at 1080p
XB1 at ~900p

Yeah that is the impression I got from neogaf as well.
There are still a number of click bate sites claiming it is a confirmed locked 60 fps.
That is one con of all the focus on resolution and framerate. Alot of so called journalists can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

That is one con of all the focus on resolution and framerate. Alot of so called journalists can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.
As somebody who listens to a few gaming podcasts, my take away is that few gaming journalists understand anything about the hardware and technical aspects of games. And in my view, this is a good thing - it frees them to focus on gameplay :yes:

Call out technical issues, like poor framerates and tearing when they are apparent, but leave the technical analysis to people like Digital Foundry.

As somebody who listens to a few gaming podcasts, my take away is that few gaming journalists understand anything about the hardware and technical aspects of games. And in my view, this is a good thing - it frees them to focus on gameplay :yes:

I think the more you know the better you can cover a type of media. It is sad that people do not understand the technical issues because then they cannot articulate why something feels the way it feels or draw connections between different games.

Yeah that is the impression I got from neogaf as well.
There are still a number of click bate sites claiming it is a confirmed locked 60 fps.

My theory is that some people (but not all) may have genuinely mistaken the game as a 60fps-ish game because of the high dose of motion blur in the game.

For instance I have seen one GAF guy comparing the "smoothness" of the game something between 30fps and 60fps modes of TLOUR which is really telling.

We have a whole thread here talking about the delicate subject of the illusory smoothness brought by motion blur. :yep2:

Back