Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

I'm getting a bit fed up with all this gratuitous and frankly distracting chromatic aberration, as now also seen in the Silent Hills demo.

Their postAA seems to miss some very nocticeable highly contrasted edges, weird...Are they even using any AA?

Given that they're still ~15 months away from release (assuming a Nov. '15 release, which seems like a fairly safe assumption), and still over 4 months off from the (very early) beta, I'd imagine that their framebuffer and AA setup is very, very far from being set in stone, especially with how aggressively they seem to be targetting 60fps.

Also, Remedy have uploaded the Quantum Break gameplay demo to vimeo, which should offer marginally better quality than Youtube.

I'm getting a bit fed up with all this gratuitous and frankly distracting chromatic aberration, as now also seen in the Silent Hills demo.

Welcome to the lens flare for the digital generation, I remember watching the extras to Sergio Leone's Fistful of Dollars and the cinema historian was pointing out that prior to this lens flare was regarded as a major fail because it's an artefact of multiple lens rather than an effect that can be seen by the eye. Leone sold it as a way to express the oppressive heat of the desert, of course our problem in games is that they're far more JJ Abrams with the lens flare than Sergio Leone...

Welcome to the lens flare for the digital generation, I remember watching the extras to Sergio Leone's Fistful of Dollars and the cinema historian was pointing out that prior to this lens flare was regarded as a major fail because it's an artefact of multiple lens rather than an effect that can be seen by the eye. Leone sold it as a way to express the oppressive heat of the desert, of course our problem in games is that they're far more JJ Abrams with the lens flare than Sergio Leone...

But I do see lens flare in real life :???:

I've examined the best of the best gameplay footage out there of Quantum Break to exhaustion, and found very little to support anything. The rendering distance that starts to show links on a chain link fence without res distortion, is at a reasonable distance. And even still, There's too much noise coming from both the media and the the game's filter.
image.png

The only thing that strikes me odd is the amount of fuzzy distortion going on for the hair. the depth of field or post processing effects could be running at a lower internal res than the native frame buffer. ever time the character moves there seems to be some fuzzy ghosting going on for the hair in particular.

The only thing that strikes me odd is the amount of fuzzy distortion going on for the hair. the depth of field or post processing effects could be running at a lower internal res than the native frame buffer. ever time the character moves there seems to be some fuzzy ghosting going on for the hair in particular.

Guessing that has to do with temporal AA.

...needs some tweaking...

whatever it is, the hair was the only thing which stood out. the aliasing looks to be cleaned up in the majority of segments. if it's 900p like Ryse there would be no way knowing that in the videos.

I've examined the best of the best gameplay footage out there of Quantum Break to exhaustion, and found very little to support anything. The rendering distance that starts to show links on a chain link fence without res distortion, is at a reasonable distance. And even still, There's too much noise coming from both the media and the the game's filter.
image.png

You shouldn't use postimg anymore, at least for >= 1080p pics.

I know because I used to but they are doing some url redirections (maybe depending or the size of the image) and even if you can see your own screenshots, we can't, anyway I can't for this one.

I took the liberty to re-upload your (very blurry and indecipherable) image at picpar:

v3ab.png

You shouldn't use postimg anymore, at least for >= 1080p pics.

I know because I used to but they are doing some url redirections (maybe depending or the size of the image) and even if you can see your own screenshots, we can't, anyway I can't for this one.

I notice that. thanks for the heads up.

I took the liberty to re-upload your (very blurry and indecipherable) image at picpar:

v3ab.png

That picture was for when the links on the fence becomes in view, which yeah you can't tell much from the motion of it. It starts at 4:12 in the Quantum Break Gameplay Demo. at this point though we're just grasping at straws.

Anyone interested in doing a pixel count of the PS4 version running Assassins Creed Unity at gamescom?
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_assassin_s_creed_unity_gc_commented_walkthrough-32776_en.html

Good quality video, should be cool.

That isn't of the ps4 version, an xbox controller was used. not sure if this was of the XB1 version, the performance didn't seem consistent though. IQ feels like it's using pp AA. can't tell much apart from that.

Here are some screen grabs.
gEab.png

hEab.png

jEab.png

kEab.png

Those driveclub images have a very bad quality. There are some interpolation artefacts as if taken on a 1080i camera or compressed on a 1080i stream/file. I had already seen those artefacts on previous bad videos (Forza 5 notably). Better ignore those.

For the record during the last year or so all previous decent video and screenshots of Driveclub have been pixel counted at 1080p.

Those AC Unity are too blurry to judge anything. Can't you screengrab some better pics with some visible edges? I have a ~2MBit/s bandwidth connection and that's a 1.5GBytes file...

Back