Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

It looks like native res during shots that probably don't have much motion, so I doubt they're doing anything to boost sampling above 1920x1080 (like MSAA, temporal reprojection, etc). Some edges appear antialiased, though.

1080p with some sort of PPAA?

Halo 5 Guardians
gamescom-2014-halo-5-cusg1.jpg

It looked really lowres and has a lot of aliasing in motion

Most likely a real early work in progress. H5 will probably not be released for another 15 months so that gives 343 PLENTY of time to polish things up. Heck we're still 4 months away from the beta so things might improve then.

Some sort of bug (perhaps botched motion blur) with the guy on the right holding the gun
But I have to say that noise looks absolutely terrible, what genius thought of that, hopefully it won't become the new 'next thing'

You mean the film grain? Cinematic look ;)

Should also work much better at 1080p compared to the 720p thing in Mass Effect 1...

Some sort of bug (perhaps botched motion blur) with the guy on the right holding the gun
But I have to say that noise looks absolutely terrible, what genius thought of that, hopefully it won't become the new 'next thing'

Probably not a bug. Probably has something to do with one of the time power effects.

You mean the film grain? Cinematic look ;)

Should also work much better at 1080p compared to the 720p thing in Mass Effect 1...

Maybe it fits with the look of the companion tv series.

Edit:
I also kind of liked the film grain in Mass Effect 1. Made me feel like I was watching a sci-fi movie from the 80s on a VHS tape.

Film grain is not noise. At least not the real one(s) - the patterns and colors are specific to the film stock. I'm not proficient enough to tell the type from screenshots though ;)

Film grain is not noise. At least not the real one(s) - the patterns and colors are specific to the film stock. I'm not proficient enough to tell the type from screenshots though ;)
Different films might have different characteristics, and the exact impacts might be different from some sorts of "digital noise," but film grain can definitely be regarded as a noise source. It's a highly randomized aberration to the source data.

I saw the direct feed of this game, hard to spot any edges even in that. seems to be using a strong level of post-AA, or a strong integration of motion blur and post-AA.

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm interested in the interactive silent hills demo/teaser for ps4, does anyone know about that? was the final moments in-game, and what are it's specs?

Back