Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118025270&postcount=2864

Franck O'Connor(343i) said on GAF maybe solo of Halo 2 in Master Chief collection will be sub 1920*1080p.

Classic
1. All MP will be 1080p, 60fps, including H2 and H2 anniversary.
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
3. The H2 Anniversary graphics are from relatively early WIP.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

The first footage of Destiny Beta on XB1 has been leaked: 2 short 720p clips with very very bad quality, barely animated gif quality. (I didn't dare to share the youtube links here).

From what I have watched the game is smooth and is very similar to the PS4 version (same post AA, roughly same lighting and cinematic effects) but most importantly, no screen tearing, at least in this minute of total footage.

But the pixel crawling/shimmering is really obvious even on those bad quality videos. My opinion is that this is clearly not yet 1080p native in this Beta. Maybe they still didn't include the 10% boost from the june SDK.

Yeah I already guessed the beta may be 900P. They didn't seem to have enough time to get it to 1080 after they announced it, to me.

No screen tearing is great to hear. Even back in the Halo days, Bungie have been good at regulating screen-tear to the top of the screen where it's pretty much unnoticeable to the human eye. Now with the new generation of consoles, they should be able to completely get rid of any tearing.

TLOU remastered seemingly "gameplay" pic analysis:

1405516726-2.jpg

The obvious car's edge:

1405516726_2_cropped.png

Height: 9 pixels
Edges counted: ~36

So it's either 8xSSAA or 8xMSAA?

We definitely better wait for verified gameplay screenshots taken by real players. Because 8x**AA seems excessive and bullshot quality IMO.

The HD remaster also up the fps from 30 to 60 in addition to the resolution bump, any other asset/shader improvements, though?

The HD remaster also up the fps from 30 to 60 in addition to the resolution bump, any other asset/shader improvements, though?

Yes for instance they increased by 4x the resolution of textures, very visible here:

fP5WJO3.png

For the rest see previous link by djskribbles...

Height: 9 pixels
Edges counted: ~36

So it's either 8xSSAA or 8xMSAA?
Where are you getting the 8 from? MSAA sample patterns tend to use funky staggered sample points so that on near-horizontal and near-vertical edges you get just as many extra well-spaced stairsteps as you have samples.

Looks like 4x to me.

Where are you getting the 8 from? MSAA sample patterns tend to use funky staggered sample points so that on near-horizontal and near-vertical edges you get just as many extra well-spaced stairsteps as you have samples.

Looks like 4x to me.

I assumed it was 4x on both vertical and horizontal resolution, hence 8xSSAA.

So it's either 4xMSAA or 8xSSAA? Most probably 4xMSAA then.

Was only able to find 1024 (4:5 ratio) for width/horizontal.

edit: [strike]possibly 8:9 ratio for height/vertical -> 640.[/strike] Dunno. It's pretty blurry. Not enough steps/edges to do anything conclusive.

About TLOU, the remaster apparently uses some effects generously while the original used them sparingly, for example the radiosity effect from torch lights.

I'm getting something around 1024 horizontal and maybe 640 or slightly lower vertical?
Horizontal seems pretty solid.

May need an edge with more steps for the vertical (difference between 640 or 624 or 608 etc is pretty tight @ 45 pixels), although tbh, I was expecting 640 for PS3 due to ROP tile alignment (multiple of 64). *shrug* 360 has that 80x16 padding in EDRAM too.

But... maybe they have some other reason for 624 on PS3.

---

It's probably the same on 360 (1024x624), though I wonder if they couldn't have gotten better scaling with 880x720 ala BLOPS2 (similar pixel amount), plus the game is mostly wide open environments, so vertical resolution should help more.

Back