Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

AC U from XO gameplay video:

All Ubisoft (Microsoft's AC Unity and Sony's Far cry 4) high quality footage I have watched most probably run on PCs equiped with very big GPUs, probably on NVidia cards as they partnered with this company for most of their AAA games: Watch_dogs, Assassin's creed and Far Cry.

It's a repeat of E3 2012 Watch_dogs footage shown on a big PC to impress people. Later (one year later) when they showed PS4 footage they explicitely said it was from PS4.

Anyway this AC Unity footage is indeed 1080p native (verified horizontally and vertically on some other screenshot).

Yeah, I would probably just wait until there's something more concrete than conference footage. i.e. publicly accessible demos, not PR footage/captures.

It's a repeat of E3 2012 Watch_dogs footage shown on a big PC to impress people. Later (one year later) when they showed PS4 footage they explicitely said it was from PS4.

..and yet the final build still suffers from quality drop regardless of the platforms. Wait and see we shall.

Curious, when was the first time WD was in a playable form open on the show floor?

Destiny Alpha Version (PS4)

MHFUfPo.jpg

ZJtuhui.jpg

y9BH7mg.jpg

I can understand and accept some average PPAA on a generous 60fps game like BF4, COD or MGS5.

But on a 1.84 tflops machine at only 30fps, still using some cheap and dirty PS360 era FXAA? That's an aberration and an image quality crime.

reality check, your typical $400 consumer device is not a super computer. Having the title on multiple gens and platforms probably didn't help either.

EA also confirmed that the new Battlefield will run at 1080p and 60 fps on the Xbox One.

Link?

The article I read, the dev simple states that the resolutions should be "about the same" on the two platforms, in an impromptu interview with a gaming site.

The fact that even Call of Duty can't pull off a full 900p on Xbox One makes me skeptical that a much more graphically intensive Battlefield game can achieve that benchmark, while maintaining a fairly fluid framerate.

Here is his qoute, seems a bit more explicit than you let on

Battlefield Hardline is already confirmed to be running at 1080p and 60fps on the PlayStation 4, so where does that leave the Xbox One version? Ian confirmed to us, that ‘it should be the same.’

“If you look at the games that Visceral Games has made before, we have always strive for total parity between our platforms,” Ian explained. “Of course, the PC version, it will do whatever your PC can handle, and the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions will obviously not be as high res as compared to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions. But those two [PS4 and Xbox One] should be locked in together.”

There is a little wiggle room.

Hardlines does not look very stressful though.

(for the people that believe in her) Corinne Yu said that the U4 footage was running in realtime on PS4.

So we can analyse the image.. I already see a 1080P frame buffer, but what AA solution?

(for the people that believe in her) Corinne Yu said that the U4 footage was running in realtime on PS4.

So we can analyse the image.. I already see a 1080P frame buffer, but what AA solution?
It's blurred to bits. There's high AA of some form before the camera effects smear the shots into realistic images. Someone will have to frame-advance the video and pick apart the temporal aliasing to have a change at solving the AA method.

I believe the first frames where his watch comes into view, the metal bits surrounding the glass could be maybe reveal aliasing. But as I was currently frame-advancing the video in quicktime on my mac, I can only view the video at 1280 horizontal resolution, where it appears super-sampled (as it should :p )

I'm not seeing a single non-blurred pixel in a number of freeze-frames I've tried, let alone non-blurred pixels on geometry moving in subpixels per frame. Still, I did notice some nose polygons in the close-up when zoomed in 3:1, so I least I can confirm the mesh has polygons!

Well I easily do believe Corinne Yu when she said the trailer was somehow too bad to be a pre-rendered cutscene.

Almost everything except Drake is heavily blurred. For all we know with so much DOF and Post processing effects the environments around him could be PS3 assets. For instance the stream could be directly borrowed from one of TLOU's streams.

But Drake is greatly rendered, yes.

I'm not seeing a single non-blurred pixel in a number of freeze-frames I've tried, let alone non-blurred pixels on geometry moving in subpixels per frame. Still, I did notice some nose polygons in the close-up when zoomed in 3:1, so I least I can confirm the mesh has polygons!

DflPS7X.jpg

That's aboot it.

The really long edge on the right does kinda look subsampled.

Back