Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

How does the text appear on PC?

Good question. Watching the video in motion, that text is expanded using a rather low-tech effect, so the aliasing may be a byproduct of that rather than a helpful hint :(.

All I can think is to look at the UI elements for aliasing - as, obviously, the XB1 UI simply should not have them if it's a native 1080P feed.

mm... Yeah, I was curious about the HUD too. I suppose wait and see for retail captures I suppose. :)

That's that then. Any further commentary can be taken to the other thread.

edit: @Cyan post moved to other thread.

Still, that's like going from a max quality jpg to a png. Strikes me as very pointless. "Now our game takes up 4 times as much space on your tiny-ass HDD for no discernibly visible reason. Enjoy!"
Rayman looks pin sharp on every platfrom already. (the 3ds version of the first game was awful, though)

PNG is compressed. (relatedly, misleading headline?)

Also some lossless compression algorithms may work better for mostly flat textures with occasional sharp changes, compared to cosine transform based lossy compression algorithms.

PNG is designed to do primarily lossless compression.
The "uncompressed" in Rayman probably means "lossless" or "lower compression ratio"

I think it's self-evident they mean 'not lossy compressed' as lossless compression wouldn't make any actual difference. It'd just increase load speeds!

Because hdd read speeds are slower than cpu/mem combo, raw (uncompressed) images would actually slow load times in contrast to any reasonable compression technique.

Back