Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

As usual, there is a touch of blur (but less than BF4) on the PS4 version. But overall I can't believe one version is supposed to have +125% more pixels. they are almost identical.

The *Open-***.png images have exactly the same resolution. Maybe it's because these are cinematics? Not sure about the others cause the view is tilted.

None of this even makes a lick of sense.. it SHOULD look substantially worse on XB1... and yet it looks as though the PS4 version isn't even running at 1080p.. they both look upscaled from 720.

and yet it looks as though the PS4 version isn't even running at 1080p.. they both look upscaled from 720.

Perhaps it's because PS4 is only running at 720p.

/me :runaway: to my shelter.

Well, I'd wait for that rumoured day one patch before settling anything. *shrug* Keep it cool folks.

Perhaps it's because PS4 is only running at 720p.

/me :runaway: to my shelter.

*Mouth agape*

In all seriousness though, now that I've settled down, I would have assume there was some kind of screw up in the capture process, considering both Infinity Ward and Sony have confirmed that Ghosts is running at 1080p natively on PS4. Unless Microsoft did some last minute maneuvering.

Would they just render at 1080p and downscale to 720p? Or would they actually change the framebuffer. I don't know how intensive it is to downscale, so I'm genuinely curious.

If they do it "right", then there should be 2 resolutions for PS4 games.

1080p for native, local play.

720p (and perhaps 30fps) for Gaikai. I can't imagine Sony running 1080p/60fps games from Gaikai (over WAN).

If they do it "right", then there should be 2 resolutions for PS4 games.

1080p for native, local play.

720p (and perhaps 30fps) for Gaikai. I can't imagine Sony running 1080p/60fps games from Gaikai (over WAN).

In the case of Gaikai it would make a lot more sense just to encode the video at 720p/30 rather than actual render at that resolution. Gaikai is just sending a video stream out, and the video encoder on the GPU should be able to handle that, especially if the game is 60Hz and you're only doing 30Hz video.

It absolutely stunning to me that Activision screwed up the PS4 setup so badly, to the point where they inadvertently (?) set it to output 720p instead of 1080p. This, right there, is the reason so many video comparisons (including the IGN comparison video) showed no difference in terms of aliasing or detail between the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

Xbox One reviews were done at Activision, I'm assuming? It strikes me as rather suspicious that the one review event that allowed side-by-side comparisons between the PS4 and Xbox One versions conveniently had the PS4 version "accidentally" set to only output 720p.

It absolutely stunning to me that Activision screwed up the PS4 setup so badly, to the point where they inadvertently (?) set it to output 720p instead of 1080p. This, right there, is the reason so many video comparisons (including the IGN comparison video) showed no difference in terms of aliasing or detail between the PS4 and Xbox One versions.

If they are using these capture devices, then they simply can't capture 1080P@60 video:
http://www.elgato.com/gaming/game-capture-hd

They can either capture 1080P@30 (and look 'less smooth') or 720P@60.

For COD, you could argue that FPS is more important? /shrug

IGN says they can see the 1080p native output on the ps4. Their comparison video says ps4 version is the best due to everything in higher details due to the higher resolution.

Add to that activision themselves have said it runs at 1080p on the ps4. I guess, its just these captures that are messed up.

Yes, that makes most sense. Same with the upscaled F5 image. Chances are the captured detail isn't accurate to the rendered image, going by the total of information available.

This generation will be known for it's many communication blunders prior to starting...

Quaz51 sighting; he weighs in on Call of Duty: Ghosts:

Quaz51 said:
My analyse
Ghost seem:

Solo (more heavy, FX, post-process):
720p on Xone and 720p on PS4 with more stable framerate

Multi:
720p on Xone and 1080p on PS4 with more unstable framerate
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89658985&postcount=297

If Infinity Ward could only achieve 720p (albeit, in single-player) on the PS4, then WOW. Officially the first 720p game on PS4?

If Infinity Ward could only achieve 720p (albeit, in single-player) on the PS4, then WOW. Officially the first 720p game on PS4?

But, if a developer was to do that, they'd logically do it the other way around?
- MP at stable frame rate, lower rez.
- SP at unstable frame rate, higher rez.
(SP is a 'visual treat' with dumb opponents, MP is less visual against more competitive opponents)

And we should be seeing reviewers talking about a difference between SP and MP - and AFAIK no-one has suggested that.

FWIW, that's his analysis based on the few videos out there. He says they're not definitive and says to wait for the retail games with true captures.

And surely I'd the ps4 was set to output 720p as seems to have been suggested it wouldn't render at 1080p anyway.

Maybe they did it to mask the poor frame rate on the ps4 version

Quaz is now pretty confident with the above findings. Very odd choice. Considering SP has a more stable framerate than the X1 version, but MP is less stable, I think they should have just went 900p for the PS4 version like DICE/BF4.

Back