Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

:) just cuz the heat in Perth is keeping up right now... XD

hm...

From the PS3 gallery:
http://i.imgur.com/kJZAdbb.jpg -> 1024x720

From the 360 gallery:
http://i1.minus.com/ibaNFty7sHvJD.JPEG -> 1152x720

I guess the only thing that's changed is the post-processing (mentioned by the developer to be SMAA T2x), although I think only the one shot from LoT managed to show the temporal AA ghost, which may indicate just how good the algorithm is at eliminating it if all the screens so far are an indication. *shrug* I haven't quite seen the usual temporal 2xAA shade (MGS4/Reach).

The texture res differences in their comparison are curious. Did C2 have texture streaming issues? I can't remember the face-offs (+don't have the game).
Have you tried to play it? IQ it's quite strange on ps3; I'm unable to explain, but sharpness/jaggies steps seems to change when the engine struggle. IT's more notable at 1080p, less using 720p.

@assurdum, Crysis 3 seems to have dynamic resolution switching (Try opening the menu while in a game and quickly back out and the resolution will be really low for several frames) so I suppose that could explain it?

Perhaps it's more aggressive on the PS3? Does the IQ dip when theirs a lot of action? Judging from the Youtube videos I could find, the framerate is much smoother on PS3, while on Xbox it can get pretty low when things get hectic, while the IQ is pretty consistent from my experience.

I hope they can get this kind of stuff sorted out before launch, since I would like a stable framerate in the 360 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
@assurdum, Crysis 3 seems to have dynamic resolution switching (Try opening the menu while in a game and quickly back out and the resolution will be really low for several frames) so I suppose that could explain it?

Perhaps it's more aggressive on the PS3? Does the IQ dip when theirs a lot of action? Judging from the Youtube videos I could find, the framerate is much smoother on PS3, while on Xbox it can get pretty low when things get hectic, while the IQ is pretty consistent from my experience.

I hope they can get this kind of stuff sorted out before launch, since I would like a stable framerate in the 360 version.

I haven't played 360 version, but fps appears seems quite stable, this is why I was surprise to read how 'sucks' in different thread (maybe only 360 version? I don't know). To the other side, playing at 1080p, I have noticed, when there are a lot of players in the screen, IQ become strangely muddy (like crysis2/1 on ps3), where the steps in the jaggies are wider. I'm not an expert but at least at 1080p, to me appears a sort of dynamic res on ps3. This effect is barely notable forced 720p in the xmb.

Have you tried to play it? IQ it's quite strange on ps3; I'm unable to explain, but sharpness/jaggies steps seems to change when the engine struggle. IT's more notable at 1080p, less using 720p.

I won't have access for another month or two, so dunno. It's hard to analyze all the shots plus I don't have time for it.

Just came across this:

gamefront.com said:
Unreal Engine 4 "Elemental" Demo on PS4

Description:
Get the first glimpse of what Unreal Engine 4 will look like on the PlayStation 4. In the new presentation, a scene featuring the fiery mallet-wielding Elemental knight picks up where the original demo ends.
Unreal Engine 4’s high-end rendering capabilities are evident, as dynamic lighting and shadowing bring intensity to contrasting volcanic and snowy vistas. Real-time reflections, subsurface scattering and GPU-powered particle effects fill the screen space with visual gems as a new ice behemoth cracks free from a frozen mountain and emerges with a radiant, frosty bellow.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22979154/Elemental_30_H264.mov
MediaInfo said:
Duration: 45s 33ms
File size: 124 MiB
Bit rate: 22.8 Mbps
Width: 1920 pixels
Height: 1080 pixels
Frame rate: 30.000 fps

;)

Anyone here who would be able to figure out the native rendering resolution and AA?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link, it looks 1080p pretty much to me, @30 fps. though it's really hard to focus on the edges given it's a media clip.

Anyone here who could confirm this? AlStrong? Or Quaz51 maybe?

IMHO, it doesn't look like 1920x1080 at all. Looking much lower IMHO.

Not sure, but somehow it's looking way too "soft" / way too "muddy" for 1920x1080...

So, anyone here able to count the pixels of the video :p:D;)?

By the way, also came across those:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-unreal-engine-4-elemental-knight-screenshot-gallery

2560x-1

vs.

;)

very interesting comparison, i still can't make heads or tails on the rez myself. but it does seem to have some compromises here and there. given these differences shown, the demo on the Ps4 was no doubt realtime. don't for get the Elements demo was developed on a Core I7, Nvidia 680 Gt and 10 gbs of memory. (as explained to gameinformer.)

But since the games are running native 1080p would mean that they don't need as much aa compared to 720p games. For example a game rendered at 1080p with 2xMSAA would be equivalent to 720p 8xMSAA in terms of how smooth the edges are right?

But since the games are running native 1080p would mean that they don't need as much aa compared to 720p games. For example a game rendered at 1080p with 2xMSAA would be equivalent to 720p 8xMSAA in terms of how smooth the edges are right?
Closer to 4xMSAA, considering that you have 2.25 the pixel amount on 1080p, also the sample locations are not as good as on standard 4xMSAA.

The big win is that you render into a native resolution of your display device, so there is no additional scaling on TV and thus image stays sharp.

Back