Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

That PS3 image is 100% false. I've go to that place on a private match in my PS3 and, while it's true that the bricks are no as defined as the supposedly XBox version, it definitively doesn't look like in that image. For example, the weapon, hands, palm tree and HUD is as defined as in the XBox version. The PS3 image has been definitely doctored. The PS3 doesn't allow me to make an in game screenshot with this game, but you can test by youselves if you have the game.

On my PC, I basically force FXAA on all games even with 16xMSAA. It cleans up a lot of jaggies that regular MSAA misses (transparencies, etc). It's such a low cost and IMHO is totally worth it.

Plus, it is a heck of a lot cheaper on deferred setups.

It all depends on how it's applied on a game by game basis. It works great in some games and not so much in others. Same can be said for any PPAA.

FXAA works badly in the long edges, whatever version you applied. I don't see any sort of those artifacts, but there is just a single capture so I could wrong.

That PS3 image is 100% false. I've go to that place on a private match in my PS3 and, while it's true that the bricks are no as defined as the supposedly XBox version, it definitively doesn't look like in that image. For example, the weapon, hands, palm tree and HUD is as defined as in the XBox version. The PS3 image has been definitely doctored. The PS3 doesn't allow me to make an in game screenshot with this game, but you can test by youselves if you have the game.

Honestly I don't think so. A lot of gamers have reported this murkier appearance in the ps3 version. Could be that capture is not so precise, but the expression 'doctored' is overdramatic.

Out of my curiosity, could be ps3 version use the same TXAA of the pc? When TXAA is actived, pc gamers claims a terrible murkier appearance in the pc version, something very similar of the ps3 version, but I don't know if ps3 hardware can handle this AA.

FXAA works badly in the long edges, whatever version you applied. I don't see any sort of those artifacts, but there is just a single capture so I could wrong.

Other PPAA such as MLAA have issues with long edges as well. IIRC even custom PPAA, such at the one used in Force Unleashed 2 had issues with long edges. Not sure why you're singling out FXAA here.

Other PPAA such as MLAA have issues with long edges as well. IIRC even custom PPAA, such at the one used in Force Unleashed 2 had issues with long edges. Not sure why you're singling out FXAA here.

MLAA not has absolutely issue in the long edges, indeed, it is the major achievement of this filter, PPAA is an another matter.

Yeah sorry, I was mistaken on something I read earlier today at lunch, you guys are right.

Also @assurdum, PPAA stands for post process AA, which would include MLAA =P

I dowloaded and analysed the HQ GTAV trailer and the post process AA is exactly the same than PS3 Max Payne 3, different to the MP3 X360 post process AA

It is obvious that its console version. Quaz, btw, can you check some early MP3 trailers? I'm interested to see what version they used at that time.

I dowloaded and analysed the HQ GTAV trailer and the post process AA is exactly the same than PS3 Max Payne 3, different to the MP3 X360 post process AA

Maybe ps3 version trailer? I hope so. What is it exactly the difference between the 2 filter?

Maybe ps3 version trailer? I hope so. What is it exactly the difference between the 2 filter?
Most probably.

FXAA on 360 version is more aggressive. Slightly less aliasing, more blur. I wonder what version they used while making MP3 trailers. They definitely used PS3 shots as screenshots.

the ps3 version is the lead platform this time around.
I don't think that is the reason why, they always developed their games in parallel, no porting. They probably didn't want to show of GTAIV and RDR on PS3 since that SKU was definitely graphically downgraded. Now, with them dropping hardware AA and implementing FXAA which gave them a way to bump up resolution, there is no reason to show that version since its almost the same (going by MP3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back