Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

rising_ss03ghoda.jpg

Seems they didn't release bullshots, sure looks 720p.

Yeah, perfect edges and clear texture detail everywhere, no blur or aliasing at all - these are just some good old bullshots.

Well all Vita games are expected to be below HD standards.
Sub qHD, or quarter 1080pHD, or < PSV's native resolution of 960x540. And I agree, they look a good 2/3 res horizontally (~640 pixels), and maybe same vertically, for about 640 x 360.

wow, I know those vita games looks alot better on its screen but that make is looks like Vita hardware is very weak, or all games are suffering from being as close to launch as possible. Its MSAA suppose to be almost free, looks like they can't even get AA on those games.

I saw this game in person at Gamescom and thought it looked great. You have to see it in movement I guess. It was butter smooth even then.

Shifty Geezer said:
Sub qHD, or quarter 1080pHD, or < PSV's native resolution of 960x540. And I agree, they look a good 2/3 res horizontally (~640 pixels), and maybe same vertically, for about 640 x 360.
Did you do a pixel count on Edges that are NOT outlines? Outline/Edge detection is clearly running at lower-resolution than the rest of the game, so I don't think it's representative of the actual rendering-res, though the rest of the game is not-native rendered either (there's a clear difference when I run actual native games).

Anyway - pixel counting aside, the game does look good in motion - Cartoon-outline aliasing is standard fare on most games that use it, but it doesn't detract from overall visual.

Did you do a pixel count on Edges that are NOT outlines?
It's all looking chunky excluding the '23y' UI pointer whcih shows it's not the screen capture upscaled.

Anyway - pixel counting aside, the game does look good in motion - Cartoon-outline aliasing is standard fare on most games that use it, but it doesn't detract from overall visual.
Ha! I'd say crawling outlines is the biggest detractor of cartoon renderers, and I'm disappointed we haven't managed to get clean line drawing on them yet. This screenshot does also disappoint regards the supposed cheap MSAA Vita is reportedly capable of. It'd be nice if these platforms with free/cheap AA actually had high IQ! :p

Because we have a long history of Unreal Engine games with great AA, right? ;)

But yeah, not many titles show MSAA yet, I agree. It clearly isn't free or isn't trivial to implement. Not that I personally think games actually need it at that DPI. If it costs more than 10% of framerate I'd say leaving it off is likely the better choice.

It's very early days though.

Because we have a long history of Unreal Engine games with great AA, right? ;)
Well considering how widely used UE is, getting AA in it seems pretty important. Playing Dungeon Defenders I was surprised to see full-on jaggies. Why aren't they able to drop in some post-AA at least?

Oh, just checked the title and this is the wrong thread for that. Actually, on that note, post-FX AA makes pixel counting much harder. I'm not even sure of the purpose of this thread any more. At the beginning of this gen it was useful identifying what resolutions devs were managing, and whether these boxes were managing AA or not. Now, with all the multiple different-resolution buffers and varied AA techniques, an analysis becomes both very hard and rather meaningless.

Shifty Geezer said:
It's all looking chunky excluding the '23y' UI pointer whcih shows it's not the screen capture upscaled.
Yup I noticed that UI is native rendered in this and I think Dungeon Hunter.
Anyway I asked because outlines clearly look chunkier, I picked on that before taking any screenshots :)

Arwin said:
But yeah, not many titles show MSAA yet, I agree.
I've tried mostly demos so far (Bought Uncharted pack, none of the other games is currently in English).
Eyeballing it : VT4, LittleDeviants and DW all look AAed (VT4 is probably 4x, it has the best IQ of all Vita games to date). Dungeon Hunter may be as well (but it also looks to be sub-native, unlike the other 3).
One or two other Jpn demos I can't name may also have AA, but I didn't really pay close attention to those.
Edit:
Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die is one of the demos I was thinking of - and it's AAed as well I believe.

Can post shots if you guys want to go analyzing more in depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back