What is the truth?

just me

Newcomer
There is a thread here about NV re-joining the FM BETA program & FM making NV40 demos.

I was just reading a thread @ FM & in it a poster states Patric (3DMO3's 'daddy') said it is bullsheit! :oops:

I see Patric has a Forum here & I know the relationship between B3D & FM .... so Dave &/or Rev: what is the truth? Have either of you spoken to Patric or any FM admin/staff to confirm or deny the 'rumour' Uttar posted? :?:

Thanks,

Link to the FM thread which links to the Uttar thread: http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum...495463&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1

IN the absence of confirming press releases by companies which are the subject of various rumors, it is always wise policy to preface remarks you may read with "It is rumored that...blah-blah-blah"...:)

A wise old sage (may have been my father) once said to me: "Son, don't believe everything you read." Good advice that has served me well over the years...;)

WaltC said:
IN the absence of confirming press releases by companies which are the subject of various rumors, it is always wise policy to preface remarks you may read with "It is rumored that...blah-blah-blah"...:)

A wise old sage (may have been my father) once said to me: "Son, don't believe everything you read." Good advice that has served me well over the years...;)

Points taken & well known, but ... Dave, Rev, Uttar & even Neeyik were in that thread & NONE of them treated the 'rumor' as such. I respect those ppl & the standards of this site. I don't think anyone questioned it, including you Walt. ;)

Now, in light of other statements being made @ FM, I do question the verascity of the statements here. Doing so beforehand might have been 'wise', but w/o statements to the contrary (altho' 3rd party now) that would have been uncalled for, IMO. Now it is called for, IMO. 8)

I trust what I read here more than any other comp site I visit. I respect the authenticity of the material presented. In this particular case I accepted it as the truth based on the replies & the ppl that did so.

I can email Patric, Worm, Langaleer, StealthWing, et al & ask them personally & I honesty thought Uttar had before posting & Dave & Rev confirmed it before replying. Now I'm asking if they did & what was said. ;)

I like the hard tech of this site. I can get 'rumors, baseless opinions & speculation' all over the web. This is my 'honest man' & it took me quite awhile to find it. I hope the recent 'rumors' can be held to a minimum here & at least posted as such in the appropriate forums.

Meanwhile > What is the truth? Is NV back in the BETA program, or not? Is FM going to make demos for NV, or not? Should I email the appropriate parties & bluntly ask them & post the replies, or can the original poster (or B3D) do it & let all of us know the truth?

Thanks,

Here is what Uttar said:

As always, I'll just quote GPU:RW

Quote:

Not a lot of new info nowadays, but don't worry, because here's some GPU:RW-only info!
First of all, nVidia is set to rejoin FutureMark's beta program. Amusing, isn't it?
And secondly, FutureMark agreed to do a demo ( I don't believe this is a benchmark demo, just something like Dawn ) for nVidia's NV40, to be launched at Comdex.

As you can see, Uttar made no pretense of doing anything other than quoting someone else. So, in the absence of confirming press releases from the companies involved, etc., all such information should be understood as being prefaced with, "It is rumored that..."

As such, Uttar's quote from another source should have been understood thusly:

Not a lot of new info nowadays, but don't worry, because here's some GPU:RW-only info!
First of all, it is rumored that nVidia is set to rejoin FutureMark's beta program. Amusing, isn't it?
And secondly it is rumored, FutureMark agreed to do a demo ( I don't believe this is a benchmark demo, just something like Dawn ) for nVidia's NV40, to be launched at Comdex.

This is the way all such remarks should be understood in the absence of corporate press releases from the companies involved which confirm them, IMO.

Now, had Uttar prefaced his remarks as certain direct knowledge he had obtained in and of himself, then I think you'd have a point. But he did quote his source and so I think that lets him off the hook.

OTOH, you are alleging something different which also comes from sources which are less than official coprorate press releases, although certainly if nVidia does not rejoin the program and FM does not do a nVidia demo there will be no press releases on it--simply nothing will happen...;)

As for me, my position on both viewpoints is that I will wait and see. True, I did not comment on the remarks of others as you've said, but that was because I had no knowledge supporting an opinion either way, because I automatically consider all such "information" speculatively until it is proven one way or the other (to my satisfaction.) From time to time I will engage in a positioned dialogue which I consider to rest on speculation, that's true enough. But when I do I usually try to preface my remarks with "If it's true that x-rumor has legs, then..."

Really, though, my main point is that on the Internet many of us hear things which we consider to be reliable which aren't...;) I've been bitten more than once, myself. So that's why I dispense the advice I do in this case... :D

I never asked anyone at either NVIDIA or FM re the rumor about NVIDIA re-joining the beta program or FM making demos for NVIDIA. I provided comments in that thread here solely based on the rumor (i.e. its possibilities) and thinking out aloud. Neither rumors, if true and based solely on the "information" provided, appear to affect me working at this site at all.

WaltC said:
Here is what Uttar said:

As always, I'll just quote GPU:RW

Quote:

First of all, nVidia is set to rejoin FutureMark's beta program. Amusing, isn't it?
And secondly, FutureMark agreed to do a demo ( I don't believe this is a benchmark demo, just something like Dawn ) for nVidia's NV40, to be launched at Comdex.

As you can see, Uttar made no pretense of doing anything other than quoting someone else.

He didn't quote someone else - GPU:RW is Uttar's site. The actual source of the info was... well, you'll have to ask him when he gets back from 'oliday, innit? ;)

Very reliable info, IMHO.

MuFu.

Can't really comment other than to say that FM has always wanted all IHV's as beta partners and discussions are under way, but nothing is signed sealed and delivered.

MuFu said:
He didn't quote someone else - GPU:RW is Uttar's site. The actual source of the info was... well, you'll have to ask him when he gets back from 'oliday, innit? ;)

Very reliable info, IMHO.

MuFu.

Heh--Heh...;) 'scuse me while I wipe off a little egg...;) Why on earth would anyone quote himself? In too big of a hurry to do other than cut & paste? *chuckle* Ah, well.....

DaveBaumann said:
Can't really comment other than to say that FM has always wanted all IHV's as beta partners and discussions are under way, but nothing is signed sealed and delivered.

As far as FM goes I've nver doubted that...but wasn't the original set of issues the result of nVidia not wanting to stay with FM as opposed to FM doing anything overt to disenfranchise anyone...?

As long as both sides adhere to their current positions, which I'd characterize this way...

nVidia: We want you to write your benchmark to support our hardware with non-API-compliant vendor paths, or else we feel justified in manipulating your benchmark to whatever degree we see fit

FM: We want to write our benchmark to support the standard API paths so that all our IHV's compete within it from an equal position

...I can't see how the discussions might progress beyond the discussion stage--unless one side or the other moves off of these positions.

Latest statement from Patric in the FM-thread:
Not exactly bullsh-t, but not entirely true either.
We are working on getting Nvidia back in our beta program, but we have not reached a mutual approval yet. Still, things look good, and I have high hopes.
As for the demo, we are not currently working on a NV40 launch demo.

I hope he understands that the content and details of a possible "mutual approval" between FM and NV would have to be completly revealed to the public in order for both company to regain general trust.

Also, IMO his wording regarding the NV40 demo rumor should have been a bit clearer.
-Has Nv asked FM to do a demo?
-Was there talk of one?
-Does FM think that it would benefit their public trust to do so?
I can't see any of this question answered by the fact that they are "not currently working" on one.

But that's just me.

Cheers,
Mac

Back