Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Yes they did.

At what point did they do that? I remember them not releasing 360 shots until the last minute, all shots released before then left the question of whether they were for the 360 or the PS3, and when they did their screenshots were sub hd just like the final 360 version of the game.

FF13-2 looks a little too similar between to platform, even down to the color and contrast, Think they might be using PS3 shots replace with 360 buttons. Didnt they do that with FF13 before the game was close to launch?
They may have taken a more multiplatform approach with this follow up title to ensure parity. FF13 may have been multiplatform but it wasn't developed like a multiplatform game. Finding out the resolution of both the PS3 and 360 versions would be helpful in figuring out if they just did what they did last time.

http://ll.lo.video.gamespot.com/d4/gsc/2011/06/169_FFXIII2_us_ot_multi_060211_2800.mp4

when I say too similar it means it looks like they were taken from the exact same source. I think we only found out about the 360 res of FF13 very close to launch when someone posted the direct feed. Didnt SE even use the PS3 footage for their 360 ads in the US while MS got the exclusive advertisement right at the time. Even the closest multi platform games has some minor color or contrast differences. Need someone that actually played it at E3 to confirmed the res for this.

when I say too similar it means it looks like they were taken from the exact same source. I think we only found out about the 360 res of FF13 very close to launch when someone posted the direct feed. Didnt SE even use the PS3 footage for their 360 ads in the US while MS got the exclusive advertisement right at the time. Even the closest multi platform games has some minor color or contrast differences.
The original FFXIII ended up being pretty close colour wise between the two consoles. Going by the DF comparison it's only the resolution that sets them apart.

Yeah but you miss one important thing: The framerate on xbox sucks a lot in Gran Pulse.
I wasn't really commenting on game performance. What I'm saying is that colour differences are so minuscule that a 360 frame at 720p would look almost identical to a PS3 one. For now I'm going to assume that SquareEnix did show actual 360 footage but I wouldn't be surprised if it was all PS3 with prompts changed to Xbox buttons.

Resistance 3 looks Sub-HD to me:

20110614163535ctbs.png

more here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28599611&postcount=20

edit: then again maybe not some edges look 1:1?

^probably right, its hard to find 30+ vertical steps, i feel dumb for actually physically counting now when its quite obvious from their history to expect this resolution.

Has this been reported it:
J.Carmack said:
So what we do on the consoles, where we have this tight control, is we say, OK, you're going 60FPS, it's v-syncing, there are no tear lines. But if you miss by a tiny little bit, we'll let it tear at the top of the screen and we adjust the resolutions dynamically to let it catch back up.
That's clever :)

EDIT
source (J.Carmack aside) is Eurogamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
He also says if you miss 60 then you drop to 30. So he's only talking about double buffering?
Then he wouldn't need tearing. I guess he means one dropped frame means a single frame (16.7 ms) glitch. The following refreshes will run at 60fps as the tearing point is fixed. It is a good idea, shifting the interruption to the experience from very obvious stutters in the frame to probably imperceptible twinges in clarity. A couple of frames of slight softness won't be at all apparent. Will play havoc with IQ/framerate analysis though!

Then he wouldn't need tearing. I guess he means one dropped frame means a single frame (16.7 ms) glitch. The following refreshes will run at 60fps as the tearing point is fixed. It is a good idea, shifting the interruption to the experience from very obvious stutters in the frame to probably imperceptible twinges in clarity. A couple of frames of slight softness won't be at all apparent. Will play havoc with IQ/framerate analysis though!

Maybe you could get around the resolution reduction (and softness) by instead rendering a frame with a little of the top or bottom missing (a few lines simply not rendered), where you then replace the missing bit with a bit of the previous frame. It'd be visually indistinguishable from a torn frame (and no more noticeable if kept in the overscan area) but allow you to regain some time without dropping a frame or the resolution.

Even a little blurring or detail reduction can be noticeable when it cuts in our out, especially if you're focusing on a tiny bit of the screen (say down gun sights). If you could avoid a resolution drop it'd be a win IMO.

Back