Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Perhaps the lighting has something to do with it

To elaborate, I was thinking perhaps the LPV rendering stage might have been done at 512x720 with the 2xMSAA remapping trick. But that's just me trying to rationalize how I got 1152 for a scene that was lit only by the world/sunlight whereas the "1024x720" scene was mainly lit via secondary light source. Certainly haven't noticed the edge... dotting artefact typical of the remapping trick.

To elaborate, I was thinking perhaps the LPV rendering stage might have been done at 512x720 with the 2xMSAA remapping trick. But that's just me trying to rationalize how I got 1152 for a scene that was lit only by the world/sunlight whereas the "1024x720" scene was mainly lit via light source.
Yea I thought of that,remember you said something along those lines in one thread:smile:
Al,do you think,based on what we seen,if Crytek dropped the ball with Crysis 2 after what they "promised"?What I ask is...do you think this slightly lower resolution "fiasco" could scare away developers who intended to license it?Or their real time everything with all major graphical features will be seen as good thing despite lower resolution?

That's a pretty loaded question since there are tons of factors at play. :p

At some point folks have to realize the hardware is ancient, so there's going to have to be a trade-off with the limited cycles. There are a number of factors too: scene complexity, available memory, the complexity of the shaders, post-processing... etc. It'll just have to come down to what makes sense for the game-to-be, whether SSGI is really appropriate or if they can just get away with baking etc etc.

There are other aspects to the engine too, like the simultaneous multiplatform previewing & development. That they don't need to spend time baking the lighting information is a pretty big win. So there's the dev time & cost to consider there, but hey... hypothetically, they'd probably want to re-use the engine for more than one game..

But going back to whether resolution matters... well, what they have shown is that the renderer is just shy of 720p, and it's not like the game is a loser in the graphics department elsewhere. We have also seen many games that go lower and are still huge successes, so I don't think that's as big a factor as forumites would have you believe. :p

But that's OT.

Why isn't the Dragon Age 2 demo getting any love from DF? It's a really interesting AA solution that doesn't shimmer as much as MLAA but it seems to offer superior edge smoothing to QAA. The rest of the graphics aren't really impressive and the game is pretty much ME2 skinned for medieval fantasy (even the menus are pretty much the same), but that AA is interesting on the PS3 demo.

Why isn't the Dragon Age 2 demo getting any love from DF? It's a really interesting AA solution that doesn't shimmer as much as MLAA but it seems to offer superior edge smoothing to QAA. The rest of the graphics aren't really impressive and the game is pretty much ME2 skinned for medieval fantasy (even the menus are pretty much the same), but that AA is interesting on the PS3 demo.

The shimmer is there but Bioware has been pretty able to mask the effect, setting faster camera moving, mlaa had major issue with slow camera motions than thin edge, guerrilla in kz3 unfortunately hasn't been so 'smart'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shimmer is there but Bioware has been pretty able to mask the effect, setting faster camera moving, mlaa had major issue with slow camera motions than thin edge, guerrilla in kz3 unfortunately hasn't been so 'smart'.

Just to clarify, do you see shimmering for near vertical or near horizontal (longish) edges in cutscenes or gameplay?

I just want to make sure what you are seeing is not shader aliasing.

Just to clarify, do you see shimmering for near vertical or near horizontal (longish) edges in cutscenes or gameplay?

I just want to make sure what you are seeing is not shader aliasing.

Only in the gameplay but are masked very well because camera motions are very 'frenetic'. I have learned to distinguish to msaa, it is very easy, msaa not causing that 'blobbed' effect in the long linear edges...

DA2's AA breaks on small, bright features of the customes in the PS3 demo. You don't see it in the first half of the game, but when they get into the town it's very apparent, similar to zero AA. There's no subsample accuracy (hence not BBQAA).

DA2's AA breaks on small, bright features of the customes in the PS3 demo. You don't see it in the first half of the game, but when they get into the town it's very apparent, similar to zero AA. There's no subsample accuracy (hence not BBQAA).

But you talking of thin edges, right? Because I haven't notice aliasing in the town.

But you talking of thin edges, right? Because I haven't notice aliasing in the town.
It was on the costumes before the fight, when they were confronting that bloke and yabbering on about the gypsy girl losing her ship and stuff. The AA broke completely around that detailing when the three "good guys" were shown in the same shot. The AA around the normal edges is superb though. Very little visible aliasing or edge crawling, and no edge shimmer as you see in LBP2. It's a damned good AA technique in those cases. Finding an interrim between the two will be extremely effective (this is BBQAA - Bisinusoidal Bohr-Schweissen Qualitative AA).

Well, we're also dealing with frameblending and possibly their secondary post-process edge AA. Combine that with the resolution deficit, the low-level lighting, the abundant motion-blur... About the only thing that wouldn't be a factor is the geometry pop or the magically appearing waterfalls.

The 360 version seems to exhibit some pretty crazy and glaring pop-in as well. Such as all the ropes on a giant bridge popping into view.

Although the case with the PS3's waterfalls popping into view seems more to be a issue with map data not streaming in fast enough from the Blu-ray or HDD, rather than with LOD bias. This is because the they seem to pop in after a delay (i.e., loading), rather than the player walking closer towards them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was on the costumes before the fight, when they were confronting that bloke and yabbering on about the gypsy girl losing her ship and stuff. The AA broke completely around that detailing when the three "good guys" were shown in the same shot. The AA around the normal edges is superb though. Very little visible aliasing or edge crawling, and no edge shimmer as you see in LBP2. It's a damned good AA technique in those cases. Finding an interrim between the two will be extremely effective (this is BBQAA - Bisinusoidal Bohr-Schweissen Qualitative AA).
Are there any ps3 game which use BBQAA? How much cost in theory? Anyway news capture of crysis 2 on the ps3: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/291033/news/crysis-2-ps3-gameplay-97-fresh-screens/

No, none yet.
None ever, but I'm wondering how long I can drag this out, and whether the intarwebs will pick up on B3D talk of a new AA system!

Back