Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Played Vanquish on PS3, game runs great and resolution is probably the same as in 360 version, but I think there is no aa.

Edit: So I compared both versions: shadows looks the same, low res alpha buffers looks the same (to me) and... aliasing looks the same too.

Last edited by a moderator:
heard there are some video compression artifacts on 360 demo, I didn't notice any on PS3 demo, since the size size is much bigger I think all the video will probably be encoded at a higher bit rate on PS3.

PCF on PS3?

It's PCF on both, but it just looks a tad different.

I thought the PS3 version looked a tad blurrier, but it might be the scaling quality.

There's also some strange bug as you approach the first staircase. On PS3, a shadow turns on/off on the ground. On 360, it just looks like a slight abrupt change in lighting as you walk forward there.

The lighting appeared to be a tad more washed out on PS3 (white crush), at least the specular reflection from the ground. I tried adjusting the in-game brightness, but it's definitely not that... I'll have to wait for some proper HDMI grabs to make sure it's not my display. Maybe tomorrow when there's time.

On 360 it seems to be that "soft" vsync. Haven't personally noticed the tearing given how busy the action was on either platform.

Both versions appear to run the same on my display with identical hookups.

Tearing is a non-issue on either version. Platinum has clearly achieved parity between the two versions.

Hm. Why do you think is that? Do you really think it makes better scaling?

Yes, I really think it looks better when there's only horizontal scaling. Must have something to do with how the human eye works or so.

It's hard to tell the difference between both version. But I believe the PS3 version resolution seem slighly higher on first glance.

nah same resolution 1024x720 and inconsistent anti-aliasing. the parity is great, although framerate could be another issue.

samesame.jpg

Yes, I really think it looks better when there's only horizontal scaling. Must have something to do with how the human eye works or so.

its not really because of how our eyes work but scaling artifacts.

Last edited by a moderator:
the first page of this thread :LOL:

I don't understand much. All I see is a picture of Horizontal resolution/(Pixel horizontal selection X step). Based on the picture it give the vertical resolution

It also seem that there are only certain angle I can only use. All I can say it's not very clear.

Back