Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

1040x585 2xAA (also checked to see if it was 584 or 592 with 90 steps)... so a 13/16 ratio both dimensions.

edit: screenshots going up in a bit.

Just played the SCC demo, looks like 720p with 4xAA.
there is some tearing though which i hope is lessened in the final build.

edit: nvm didnt notice alstrongs post.. why is it so low? it using an old engine...

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: nvm didnt notice alstrongs post.. why is it so low? it using an old engine...

Perhaps accommodations for deferred lighting (? but most likely) as well as their lighting engine. It's difficult to say as the last time they really mentioned features was a few years ago AFAIR. They did mention a sort of real-time GI with light bouncing, but that's a topic for the Game Tech Thread.

A bit of clean-up. This isn't a thread to voice opinions on engine technology, nor is it to pretend tech discussion with unfounded evidence.

The strange thing is that it's jaggy but still looked pretty sharp...

FWIW, they do a fair bit of post-processing. Depth of field in particular hides the jaggies a fair bit. Also bear in mind that a lot of the level's areas are low-light condition and specular isn't overblown.

Yeah, DOF is rather active. There is SSAO btw.

Below are just single 13-step/16-pixel counts for both dimensions since the rest would just be redundant: (I think you need to be logged in)

I'm really surprised...ubi never did a subhd game in this generation from what I remember. It's really strange .

Yeah, DOF is rather active. There is SSAO btw.

Below are just single 13-step/16-pixel counts for both dimensions since the rest would just be redundant: (I think you need to be logged in)

How about indirect lighting? They demoed it in the game a few years ago, but i'm not sure if there's any surface indirectly illuminating another, all the lighting in the game seems a direct effect of the light sources.(Except maybe in the bathroom scene).

avg:29.349 tear:10.809 min-max:23.0-30.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RLt4S1hvWY

Highly unlikeable but, Is there any difference between Us and JP demos? The tearing in your video seems pretty jarring, but when i was playing, except in cutscenes, there were almost none to be spotted XD

Edit: Nevermind, they talk about it here:

Some graphic/game tech bits explained in interview apart from PC specific talk.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...onsole-port-with-extra-quality-features/News/
It seems they use Spherical Harmonics for indirect lighting.

And curiously, they claim their AO approach looks and performs better than SSAO, and even tough its all pre baked its still dynamic and accumulated into the screen space.

And in this paper posteed above: http://www.selfshadow.com/talks/rwc_gdc2010_v1.pdf They said they don't support tiled rendering on 360, so i guess the final game will be bellow 720p too.

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus_rocks said:
SSAO is not in the demo. AO is baked in but still dynamic (what's going on?)
It's only baked for things that aren't dynamic (for which AO never moves anyway). The rest get dynamic AO in the ways described in GDC talk - it may not be uniformly 'elegant' as a screenspace solution, but it sure looks better then one from what I've seen.

I'm surprised at how clean this game looks despite the relatively low native res. Could really use more AA though.

They definitely reflect what I saw while playing the game. In the first scene which is a small enclosed space the lower resolution wasn't really such a huge issue but once you got outdoors, sheesh it was basically unbearable. Everything was a pixelated and aliased mess and watching everything shimmer and fine distant detail take for ever to resolve looked hideous. "Clean" is certainly not what I would call it.

I'll judge how good of a tradeoff it is based on the breakdown of the environments in the final game. If its mostly smaller interiors without lots of billboards, its probably a smart choice, if there's a lot of scenes similar to that outdoor stage then I'd take 720p 0xaa (assuming tiling is out of the question as it appears) at the drop of a hat.

Back