Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

They're not from the PS3 build, and look at the date. The PS3 game hasn't been shown in public... yet.

IIRC, it's 720p with no AA on the 360.

hopefully PS3 version will atleast lock at 2X MSAA, not QAA and no more 5 gigs install capcom. Btw, anyone check dirt? Seems like it could be QAA.....

This was probably touched on before, but I couldn't find it- why is QAA more reasonable on the PS3? Is it cheaper? I suppose if it cuts back on memory\bandwidth it's an obvious choice. I've heard people state that it -isn't- though.

ergo my confusion.

If so, why doesn't the 360 also use it? (I know the Edram benefits.. but if the goal is to simply conserve memory\bandwidth.. Wouldn't it work on both all the same?)

If so, why doesn't the 360 also use it? (I know the Edram benefits.. but if the goal is to simply conserve memory\bandwidth.. Wouldn't it work on both all the same?)

QAA is an Nvidia form of AA. ATI hardware doesn't support it.

ATI does have the wide and narrow tent filters, but those were introduced after Xenos. And don't exactly serve the same purpose as QAA.

Regards,
SB

This was probably touched on before, but I couldn't find it- why is QAA more reasonable on the PS3? Is it cheaper? I suppose if it cuts back on memory\bandwidth it's an obvious choice. I've heard people state that it -isn't- though.

ergo my confusion.

QAA and 2xMSAA have the same cost, there is no resource benefit.

However between those two there is a slight trade of between edge quality and texture quality, that's about it.

Then why do more PS3 games use QAA than MSAA? I never see a single 360 game employ QAA, and I rarely see a PS3 game perform MSAA.

It's literally almost a platform exclusive thing for the PS3 to perform Quincux.

Edit: Nevermind my question was answered by the post before yours about this. Thanks!

Section 8 Demo on XBL appears to be 720p 2xMSAA (and a decent amount of texture filtering to boot too!)

Yeah. I'm also guessing they'd leave the AA in there if they have such a strong DOF effect, as that increases the sense of sharpness versus the blurred surroundings. I think anyway.

QAA is an Nvidia form of AA. ATI hardware doesn't support it.

ATI does have the wide and narrow tent filters, but those were introduced after Xenos. And don't exactly serve the same purpose as QAA.

Regards,
SB
What do you mean by "don't exactly serve the same purpose"? The purpose of both QAA and ATIs tent filters is to improve edge AA, at the cost of texture sharpness. QAA is a tent filter, just like ATIs filters. Both blur the textures with roughly the same amount (actually, ATIs 2xMSAA tent filters might blur a tiny bit more). AFAIK, only difference is the number of samples, QAA uses 5 samples, while narrow tent uses 4 samples and wide tent 6 samples (for 2xMSAA).

Anyone do any comparison for Dirt 2 yet? Demos are now up on xbl and psn. I know the PC version is delayed for dx11, but i wonder how the console versions look.

Ok, just played both demos. Not sure on resolutions, since i cant to any capture, but im pretty sure 360 has 2xMSAA and ps3 has no AA. I'm not completely sure, and this may just be the amount of AA, but It seems that the 360 has a bit higher resolution.

Also, and im not sure on this one, but it seems to me that ps3 is using full HDR while 360 is using MDR.

hm... Im pretty sure that PS3 version has anti aliasing, didnt download the 360 demo, but I would guess that its 4X MSAA on 360 like grid compare to PS3 which is either 2XMSAA or QAA. And the game doesnt look sub HD for me on PS3, version clean and sharp. As for HDR, its probably nao32 on PS3 and FP10 for 360.

Eurogamer has a comparision/perfomance article up for DIRT2 demo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dirt2-demo-showdown-blog-entry

hm... Im pretty sure that PS3 version has anti aliasing, didnt download the 360 demo, but I would guess that its 4X MSAA on 360 like grid compare to PS3 which is either 2XMSAA or QAA. And the game doesnt look sub HD for me on PS3, version clean and sharp. As for HDR, its probably nao32 on PS3 and FP10 for 360.

"...you're looking at native 720p for both versions, with the Xbox 360 using top-end 4x multisampling anti-aliasing to give a very clean presentation, while the PS3 drops down to 2x - an effect not quite so pronounced in this new game as it was in GRID... "

Btw it looks amazing, closest I have seen to the Motorstorm CGI video!

I think though that if you actually play both games on the PS3, Motorstorm 2 looks much more like the Motorstorm CGI video. ;) But let's not go there.

Opinions opinions but the lighting, DOF, colorgrading etc and how it lits up the surroundings + detail makes it look far closer than either MS game which doesn't have the same lighting intensity and 'scope' (ingame vs ingame direct feed). But yeah this is for some other tech thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd need some shots to confirm anything on PS3, but the 360 demo was a pretty clean 720p, 4xAA.

Btw it looks amazing, closest I have seen to the Motorstorm CGI video!

I think though that if you actually play both games on the PS3, Motorstorm 2 looks much more like the Motorstorm CGI video. ;) But let's not go there.

Back