Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

4. Just like Gears 2, they don't have SSAO on moving characters. When characters die and lay on the ground, they get SSAO, but if you look at Batman's feet, he doesn't get any.

Geras 2 does have SSAO for characters on the environment, but it's not very noticeable most of the time. Self-SSAO would be pretty hard to see given the colour palette though.

Personally, I'm not especially impressed by the lighting technology of Rage. Pre-baked lightmaps with drop shadows done per-character (and the character shadows don't even realistically intersect with the precomputed environment shadows). No SSAO or motion-blur (per-object or camera-based).

But if the game does manage to achieve the purported 60 fps on the current-generation consoles, then it would still be a commendable technical achievement.

The megatexture technique seems to allow for some beautiful outdoor vistas from a distance view, however.

Please remember this is the IQ thread, not the RAGE discussion thread. Thanks.

And looking at those screens, we can't tell squat about IQ as they're promo shots. :(

They're the same ones from the Game Informer magazine, probably the source material (not scans). ;)

Btw, this isn't the thread for such... discussion. Just a friendly reminder about post 1 (rules) and that this is indeed the Tech Forum. ;)

At first I thought it was some sort of post-processing issue for background objects as the characters *appear* fine for 720p; the emissive lighting on those structures in the fourth shot gave away the vertical resolution. I suppose the high poly-count and muted colour palette surrounding them helped mask what I was eventually able to determine. It was actually a particular edge on one of the characters giving away 1024 horizontal res.

So that's theoretically a 36% drop in pixel shading and fillrate load.

So it's pretty much confirmed then that 1024x576 is the final res? Can't say I blame them though considering how the first one ran.

Just for those screenshots, but it makes you wonder why they'd release it as such if it weren't final. They're definitely not bullshotting anyone. ;)

Are you sure about that res? Did they upscale the shots they provided to Gamersyde then?

And if that's 1024x576, that's the best 1024x576 I've ever seen. Actually looks better than many 1080p shots I've seen. Well, until I got to the 3rd shot with the high contrast aliasing (/sigh).

Regards,
SB

Apparently downscaled from 1600x900. Yeah. haha would explain the high quality crispness of the characters.

edit: Even had the blown up pixels and steps labeled correctly 20 steps, 16 pixels. Brain not functioning. :|

Back