Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Can someone tell me if Modern Warfare 2 runs at 600p or not?

This is the best screenshot I could find.

95194320090619screen004.jpg

Still the same. (Though I'm not surprised, given that 60fps is very important to them).

Rage probably won't have AA, whereas COD has 2xAA on top of the 60fps. It's a trade-off and different devs make different decisions.

Rage probably won't have AA, whereas COD has 2xAA on top of the 60fps. It's a trade-off and different devs make different decisions.

I have some doubts honestly; I don't thinks 2xAA is so expensive for the fps. Carmack said pc will have better AA and resolution translation: minor AA on the console (2xAA & QAA I'll bet). Surely id has different experiences of infinity ward in the graphics engine development.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you're suggesting is incompatible with the IW philosophy which has a very strong basis on ultra-low latency controls. Load up the CoD4 training mission/shooting range (where it is locked at 60fps) and feel the precision in the controls.

Did you ever do a FPS comparison between the PS3 and 360 for MW? I don't know why, but on the PS3 the game just didn't feel quite so sharp to me. I don't know if that was down to the framerate, or just the fact that the 6axis just doesn't seem to help with that kind of game (for me).

Did you ever do a FPS comparison between the PS3 and 360 for MW? I don't know why, but on the PS3 the game just didn't feel quite so sharp to me. I don't know if that was down to the framerate, or just the fact that the 6axis just doesn't seem to help with that kind of game (for me).

360 had better fps overall but to be honest I don't thinks affect the controls in the ps3.

Infinity ward said MW 2 push to limits 360 but to be honest if 600p is push to limits a console...well... :???: Rage forever my dear.....however cod4 has a lot of framerate drops, rarely 60 fps is steady.

PR discours… MW 2 don't push 360, or if it push more PS3 to is limit…
Sorry, but push a console to is limits don't be measuring only by a 720p 4AA… There a lot of others areas who impact performance stable fps, 60 vs 30 fps, textures qualities, colors, lighting, polygones, physic, IA, etc…
MW2 have, like Grandmaster said, a priority for respond controls, thing that is the more important for FPS game, so 60 FPS target is need for them.
All games have priorities some is "Whaou" graphics impression, other is "Whaou" gameplay feeling… I preferred the second.;)

There is a clear performance gap on CoD4, as seen here but this sort of discussion is best left to the frame rate analysis thread really.

However, it is tangentially relevant in that the framebuffer is the way it is in order to get maximum frames and thus maximum response from the controls, and yes, I noticed it too.

Carmack said pc will have better AA and resolution translation: minor AA on the console (2xAA & QAA I'll bet).
Now that would be interesting to see. id leveraging the PS3's greater storage to use more detailed textures, and still getting similar (or better?) texture detail after QCAA blurring. It would be a first, and could get more devs interested in megatextures.

Rage probably won't have AA, whereas COD has 2xAA on top of the 60fps.

Can you elaborate on why you believe so? Are you taking into account what Teh Carmack said wrt opting for lower native resolution + upscale? If true and Rage is also sub-HD (let's say, for argument's sake that it's as low as CoD4), does that change your view?

Carmack said pc will have better AA and resolution translation: minor AA on the console (2xAA & QAA I'll bet).

According to him the PS3 has a little "extra" memory because of the split so we could be seeing two different AA levels on the consoles. Can you dig up that comment about better AA please?

Can you elaborate on why you believe so? Are you taking into account what Teh Carmack said wrt opting for lower native resolution + upscale?

My reasons are:
- it's supposed to be 720p and 60fps, so there's just not enough performance to combine it with AA in my opinion
- also, 360 can't do 720p and AA at the same time without tiling
- on top of it there's a pre pass for the megatexture stuff
- also, they have to filter textures manually, and even though I'm no programmer I'd image it can confuse performance related issues considerably
- and there's a lot of post effects using even more fillrate and framebuffer memory

However I fully expect Doom4 to use at least 2xAA at 30fps.

If true and Rage is also sub-HD (let's say, for argument's sake that it's as low as CoD4), does that change your view?

It would, obviously.

I'd also like to add that I've seen the embargoed screenshots... although they're obviously bullshots so not conclusive or anything. But they're amazing IMHO and some weren't in the printed magazine. AFAIK it's just a few more days until they're public.

According to him the PS3 has a little "extra" memory because of the split so we could be seeing two different AA levels on the consoles. Can you dig up that comment about better AA please?

I have just reporting Carmack quote about pc better AA & resolution , so I guess AA however will be on the console although worsen. Why I have to dig up ? :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just reporting Carmack quote about pc better AA & resolution , so I guess AA however will be on the console although worsen. Why I have to dig up ? :???:

Because there's a difference between "better" and "more" AA depending on the context. I'd like to see that context.

The 360 footage I've seen was 720p.

These PS3 ones...I'll have to check later. 720 vertical. Horizontal res may or may not be 1280 - the blur filter is pretty heavy here.

Back