Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Just a note. Lens of Truth captured their footage with Component on both consoles. How reliable is the Ruliweb footage?

When was the Ruliweb footage taken. Apparently the engine might have been improved for retail release. Meh, clutching at straws.
Probably but how many times the final code has better resolution of the preview code?

Beijing Olympics saw a resolution increase between the release of the demo and the full game but that's it.

There is nothing wrong with MazingerDUDE's analysis of Ghostbusters. I mean, the difference is night and day and I have retail code for both. It's the worst cross-platform development I think I've seen in ages... like time-warping back to 2006.

There's one very interesting property about the PS3 version, that all the debris on the ground are indivisually shadow mapped on the PS3 which provides more depth to the ground texture. What's more interesting is that such is not found even on the PC version set to the highest (which is not much anyway).

From other shots I've seen, it looks like it could simply be a bias issue. Should be fixable/tweakable.

I don't know...

in the Gametrailers video, the PS3 version looks much better, or rather much closer to the Xbox version. It also has more debris, a more stable framerate in certain situations (i.e. the water flowing down the stairs)... But, as always with GT, the compression is hard on the eyes, so the blurring can be deceiving.

Yes but Motorstorm:pR's photomode is what confuses me... If I'm not mistaken MS:pR's photomode doesn't apply AA or any other effect , right ?.. What about Forza's ?..

forza 3 photomode seems to add 16xAA, and other effects such as using the high LOD models etc (correct me if im wrong someone), forza 2 added 4xAA if i remember right

I don't know...

in the Gametrailers video, the PS3 version looks much better, or rather much closer to the Xbox version. It also has more debris, a more stable framerate in certain situations (i.e. the water flowing down the stairs)... But, as always with GT, the compression is hard on the eyes, so the blurring can be deceiving.

You are right. On GT ps3 version don't seems so terrible :???: I mean surely 360 is true hd but ps3 don't seems so low...remember me 1024×720p of CoR dark athena...

Last edited by a moderator:
ghostbuster360.jpg

ghostbps3.jpg

So basically the two versions are the same, right? Advantage for the devs that they don't have to worry too much about different art, and can avoid tiling on the 360 as well.

Which makes me so surprised that Sony were willing to pay for a European timed exclusive.

I think it's more accurate they paid to get to release this game at the same time the Blu-Ray launched. I suspect Atari, or whatever's left of them in EU would have delayed anyway.

So basically the two versions are the same, right? Advantage for the devs that they don't have to worry too much about different art, and can avoid tiling on the 360 as well.

Well, 360 is surely 'pure' hd, the better resolution is evident. However ps3 has some more effects watching GT video, but the resolution remains worse only seems a little bit better.

Those are undoubtedly the same version, with GT doing their usual colour saturation tweaks, and calling it different.

Either that, or Lens of Truth and MazingerDUDE both completely fabricated their counts.

Considering GT has been caught on this REPEATEDLY, and the community here is quite trustworthy, I'm going to go with the former.

No. I'm not talking of the pictures but not appears so in the full video of GT.

Well ok let me rephrase then - I can't see much of a difference in resolution judging from the GT video. ;) I haven't seen any other shots of the 360 version yet.

EDIT: hadn't, thanks grandmaster. The V on the Venkman label on the sweater shows a clear difference in horizontal texture resolution. I'm not sure if the resolution difference is as big in the overall image though. The QAA on the PS3 version is very clearly not doing the image many favors, and contrasted with the (much) better texture resolution and filtering already and less agressive AA (2x?) on the 360, I'm getting the impression from the Pic 1 for each console you've posted that the native resolution is identical for both platforms. Am I really that blind?

Well ok let me rephrase then - I can't see much of a difference in resolution judging from the GT video. ;) I haven't seen any other shots of the 360 version yet.

EDIT: hadn't, thanks grandmaster. The V on the Venkman label on the sweater shows a clear difference in horizontal texture resolution. I'm not sure if the resolution difference is as big in the overall image though. The QAA on the PS3 version is very clearly not doing the image many favors, and contrasted with the (much) better texture resolution and filtering already and less agressive AA (2x?) on the 360, I'm getting the impression from the Pic 1 for each console you've posted that the native resolution is identical for both platforms. Am I really that blind?

Quaz....can you please confirm the game's resolution? :)

Back