Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

can someone post some screen capture for PS3 or something, I probably wont download it since its so big and already got it on 360. I thought the 360 version has quite a bit of specular aliasing make it looks a little rough even when it is suppose to have 4X MSAA. Which does help on specular aliasing. If PS3 version is sub HD with no AA then its even worse. I doubt that most of this smaller company can get HDR and AA on the RSX, which include this game. If they can atleast get it to run at 720p roughly the same frame rate as 360 and same asset Im considering it a decent port. The 360 demo didnt exactly have the best frame rate either, I will I will go with the PC version with this one.

In my eyes the games is not sub-hd, and even has QAA, there is always specular aliasing, Im gonna go ahead and said that this is actually a pretty good port.

Well, let's wait and see with the output grabs... We can all go on about what we think looks blurry and muddy and what that means, but it is all saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I think I understood it the first time that we shouldn't be expecting a miracle, so need I go on? ;)

Definitely looks blurred/soft due to upscaling. And the lighting is washed out compared to on the 360. Even on 720p.

I'm thinking they couldn't use HDR and AA and had to cut corners. Also seemed to stutter a bit framerate-wise more.
? Light wash? What means? Honestly for the rest I haven't notice differences , worsen resolution apart... the AA is there too, maybe some more slowdown on fps too

I thought the 360 version has quite a bit of specular aliasing make it looks a little rough even when it is suppose to have 4X MSAA. Which does help on specular aliasing.

Could you elaborate? This goes against my (very basic) understanding of how MSAA operates. :???:

Regarding the PSN demo for Riddick: Dark Athena:

The game appears to use a dynamic resolution system, similar to what the original Riddick on Xbox 1 used. At times, the game can be running at a full 720p with some FSAA, but when the framerate starts dropping because of some additional rendering requirements on-screen (e.g., flashlight turned on, intense combat/action, or certain viewpoints/environments) the resolution can drop to something around 1024*576 (The Darkness PS3 resolution) or perhaps even less than that. The framerate then noticeably smoothens out when this happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the PSN demo for Riddick: Dark Athena:

The game appears to use a dynamic resolution system, similar to what the original Riddick on Xbox 1 used. At times, the game can be running at a full 720p with some FSAA, but when the framerate starts dropping because of some additional rendering requirements on-screen (e.g., flashlight turned on, intense combat/action, or certain viewpoints/environments) the resolution can drop to something around 1024*576 (The Darkness PS3 resolution) or perhaps even less than that. The framerate then noticeably smoothens out when this happens.

Are you sure? The resolution seems ever the same ....

edit:
Fixed, just tried and it's true, the sharpness change dynamically.

hush hush, i upgraded to full HD a few days ago. Downloading the demo as we speak. I will get some food and afterwards i'll make some 'captures' with my camera from the hdtv :D

After analyzing some HD vids of the Riddick demo on Xbox 360 (courtesy of GamersYDE.com) it appears that the 360 version also utilizes a dynamic resolution-based LOD system as well, although the lowest resolution to which that version seems to (occasionally) degrade that I could detect was 1120*630, while the PS3 version frequently drops to 1024*576 (and I think below).

This is based on some preliminary testing on whatever videos I could find of both versions.

I thought that was the case for the xbox 360 ver too.In one section of the demo there was a ladder up above and riddick would use to pass over the guards.Once I was on the other side on the roof I could see the guards down below and instantly noticed the drop in resolution.

After analyzing some HD vids of the Riddick demo on Xbox 360 (courtesy of GamersYDE.com) it appears that the 360 version also utilizes a dynamic resolution-based LOD system as well, although the lowest resolution to which that version seems to (occasionally) degrade that I could detect was 1120*630, while the PS3 version frequently drops to 1024*576 (and I think below).

This is based on some preliminary testing on whatever videos I could find of both versions.

Or 576p or below, I don't think it can change more of two resolutions...

anyone know if QAA is going to be a new trend on PS3, it is suggested by Sony or something? personally I prefer 2XMSAA better, much sharper IQ.

It might be, in someway, cheaper to implement or more complimenting to the architecture to perform QAA...

You're right it IS a new trend. KZ2, CR:ADA, RE5, Tombraider:Underworld....

Do you have screenshots from the videos off-hand? I imagine you're doing that at least to do the counting.

Sorry, I don't have any screenshots saved. Basically what I do when I count pixels using HD videos is I press "Print Screen" while the video is running and paste it into Photoshop to analyze. After I'm done analyzing a couple stills this way, I just close without saving.

On that note, I've found some scenes in the 360 version where it definitely drops down to 1024 lines of horizontal resolution (extrapolating that to 1024x576... it's hard to find clean horizontal edges in this game), like the PS3 version, although it seems to happen less frequently.

Didn't look at them closely (not that I can count pixels), but I'm guessing NGS2 will run at the same resolution as NGS (1280x720 with no AA).

Back