Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

FWIW, apparently Kotaku said that what they saw of a recent build of the PS3 version looked much better than the demo and that it looked the same as the 360 version.
edit: http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008...op_event_part_the_second_the_new_stuff-2.html
Kotaku said:
The PS3 version of Resident Evil 5 looked lousy compared to the 360 version. The environments weren't as sharply defined, the colours were duller, and that "dusty" layer that covers the Shanty Town in the 360 version came off as "you need to wipe down your TV screen." At least the controls handled the exact same.

Kotaku said:
2) The PS3 version looked almost identical to the 360 version in the secret levels. I was really worried there, having seen the disparity between the 360 and PS3 on the Japanese demo; but it looks like the demo is way older code.

Regarding QAA, some games look blurrier than others. For example, I'm pretty sure Resistance 2 uses QAA, but it doesn't look as blurry as Far Cry 2 does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I mentioned this on GAF but Ill copy paste here. Theres some confusion here, and I have no doubt that they are referring to a very old build that the press was given, which was before the public demo released. Hallmarks of it are the Executioner without the spikes inside his arms/upper body.

Basically, they posted this about the event from December 16th, which features new levels. I had a friend who also played the game at the event and he couldn't spot a difference either, though, as has been demonstrated, its difficult to do that under these conditions, without the aid of direct captures.

The PS3 demo was released in JAPAN ONLY on the 18th. The press was provided with the "new levels" build on the 16th, after the event. I don't think they were given an updated build of the Shanty Town/Public Assembly stage. I haven't seen anything to indicate that.

So basically, the Kotaku guy is comparing the "New Levels" build to the ancient Public Assembly one, with the Executioner who doesn't have spikes on his body.

Or at least thats my speculation. If anyone is in the press, feel free to pipe up on what builds you guys all received.

Edit: To further add credence to this theory, 1UP did a little skit where after the 360 demo was locked out for non Japanese, they realized they couldn't cover it properly. That wouldn't be an issue if they were provided a build before hand.

So the ps3 demo seems older respect the 360 demo, I understood correctly? However I think was obvious, it seem too strange these lacks. I have notice same things on the 360 dmc4 demo compared to ps3 demo.

No, he's saying that the version the press saw is not the most recent demo that was released in Japan. Let's be frank here, how likely is it that Capcom would drop old art assets into a new demo when the 360 version has 'newer' assets available. It doesn't really make any sense.

No, he's saying that the version the press saw is not the most recent demo that was released in Japan. Let's be frank here, how likely is it that Capcom would drop old art assets into a new demo when the 360 version has 'newer' assets available. It doesn't really make any sense.
Kotaku said just the opposite....the ps3 jap demo has lacks compared 360 demo and last secret levels...I don't think it's so strange honestly, maybe to build a more details ps3 demo occur so much work and time, where is the news or the nosense?

Way too ugly to be bullshot, and it looks sub-720p.

Also, especially visible in the 2nd shot you posted, there's some extensive full screen blur. Could be the sub-720p res, or just a filter.

And why can't I edit my posts?

Looks like 720p to me... a couple of blurry shots but a hell of a lot of finely detailed character work there. Can't say about the AA situation as there's some horrible JPEG compression at play.

Back