Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

nice, good to see you around for IQ analysis Quaz. Also heard that the PS3version frame rate hold up pretty well this time around. Any ideas on the AA though?

kimbo slice with a grenade launcher? :runaway:

One is smother the other sharper, ultimately looks nearly the same.

good news, the two version seem 720p

edit: 720 lines but seem low horisontal resolution for both version (960x720 or less, maybe 896x720)

Treyarch did say they were pushing for it when talking about the Wii-U, maybe they meant only the vertical...or is it full 720p for the WII-U?

Are there any Wii U pics? (BLOPS2)

I mailed Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry today. He said the Face Off for Black Ops 2 will be out this Friday. But it´s only PC, PS3 and 360.

He said they have to import a WiiU with Black Ops 2 and other games first before they can make a proper analysis, since they´re from the UK, so it will have to wait till next week.

Treyarch did say they were pushing for it when talking about the Wii-U, maybe they meant only the vertical...or is it full 720p for the WII-U?

DF made an analysis of the E3-version, and they said the 360-version was 880x720 back then. Maybe thats the case with the final version too?

Treyarch said WiiU will be "FullHD". Later they said its not 1080p native. I guess we have to wait till Saturday to find out...

880*720 or 960*720...In either of thé cases it's superior to the usual COD resolution of 1024*600 and it shows....especially because of a higher vertical res.

Last edited by a moderator:
k6Nro.jpg

088BU.jpg

the half-res shadowmap in this batman WiiU screenshot would can be explained with memory architecture
on X360 you rasterize shadowmap in eDRAM and move it to Main RAM for futur use like a texture
on WiiU you rasterize shadowmap in eDRAM too but in some cases it's probably better to leave the shadowmap in the eDRAM for futur use directly from the eDRAM (because unlike X360, WiiU eDRAM is probably a video memory space for ROP and TMU and can be used by texture/map for help Main ram) and in this way liberate some Main ram bandwitdh but eDRAM is a limited space, this can explaine low res choice.
it will be the same dilemma for MSAA, i think they will have lot of 720p without MSAA (rather AA post-process)

Texture sharpness seems finally improved. I'd like to see more capture in the different scenario, this is just the same.

Seems like almost every 360/PS3-port runs with a bad framerate:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500078

Epic Mickey 2 as an example:

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/341162921

Go to 7 hours, 1 minute mark. Pretty awful...

----------------

BO2 - WiiU:

6538a2023de787055862f51204e4e2ad47684061.JPG

360:

92de28d852c5c42cebc35e7cdcd5bdc278096475.jpg

Reminds me of the Batman comparison shot earlier in this thread because of the shadows: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1680158&postcount=3207

edit: I know these shots are not suitable for an analysis, but I want to show them anyway

the half-res shadowmap in this batman WiiU screenshot would can be explained with memory architecture
on X360 you rasterize shadowmap in eDRAM and move it to Main RAM for futur use like a texture
on WiiU you rasterize shadowmap in eDRAM too but in some cases it's probably better to leave the shadowmap in the eDRAM for futur use directly from the eDRAM (because unlike X360, WiiU eDRAM is probably a video memory space for ROP and TMU and can be used by texture/map for help Main ram) and in this way liberate some Main ram bandwitdh but eDRAM is a limited space, this can explaine low res choice.
it will be the same dilemma for MSAA, i think they will be lot of 720p without MSAA

Makes sense.

mm... I recall sebbbi discussing something along that line awhile ago (speaking in general):

GPU accessible read/write EDRAM would practically nullify all the bandwidth costs of the deferred g-buffer generation/sampling and post process rendering (etc full screen effects that are consumed later in the pipeline). And it would be great for GPU compute. However it wouldn't nullify the bandwidth cost of shadow maps, unless you had huge amount of EDRAM. A single 4096x4096 shadow map atlas takes 64 MB, and even that isn't enough if you want to have above 720p rendering with good shadow map quality.

Back