Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

now I see it, the PS3 version is a tiny bit soft, hardware scaling on xbox vs software solution on ps3? It is just me or the softness help hiding the dithering from A2C on the hair, and shimmering from the specular maps. Some edges also appear to be "smooth" off made me think that the PS3 version might running at a different res earlier.
From what I have understood, MS time ago disclaim 360 using of upscaler hardware in the game upscale, specifying indeed it's more a software solution, at least is what I have understood reading here but I ignore the tech reason behind.

From what I have understood, MS time ago disclaim 360 using of upscaler hardware in the game upscale, specifying indeed it's more a software solution, at least is what I have understood reading here but I ignore the tech reason behind.

I thought it was no built in dedicated hw to scale, just that the GPU does scaling. Like RSX but RSX only scale horizontally so if they want to scale native 720p to 1080p they have to come with with some software solution or run the game at 950X1080 or other horizontal res on PS3.

I thought it was no built in dedicated hw to scale, just that the GPU does scaling. Like RSX but RSX only scale horizontally so if they want to scale native 720p to 1080p they have to come with with some software solution or run the game at 950X1080 or other horizontal res on PS3.
Nah, RSX has a hardware scaler solution.

Anyone checked the res/AA of the console versions of Trine 2? game looks absolutely amazing on 360 but couldn't checked the PS3 version due to the delay of the PAL version.

Originally it was thought that the ANA/HANA chip was the scaler, this was revealed to be false. However the 360 still has hardware scaling, it's just part of the GPU instead of a separate unit. So unless specifically developed by the developers, it's not a software scaling solution.

Nah, RSX has a hardware scaler solution.

Yes, which only supports horizontal scaling.

Anyone checked the res/AA of the console versions of Trine 2? game looks absolutely amazing on 360 but couldn't checked the PS3 version due to the delay of the PAL version.

I checked both and looks like PS3 version is softer, maybe it's PPAA (FXAA?) difference like in Skyrim. I'm pretty sure it's not just gamma.

Kingdoms of Amalur

360 - 1280x720 postAA
PS3 - 1280x720 no AA (seems to be missing camera and object motion blur as well)

I checked both and looks like PS3 version is softer, maybe it's PPAA (FXAA?) difference like in Skyrim. I'm pretty sure it's not just gamma.
360 version does have post-AA as well. Maybe the PS3 version is skipping the conditional branch resulting in a heavier blur (if it's fxaa).

I saw alot of video for the new Alan Wake, looks like they took out a lot of the foilage this time due to setting and probably also free up tons of bandwidth?

Might be 576p.

I've attached a blown up image that I've capped/cropped from that video around 7:20. It seems like a consistent 4/5 ratio.

They may have dropped down to 2xMSAA based on a couple things I saw in the video, but I'll have a look whenever I get around to downloading it.

Attachments

• AWAN.jpg
    AWAN.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 30
576p= 1024X576 I assume?

The internet gives me conflicting reports at best what 576p is defined as...some say it's 720X576 (which I very much doubt for AW).

576p= 1024X576 I assume?

The internet gives me conflicting reports at best what 576p is defined as...some say it's 720X576 (which I very much doubt for AW).

720/576 is "originally" PAL resolution. But in todays 16/9 world, 1024/576 would be the right assumption.

Might be 576p.

I've attached a blown up image that I've capped/cropped from that video around 7:20. It seems like a consistent 4/5 ratio.

They may have dropped down to 2xMSAA based on a couple things I saw in the video, but I'll have a look whenever I get around to downloading it.

wow...didn't expect such a little jump in res especially after the way less bandwidth-taxing environments (as Guitaroo already mentioned) in American Nightmare. :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they dropped 4*MSAA for 720p once they got FXAA in?

Considering that AN dropped 4xAA (for 2xAA+FXAA?) I don't think that 4xAA was the reason that the first game run at such a low res.

Supposedly the bandwidth-heavy foliage in the first game was the reason for it but this game does not have anything like that so there must be another reason for only a slight bump in res I guess.

That being said I just played the arcade mode a bit and it does looks sharper than the first game.

Back