Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Well, I wonder if it's just the early exit that is turned off (saves perf on RSX), which results in a lot more blurring. It's no secret how branching perf is on the G7x line.
That could explain it. Without the early exit you will get blurred results. But if I remember correctly it was only 2 ALU more... not something most developers would be willing to do, it it degrades your IQ that badly... at 30 fps, +2 ALU per pixel is basically nothing.

Makes you wonder how much testing went into it versus just following "general guidelines" and dropping it into the game. At the same time, I'm not too clear what the performance is like in the retail. :s (One of the things we can't see in screenshots is the amount of flickering of shadowmaps on PS3.)

hello aistrong big fan of your work. so currently it's not known what type of aa the 360 and the ps3 version of skyrim uses? i dont know much of this but judging by these stills
360_010.jpg.jpg

PS3_010.jpg.jpg

the edge of the sword is much more jagged on the 360 than the ps3, but the ps3 version looks like it has that blur coat, strange indeed.
Yes, admirable work from Alstrong, indeed. Welcome to the forums. This is quite a large thread to begin. 8D I guess you could only read like 10 pages of these before your eyes hurt from reading, but lmao

Concerning the Antialiasing, I don't know if they used FXAA or not, but if so, at least on the 360, it's the best implementation of FXAA I've seen to date. It looks as sharp as any kind of MSAA.

I'm extremely comfortable with how they used AA in this game. I mean, it doesn't bother me, disturb me, make me awkward in any way looking at those pics because there is no blurriness, in any version. The vegetation on the 360 looks better, while the AA on the PS3 hides the jaggies on the sword more efficiently, though the whole image looks softer on the PS3 maybe because of the low AF, or half res textures. It'd s matter of tastes but neither of both versions hurt when looking at them or look blurry to me.

Perhaps the AA they are using isn't FXAA but this superior new technology called SMAA, which sebbbi :smile: mentioned more than once here. It's a relatively recent approach and it looked certainly better than FXAA to me.

I'm extremely comfortable with how they used AA in this game. I mean, it doesn't bother me, disturb me, make me awkward in any way looking at those pics because there is no blurriness, in any version. The vegetation on the 360 looks better, while the AA on the PS3 hides the jaggies on the sword more efficiently, though the whole image looks softer on the PS3 maybe because of the low AF, or half res textures. It'd s matter of tastes but neither of both versions hurt when looking at them or look blurry to me.

Perhaps the AA they are using isn't FXAA but this superior new technology called SMAA, which sebbbi :smile: mentioned more than once here. It's a relatively recent approach and it looked certainly better than FXAA to me.

I don't think the textures are half res on the ps3.

Also I thought the consoles weren't fast enough for SMAA:?:

msaa regularly misses edges, the aliasing on the sword, avoidance of all foliage, specular artifacts makes it more evident that it is msaa. pc screentshots match the same aesthetics with only msaa enabled.

fxaa on ps3 is really disappointing, it sacrifices too much definition for edge smoothing.

msaa regularly misses edges, the aliasing on the sword, avoidance of all foliage, specular artifacts makes it more evident that it is msaa. pc screentshots match the same aesthetics with only msaa enabled.

fxaa on ps3 is really disappointing, it sacrifices too much definition for edge smoothing.

Looks just fine blown up to a very respectable diameter with my projector. I'll take a slight blur over aliasing any day of the week. One issue is only really noticeable in a side by side comparison or if you really look for it, the other always sticks out no matter the circumstances.

Looks just fine blown up to a very respectable diameter with my projector. I'll take a slight blur over aliasing any day of the week. One issue is only really noticeable in a side by side comparison or if you really look for it, the other always sticks out no matter the circumstances.
When you compare the two, its not "slightly" blurry. Its pretty damn blurry actually.

Looking at the screens, it seems that the blur is far more noticeable in big open areas.

How hard is it to lower the blur effect of FXAA, and does that have any effect on the GPU?

I don't think the textures are half res on the ps3.

Also I thought the consoles weren't fast enough for SMAA:?:
Reading the documents here...

http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

...some implementations seem to be tailored to consoles and are fast. DF article pretty much confirmed the Xbox 360 version is using MSAAx4.

I wonder if they are using SSAO on consoles. I can't discern this effect well, especially without a comparison gallery.

When you compare the two, its not "slightly" blurry. Its pretty damn blurry actually.
There are contrast differences, as usual, 360 looking darker and PC-PS3 looking softer, but regarding blurriness these screenshots show the difference is not so high -trees look better on the 360, and that's it, imo-.

360_011.bmp.jpg

newPS3_011.bmp.jpg

There are contrast differences, as usual, 360 looking darker and PC-PS3 looking softer, but regarding blurriness these screenshots show the difference is not so high -trees look better on the 360, and that's it, imo-.

360_011.bmp.jpg

newPS3_011.bmp.jpg

For me, it's not even close.

Look at the bushes on the left side
The roof top of the first hut on the right side
The detail on the groud is certainlyl much sharper on the 360 screenshot

Its the AA solution on the PS3 that blurs the image. The texture and framebuffer resolution is identical on both platforms.

408p? Compression's too awful to make out anything else except in the last shot in the bottom right.

Back