Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Just realized there's the Fable III demo up on XBLM, so I had only a brief peek today. It looks like it may be the same resolution as Fable II, but the AA is different (not 2xMSAA) - it's some sort of temporal AA. It behaves a bit differently than in Reach, so it may have different threshold settings of a sort or perhaps a different blend operation. It's similar.

Just realized there's the Fable III demo up on XBLM, so I had only a brief peek today. It looks like it may be the same resolution as Fable II, but the AA is different (not 2xMSAA) - it's some sort of temporal AA. It behaves a bit differently than in Reach, so it may have different threshold settings of a sort or perhaps a different blend operation. It's similar.

Well that explains a few things, thanks Al.

Still shake my head at how poorly optimized the game seems sometimes.

i played though it on PC and i can confirm it definitely has some wonky AA for pc as well. AA falls apart when you're moving but when stationary it sort of works.

The guys over at GameBlurb just posted up their comparison of Dead Island. Overall, pretty close visually but they do mention both versions screen tear really bad. Looking forward to seeing DF's analysis.

GameBlurb: Versus - Dead Island Screenshot Comparison [HDMI/720p]

Umm I'm surprised. From what I have seen in the youtube walkthrough, 360 seem to keep vsync enough good to complain of something, I can't to say otherwise for the ps3, at least the video captures has something wrong, but I doubt it.

Just randomly noticed, while reading BF3 dev twitter exchanges, that a Brink dev admitted Brink used dynamic resolution scaling (down to 50%!)

https://twitter.com/#!/pixelmager/status/111187975756460032

@repi we used it on Brink as well, down to 50% res. Helps with unpredictable scenes, like multiple explosions etc. Better lowres than choppy

My question is, did anybody on DF, B3D, anywhere, even notice (I checked Eurogamers face off, there's no mention)? If not, what does that say about how noticeable dynamic res scaling is?

And some other tweets about it, suggesting it's common and difficult to notice

https://twitter.com/#!/msinilo/status/111188667741110272

https://twitter.com/#!/msinilo/status/111188421711642628

Maybe this belongs in game tech thread?

Late edit: It does seem Eurogamer (Alstrong :p) somewhat noticed the scaling:

At times it feels that the game is actually dynamically switching from a relatively low resolution to an even lower one.

So maybe this whole post is pointless...still they never explicitly called it out and I wasn't aware...

Couldn't dynamic scaling be noticed easily in framebuffer grabs of so called "busy" scenes?

Makes me wonder if there are other games using dynamic res scaling that flew completely under the radar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The res in the face off was corrected from 1024x720 to 1120x720, so maybe those are possible resolutions.

Assuming it's always 720 vertical, 50% = 640x720 at lowest :eek:

There's no comparison gallery for brink so can't check..

The original finding was 1120 on 360. It was just a brainfart when the article was written.

Couldn't dynamic scaling be noticed easily in framebuffer grabs of so called "busy" scenes?
Well, keep in mind that Brink is also using FXAA, so it would have been that much more difficult to find an appropriate edge amidst the explosions and what not. It was hard to prove.

As for other games doing it, it's not really new. Several games in the last gen did it, although it was easier (same on RSX). Or rather... the way the 360 hardware is implemented, you have to give up the hardware scaling as you have to do the dynamic res then scale in software to the output. The gamefest presentation last year covered the reason for it. Next gen, I expect them to fix that back.

Is there a final word on Resistance 3? It does look a little blurrier than the first two games, if my memory doesn't play tricks on me. Could be the same as R&C: A Crack In Time.

RE4HD5.jpg.jpg

Resident Evil 4 HD... 720p, No AA, and specular mapping removed...-_-

hm.... something tells me it might be based of PC/PS2 verison...... turd port.

Actually it's based off the GC version. Most of the cut-scenes are real time, not pre-rendered as in the PS2/PC, and most of the lighting is also included (which was also missing from the PS2/PC ports).

Doesn't seem like it's missing anything to be honest. RE4 on the Gamecube wasn't heavy on texture trickery (with specular highlights simply painted into the color channel in most cases if memory serves me right). It just had some damn good character models and the art worked well with SD resolutions.
At least on HDTVs, the GC version looks positively hideous now.

Back