Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Which is just what I've said... You see it in a large open world game, it's almost certain to be fake, because they can't make the necessary compromises to get it to work.

Yep pretty much, I find it weird for people to get excited over some sunrays cutting through stuff.
Also didn't Castlevania do proper volumetric?

Previous Valve games had a blur filter on 360...but was it that bad?

Seems some differences in shadows too.

Yes, the top pic gives a good comparison. PS3 has a very clean edge on the fridge and highly gradated TV arm, suggestive of MLAA alongside the other aliasing noise. XB360 is selectively blurred. See the front of the seat cushion on the left, desk top, and leg struts against the carpet on the right chair. The blurring on the blinds is stronger than on the desk, so I wonder if it's a DOF effect? The lightness under the desk shows different lighting in effect though, with more shadowing than PS3. This isn't obvious in the other pics, such that it may be a lighting bug? The desk lamp's shadow on the back wall is projected higher in the PS3 shot. Or maybe an extra baked lightmap on XB360? Also dynamic range is higher on PS3 shot, with the window blinds overbrightened. That's not to say PS3 is HDR, but it's using a wider range of light. 360's light range is more compressed.

I think the tinfoil is wrapped too tightly around your head. The only reason Gabe said the PS3 version would be the best among the console versions is because Sony's network was more open and allowed them to offer steamworks + steamplay.
Conspiracy is probably going too far I agree, but if they had to pick one version of the two to allocate more resources to it would probably be the one in which they have a vested interest. Also recent hires may have stacked the deck in favour of the PS3.
The second thing is, as we’ve grown the company internally, we’ve hired people who have experience at great studios such as Naughty Dog and who have a lot of experience on the PS3. They were able to look at our engine and make the required tweaks to make sure Portal 2 works really well with the PS3.
From PS blog.

The blur filter makes the 360 version look uglier. I can't see any sane technical reason to explain that, which is why I'm thinking out loud.

And you can't say with a straight face that Valve's been the prime example of how everyone should treat different hw platforms in development and in PR.

The blur filter makes the 360 version look uglier. I can't see any sane technical reason to explain that, which is why I'm thinking out loud.

And you can't say with a straight face that Valve's been the prime example of how everyone should treat different hw platforms in development and in PR.

All part of gabe evil plan first take over psn with steam then force ms to let them on live.:devilish:

Apart from simple edge blur there is something wrong with 360 version.I'm playing it,I don't mind those little things but it looks somewhat "muddy",muted I dunno.

Could be the edge detect algorithm blurring texture detail. But I suppose I'm not entirely clear on what you mean, Ruskie. :p

Just a friendly reminder to keep the discussion on image quality...

Videogameszone has some with PC.
8RUce.jpg

http://www.videogameszone.de/Portal...vergleich-PS3-gegen-Xbox-360-gegen-PC-821003/

Back