Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

No idea what they were smoking. The sound is completely broken. there's so much echo that you can't understand any in-game dialogues at all. Adding further insult to injury, the game not only comes with all the bugs already present in the original, it actually adds plenty of new ones of its own. I can't even finish it due to a bug that keeps crashing my PS3 without fail. It's a criminally sloppy hd-upgrade, and despite the numerous complaints Ubisoft has yet to release a single patch.

No idea what they were smoking. The sound is completely broken. there's so much echo that you can't understand any in-game dialogues at all. Adding further insult to injury, the game not only comes with all the bugs already present in the original, it actually adds plenty of new ones of its own. I can't even finish it due to a bug that keeps crashing my PS3 without fail. It's a criminally sloppy hd-upgrade, and despite the numerous complaints Ubisoft has yet to release a single patch.

I'm talking of tomb raider collection,not PoP...

There's one game that make me wonder how bad it run the whole collection & it's definitely Tomb Raider Legend.

Tomb Raider Legend is the most demanding in the collection if it try to run in the same level as the 360 version.

Okay, so being the fanboy that I am I bought the TR Trilogy today (own both Anniversary and Legend for 4 different systems right now), and I'm almost happy with it.

I was hoping for a nice proper HD TR Anniversary, and although I don't have the means or the knowledge to count pixels, proper HD (as in 720p 2xMSAA) is exactly what happened to the game. It is clean, sharp and generally very pleasing on the eyes. The textures are also very nice and consistent, and appear to have been lifted straight from the PC version. Very nice upgrade.

TR Legend on the other hand looks just odd. It's also quite a bit sharper looking than on the 360 (on which version it is clearly based), has all the added bling. Ultimately that doesn't amount to a whole lot since the image is hampered by very weird artifacts. No idea if it's scaling. If it is then it is the poorest scaling I have ever seen in a game. Almost looks like every second horizontal line is slightly misaligned. Hard to describe. Hopefully someone will provide some screen grabs. It looks almost like a bug.

TR Underworld has benn left untouched as expected. Still as gorgeous as it has ever been.

Oddly enough the savegames didn't carry over and you can earn another Platinum Trophy if you want to.

TR legend was sub hd on 360 if I remember correctly, and the PS3 version is probably based on the PC port. I remember my 7900 GT can handle it on 720p on my old rig.

As far as I remember, the PC version looked pretty much exactly like the 360 version anyway (if you checked the "next gen" box in the options menu). I was kinda hoping for a port of the non-next gen version of TR Legend to be honest. Despite some added foliage and more advanced shader trickery, it was always rather obvious that TR Legend hasn't been built with the new tech in mind. Some of that stuff was certainly impressive back then, but that just isn't the case anymore. TR Anniversary on the other hand has aged a lot better. Definitely the highlight of the trilogy.

TR legend was sub hd on 360 if I remember correctly, and the PS3 version is probably based on the PC port. I remember my 7900 GT can handle it on 720p on my old rig.

Yes, it was very sub HD on the XBOX 360. Tomb Raider Legend use a lot of effect in comparison to Tomb Raider Underworld & require a more powerful hardware to run it.

I agree that Underworld look better when you look for the overall, but there's something in Legend that make it feel like it was built for showcase. Legend feature heavy use of demanding graphical effect & the global illumination is very noticeable.

Tomb Raider Legend(pic taken in the web)
image_tomb_raider_legend-3022-728_0004.jpg

You see all the shadow on every object? Even when using Lara flashlight every object has it own shadow in Legend.

Tomb Raider Underworld(pic from fraps)
ippn42.jpg

I see no global illumination on effect in Underworld.

Legend is technically more advanced than underworld. kk those are PC pic, but it's only for resolution & showcase purpose. The XBOX 360 version share the same effect as on PC except for underworld that it has motion blur.

Okay, this is getting more and more off-topic, but why do you compare a screenshot that has light coming through the ceiling windows (creating hideously low resolution shadow maps in the process) to a screen in which Lara is standing in a dark corner of her mansion's underground mausoleum? There are plenty of bright scenes in Underworld, and with plenty of shadows. Besides, the flashlight in Underworld does cast dynamic shadows, just not in the PC version.

TR Underworld simply isn't so concerned with showing off, instead it's more concerned about presenting a cohesive and artistically pleasing overall look. TR Legend has your typical garish early generation look that desperately tries to hammer home the point that it's now possible to have an abundance of shiny, fake looking surfaces and a whole bunch of shadows. All of this is in TR Underworld as well. It's just a lot more realistic and subtle.

http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/TR8/TRU_mexico_screen.jpg

Looks like it. Seems to be done before they add the sunlight too.

Weird... the second shot on 360 has this bloom that nullifies the AA plus you can see the low-res/compression artefact on its sun. :s

Back