Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

The game look about the same when you play a bit based on the demo, but once you do some long capture & comparison, the game end up looking very different. The motion blur effect is not the same between the PS3 & 360 even in the demo.

Motion blur?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm... Star Ocean 4:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20100207

Redoing the 360 in-battle res.... I believe the vertical res is actually 512 (8 steps per 11 pixels) as it is blown up into the 1248x704 actual visible frame. The PS3's in-battle res also has a resolution of 512 vertical (32/45, also checked against 90 pixels with 64 steps). I believe it is using [strike]Quincunx[/strike] 2xAA as well. Will need to check horizontal res separately.

The non-battle resolution is 1248x704 2xMSAA with black borders to fill in 720p on 360, and I believe so far 1024 (4/5 ratio) x720 2xAA on PS3.

A lot of alpha blended materials have been changed to A2C on PS3 (hair is most obvious)

I was wondering how they would pull it off. The amount of alpha blended effects that can be unleashed on screen can get pretty intense sometimes. I was just expecting the alpha effects to be at a lower resolution than they were on the 360. I'm still curious about the exact resolution of the alpha effects though. I wonder what made them decide against the black borders. To be honest I never saw them on my TV screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.... I think the 360's horizontal battle res is actually 936. 3/4 ratio scaled to 1248. PS3... hard to get something more consistent than 8/11 (~930 res). If it is the same as 360, I'd need about 160 steps to make sure. :LOL:

Yeah, unfortunately, there are very few "clear" and long edges that are more vertically inclined. Maybe 36 steps is the most I counted, but... difficult beyond that to make absolutely sure.

I actually like the lighting in the PS3 version better though the blurriness is not great however on that one planet with the rocks the PS3 version looks downright awful on what I guess are supposed to be crystalline veins wonder who authorized that.

720p. The DF article will be interesting I think... at least based on what I have seen so far.

Really, is that confirmed? I thought it was 680p? What's the DF article?

(I don't come on here that often).

Back