Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

He might be referring to the bloom on the sign.

The shadowmap in the top screen also has filtering that I've observed on 360, so the lack of it in the bottom shot would make little sense.

edit: ack, the bottom one has better PCF filter. Top one has worse PCF... filter.

cause of the shadow?
i think it's probably right. the 360 looks clearer/sharper. the ps3 is usually the version that looks like it has a thin layer of vasoline over it.

ps3's shot reminds me of the old pixel shader 2.0 shadows from the early days of games.....no edge softening.

hmmmm, interesting, i never tried putting vasoline over my shadow.:smile2:

any clue what the resolutions of both are, are they the same as their predecessors?

to me they look a tad cleaner.

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galler...nal=/imgserver/bdb/129500/129575/original.jpg

this, even though the camera angle is alittle different but I think its obvious enough, maybe the 360 version still loading the texture? Thought they are using some texture streaming or something.

wow thats a fugly screen looks rly bad on both platforms. Anyways imo x360 looks overall sharper in most of the screens. I have noticed some kind of "greyish" filter going on ps3 wich is not present on x360. It adds bit of more detail on x360 but at the same time it looks kinda more unrealistic (plastic).

bit better pixels shadres?
pic 1

grey filter
ps3
x360
grey filter (ps3) , bit better pixel shading + extra light (bloom?) on guy face (x360)

x360
ps3

ps3's shot reminds me of the old pixel shader 2.0 shadows from the early days of games.....no edge softening.

hmmmm, interesting, i never tried putting vasoline over my shadow.:smile2:

any clue what the resolutions of both are, are they the same as their predecessors?

to me they look a tad cleaner.

Never mind. I'm an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the MW2 comparisons people are coming up with are valid given the two versions are not properly synchronized. To me this explains almost all the subtle lighting changes.

I played through MW2 last night (on PS3) and the game does look really washed out in certain parts. It seems like they are altering the color pallet when the player enters certain areas, shifting the hue/contrast so that the darkest possible black becomes grey or dark blue or green. This is a technique I have seen before, specifically Unreal Tournament 3 for ps3 comes to mind. When used properly it works ok, but most of the time they are going way overboard to the point where the darkest color displayable is somewhere around #555555 which makes it look extremely washed out and unrealistic. It is the most obvious indoors, specifically in areas lit by glow sticks or flairs. The scene that comes to mind as epitomizing this is when you are in the safe room tunnels under the white house.

I dont have the 360 version to compare, but going by comparison shots it doesn't look like the effect is as pronounced on the 360. Even on the more recent screenshots and the the shots lens of truth took which have RGB full range and superwhite on. I think I remember hearing somewhere that the 360 does some kind of automatic color balancing that it applies to every game by default. Could this be the reason for the difference across platforms? Or could it do with how the ATI chip renders dark colors, as someone speculated earlier?

I know what you mean, but I have it so I cant even read the "barely readable" text in the middle and its still washed out pretty bad. I would like to see some 360 shots of that white house safe room level to see the difference.

What difference do you speak of? You mean the over bright and unnatural contrast on the 360's shots? The game isn't using any fancy lighting effects on either versions, not even on your beloved PC version so I don't see what's so amazing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloom effect is present on all surfaces that reflect light (buildings, metallic surfaces etc.). Other than that, the differences seem to be similar to what we saw in CoD4 and they look very similar.

Back