Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Has anyone checked NFS shift ?
Seems 720p 2*AA for Xbox 360 to me ...need confirmation [also on the PS3 ver.]

I have a question about QAA. I have tried fight night round 4 for the ps3 but I never seen a properly use of QAA how in this game :oops: I haven't seen a single jaggie in a whole demo. My question is: exists different levels of QAA or not? Because I never seen an excellent use of QAA in any game of the ps3 except that. Really good.

Yup, but there were also a mode that is very similar to Quincunx, it used 4xMSAA as a base 4x-tap9.
List of nv40 AA modes.

' 4x-9tap:Another legacy mode from the Nv2x/Nv3x line that was never officially supported. Similar to quincunx it uses pixel sharing post processing that reduces edge aliasing.. It does however cause a blur effect like quincunx. '
Mmm interesting...it is possible to use on the ps3? Because really Fight night 4 has better egdes in comparison to Fifa 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean 2xMSAA?

yea sorry 2*MSAA, I should've made that clear.

' Mmm interesting...it is possible to use on the ps3? Because really Fight night 4 has better egdes in comparison to Fifa 10.
Would'nt the color contrast make some difference ? Fifa is bright while FNR4 is not so bright.

Also since FNR4 has larger amount of pixels being taken by objects/characters compared to Fifa where the cam is zoomed out & everything takes less amount of pixels wouldnt that help FNR4 have less visible jaggies compared to FIFA ?

yea sorry 2*MSAA, I should've made that clear.

Would'nt the color contrast make some difference ? Fifa is bright while FNR4 is not so bright.

Also since FNR4 has larger amount of pixels being taken by objects/characters compared to Fifa where the cam is zoomed out & everything takes less amount of pixels wouldnt that help FNR4 have less visible jaggies compared to FIFA ?
Could be...my question is if possible these different technics on the ps3...

Yup, but there were also a mode that is very similar to Quincunx, it used 4xMSAA as a base 4x-tap9.
List of nv40 AA modes.

Have these modes been checked with the G7x line :?:

One might consider just how terrible ordered grid AA is though for the number of samples being stored. All of these other modes are a waste of resources too i.e. anything with supersampling and anything with more than 4 multisamples... which basically brings the list back to 2xQ, 2x, 4xRGMS.

The only thing that might be a better trade-off is custom edge AA seen in a few games already.

doesn't the blur from QAA also give it some sort of transparency AA effect?

Yes.

One might consider just how terrible ordered grid AA is though for the number of samples being stored. All of these other modes are a waste of resources too i.e. anything with supersampling and anything with more than 4 multisamples... which basically brings the list back to 2xQ, 2x, 4xRGMS.
It used to work on my 6800 and 8800 and seems to work with gtx285 as well.
Ordered grid looks bad, but SSAA does wonders to many games.
The only thing that might be a better trade-off is custom edge AA seen in a few games already.
Indeed, something like 2xMSAA with intels MLAA done before resolve might be quite nice looking. ;)

I noticed using the EyeCreate software that edge detection can be done in realtime fairly easily, it seems. Would it be possible to use that for AA as well?

Only for blurs... without the source data you can't really do AA in the strict sense.
Edge blur is a good thing though and AFAIK Crysis already used it...

Only for blurs... without the source data you can't really do AA in the strict sense.
Edge blur is a good thing though and AFAIK Crysis already used it...

It was very effective in Crysis (especially at the "2") setting because it dealt with the foliage aliasing as well. In a game with a load of transparency aliasing like Crysis it honestly works better than standard 2xmsaa imo and the performance cost in Crysis was virtually nil.

Considering the PS3 in particular tends to struggle with msaa so much, its a really good solution for the consoles if done well imo. Works fine with games that use MRT as well, Call of Juarez has a pretty good implementation.

4x9Tap is still available through nHancer on my GTX 260, don't see why they would have took out support in the G7x generation only to bring it back in subsequant generations. I sometimes use it in UT3 as it helps deal with the shader aliasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
4x9Tap is still available through nHancer on my GTX 260, don't see why they would have took out support in the G7x generation only to bring it back in subsequant generations. I sometimes use it in UT3 as it helps deal with the shader aliasing.

Indeed... That info was done on an NV40, and I didn't know anyone tested it on newer hardware, which is why I asked...

At any rate, if developers do use it, it'd only be in games where they can even afford 4xAA. The fact that it's ordered grid doesn't make it very enticing for near-axis angles though. Using the blur to "solve" shader aliasing is a bit of a poor way to go about it though.

Is it stuff that can be fixed like for example GRID that has it off by default (highlighted part)?

<multisampling option="8xmsaa">
<back_buffer level="8xmsaa" />
<colour_target level="8xmsaa" />
<minimap level="8xmsaa" />
<dynamic_envmap level="8xmsaa" />
<static_envmap level="8xmsaa" />
<rear_view_mirror level="4xmsaa"/>

Makes for a sweat difference in cleanliness making it pretty much 'bullshotiz'.

For those, you'd want a higher res buffer and more AA samples.

Well 8xAA for reflections pretty much removes any aliasing coupled with the 1024x1024 reflections. Though the game sported smaller effect buffer but that could be fixed to. 1:1 effects for no ugly PP aliasing silhouttes (smoke, depth of field etc)! :cool:

Back