Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Remember all the talk about Fallout3 and the 360's lack of shiny textures? Seems it could have been a bug -- or a feature that was left out. Either way, it appears to be back in a patch. Sheesh. Lately, I'm finding myself going to Grandmasters blog to find certain things (RE5 analysis in this case) only to find other new and interesting posts. Nice find MazingerDUDE!

http://www.digitalfoundry.org/blog/?p=552

I believe Nebula, our resident keyboard warrior, has done some Crysis ultra-high quality video caps. If he hasn't yet, I'm sure he'd be able to help you out.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=45986&page=25

About 1/4 the way down Neb's got some nice HD vids. Others littered throughout the thread too. Not exactly ultra-high quality but still cool.

And while you're there scroll down to see more goodness!

I saw this in the master list:

Midnight Club: Los Angeles = 960x720 (QAA)

Is this correct? I remember reading the discussions and the only difference was the AA method, I don't recall any resolution difference, but It's really hard to search these threads.

Is this correct? I remember reading the discussions and the only difference was the AA method, I don't recall any resolution difference, but It's really hard to search these threads.

Quaz confirmed it way back. :)

A correction needs to be made to the Tekken Dark Resurrection entry. It's advertised as full 1080p60, and sure enough looks fabulously crisp, but not on every level! In the misty-moor arena, it looks like it's rendering at a quarter of the resolution at least. Possibly a lot lower. I haven't attempted a pixel-count as my monitor isn't 1080p native and is always scaling somewhere or other, but this resolution is seriously low, which ponders the question (to be answered in another thread!) why the resolution drop in just a few specific arenas?

A correction needs to be made to the Tekken Dark Resurrection entry. It's advertised as full 1080p60, and sure enough looks fabulously crisp, but not on every level! In the misty-moor arena, it looks like it's rendering at a quarter of the resolution at least. Possibly a lot lower. I haven't attempted a pixel-count as my monitor isn't 1080p native and is always scaling somewhere or other, but this resolution is seriously low, which ponders the question (to be answered in another thread!) why the resolution drop in just a few specific arenas?
I think they applied a blur filter for intentional effect. The pixels don't jump out as huge or anything, and I think I've even noticed the blurring on SDTVs.

No, Shifty is right. There are a few stages such as the swamp one, the moonlit wilderness, and the hidden garden Halloween version (I believe it's just those three) that are seemingly at, dare I say, sub SD resolution for some reason.

The moonlit wilderness was one of the original T5 stages, so checking back with the PS2 version reveals a massive resolution bump on that version.

It's certainly not an issue of a blur filter. Looks quite pixelated in fact.

I'll try and grab pics. Stepping is definitely more pronounced, and there's also geometry ghosting, but that's not a resolution topic.

Sonic Unleashed (Sonic World Adventure in Japan). I know the official statement from the developer isn't definitive, but it's worth rechecking.

Has anyone checked Godfather II on PS3? I've been playing it for a week now, and it certainly seems to vary in terms of IQ.

At times, it looks relatively clean, and others it's a completely jaggie blur-fest.

I want to say dynamic resolution, like we've been seeing more and more of recently, but I don't have the means to count myself. There's certainly no AA though.

Outrun Online Arcade is out on PSN and uses some 1080p upscaling render mode. The graphics look pretty clean but the XMB looks really jagged....anyone want to take a look?

Anyone here who figured out the native rendering resolution / AA for 'Gran Turismo HD Concept' in 720p rendering mode?

List of Game Rendering Resolutions states:

GTHD = 1440x1080 (no AA) - Vehicle selection is rendered at 1920x1080

But what about 720p rendering mode? Is it 1280 x 720p 4xAA like in 'Gran Turismo 5 Prologue'?

And has 'Vehicle selection' AA? Or is there no AA for 'Vehicle selection/garage/pit/showrooms' and so on like in 'Gran Turismo 5 Prologue'?

For 'Gran Turismo 5 Prologue' List of Game Rendering Resolutions states:

GT5 Prologue (demo) = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, GTHD ran at 1280x720 with 2xAA in 720p mode. In GT5P, they upgraded the AA in both modes (0->2, 2->4). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood comparison shots: http://tinyurl.com/mu9tb9

PS3 seems a lot softer, I'm not sure what's going on with it...

PS3: 1152 x 648 (full screen)
360: 1280 x 672 (black borders top and bottom)

The 360 version seems to incorporate some sort of custom AA similar to the one seen in the UFC (360) with four 2 pixel wide AA artifact, but unlike UFC the AA is applied only to the outer edges. The PS3 version seems to use similar AA method, but this one looks more like an edge blur probably due to its sub HD res. (I'll look again when some uncompressed grabs become available)

COJ_AA_1.jpg

COJ_AA_2.jpg

COJ_AA_3.jpg

Back