Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

They both run at 720p during gameplay. The 360 version has a few added effects as well as 2xMSAA. It would appear that the resolution drops on PS3 to 630p during close-up views of characters in order to maintain 60fps.

There are some theories in the other thread, but now that the game is out the discussion could move back here... If you have further questions regarding those posts, just quote, cut, then paste them here please.

What effects? The only difference that is clear is the resolution drop and no AA.

Several of the stages resolve more detail on PS3. The daytime version of the jungle scene for example blends lots of foliage together on PS3. Shadows are better resolved in places on 360, mirroring what joker454 said about transparencies.

I think the bottom line is that it's obvious that it's port from PC, and it's not exactly news that 360 is easier to port to. The PS3 version has been cut-back but it would be harsh to say that it's any worse as an actual game.

I think the bottom line is that it's obvious that it's port from PC, and it's not exactly news that 360 is easier to port to. The PS3 version has been cut-back but it would be harsh to say that it's any worse as an actual game.

Yeah, whoever wrote that comparison really made a mountain out of a mole hill. Those are the most subtle differences I've seen ever, even in comparison to Capcom's other prolific game (RE5)

Does anyone know about Yakuza3 demo ?

PS: Where can I read and get info about IQ of games other than, resolution and aa :???:

PS: Where can I read and get info about IQ of games other than, resolution and aa :???:
Resolution and AA are the principle contributors and only readily measurable ones. Without an accurate measure for things like texture resolution and AF, those sides of image quality can only be talked about on subjective terms. But if you know of any other IQ analysis that can be performed, it'd be good to hear them!

For those interested, a 720p60 HD comparison movie of Street Fighter IV will be up on Digital Foundry at around 1:30GMT this afternoon - no expense spared on the bandwidth. Seeing the games running at full speed, full resolution side-by-side really does show how well Capcom has handled the nipping and tucking on the PS3 version, and I think a lot of it has to do with the 60fps refresh rate - the game is chucking about so many things at so smooth a refresh rate that the differences are indeed barely noticeable.

For those interested, a 720p60 HD comparison movie of Street Fighter IV will be up on Digital Foundry at around 1:30GMT this afternoon - no expense spared on the bandwidth. Seeing the games running at full speed, full resolution side-by-side really does show how well Capcom has handled the nipping and tucking on the PS3 version, and I think a lot of it has to do with the 60fps refresh rate - the game is chucking about so many things at so smooth a refresh rate that the differences are indeed barely noticeable.

Is that 630p on close-ups true then? How do they make the jump between resolutions so smooth when it happens in a split second?

I experienced a really bad framerate drop in the last level of KZ2, I had to run away from the action for the engine to calm down. Wasn't that annoying and was amazed by all the effects going on anyway, but did you experience that in your test?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's true. It's handled easily because the camera view changes.

EDIT: Oh, and yes on the KZ2 test...

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of boredom, I fired up Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PS3 the other day. I remember hearing that 1080p mode was blurry, but this is obscene.

I noticed that Vegas 2 is on the list, but Vegas 1 seems to be MIA, has anyone checked the rendering resolution in 1080p mode?

Out of boredom, I fired up Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PS3 the other day. I remember hearing that 1080p mode was blurry, but this is obscene.

Yes, R6V was incredibly blurry when scaled to 1080p (not the same use of the word "blur" as tends to be used around here for slight softening of an image due to QAA, this is full on blur like text and the HUD become difficult to read etc). It has a horribly implemented software upscale, worst of the generation by far, and made even worse by the fact that the game defaults to 1080p if you have it ticked.

Yes, R6V was incredibly blurry when scaled to 1080p (not the same use of the word "blur" as tends to be used around here for slight softening of an image due to QAA, this is full on blur like text and the HUD become difficult to read etc). It has a horribly implemented software upscale, worst of the generation by far, and made even worse by the fact that the game defaults to 1080p if you have it ticked.

So, do we have some analysis of what's actually going on there, or is it really just a disgusting scale job?

i just recently popped in burnout revenge for 360, being an early 360 title, I'm curious if the game is 1280x720 w or w/out aa

was this ever determined?

Have you actually analyzed Burnout Revenge, or are you thinking about Burnout Paradise? I don't think anyone determined what resolution Revenge runs at.

Back