Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I have a question, can you update the sticky list with new games ? It's been along since Jan 2008. :smile:

The lists are always updated as appropriate. The date you are referring toward is the thread creation date.

The lists are always updated as appropriate. The date you are referring toward is the thread creation date.

I have noticed that around the time that Quaz got LittleBigPlanet, there was a big drop off in adding games to that thread. It doesn't seem to update as frequently and there are some games that have been out a while that aren't listed.

Just an observation.

Examples:

SOCOM: Confrontation
LittleBigPlanet
Gears of War 2
Fable 2

I know a lot of us are busy trying to get to all the games released in the glut, but like I said, this dates back at least as far as LBP's release.

Also, the RE5 demo is out on both consoles. I am wondering about it because it looks pretty damn good, regardless of how anybody feels aboot the controls.

Well, far be it from me to pull numbers out of... air.

Don't get upset. I was just pointing out that the thread is a little bit behind. I know that people are busy and whatnot.

But I listed a couple high profile releases that have been out for a while and the thread is the accepted authority PLANETWIDE.

Sorry if you feel I attacked you.

Well, the only thing we can deduce is Quaz's love affair with LBP continues unabated ;)

There was a similar lull in proceedings when someone let him in on the beta :LOL:

I have noticed that around the time that Quaz got LittleBigPlanet, there was a big drop off in adding games to that thread. It doesn't seem to update as frequently and there are some games that have been out a while that aren't listed.

Just an observation.

Examples:

SOCOM: Confrontation
LittleBigPlanet
Gears of War 2
Fable 2

I know a lot of us are busy trying to get to all the games released in the glut, but like I said, this dates back at least as far as LBP's release.

Also, the RE5 demo is out on both consoles. I am wondering about it because it looks pretty damn good, regardless of how anybody feels aboot the controls.

I'm interested in RE5 too. Especisally since there are controversial platform comparison shots around the interweb currently.

I assumed both versions were 720P, but the PS3 version looks like it might possibly be upscaling, that is the question. Whatever the case, the PS3 is using some sort of blurring technique.

Here are some (demo) pics from the icky-GAF

I'm interested in RE5 too. Especisally since there are controversial platform comparison shots around the interweb currently.

I assumed both versions were 720P, but the PS3 version looks like it might possibly be upscaling, that is the question. Whatever the case, the PS3 is using some sort of blurring technique.

Here are some (demo) pics from the icky-GAF

They are claiming quincux AA, but it must be selective if that's true because there are cases of obvious aliasing on the PS3 version.

I didn't even bother counting on screen as there was nothing to suggest it was anything less than 720p.

They are claiming quincux AA, but it must be selective if that's true because there are cases of obvious aliasing on the PS3 version.

Yeah, it seems like it switches QAA on and off depending on load to maintain framerate.

Yeah, it seems like it switches QAA on and off depending on load to maintain framerate.

I thought QAA was essentially free on the PS3, that's why it's used so frequently.

I was under the impression that it was supported in hardware by the GPU.

I thought QAA was essentially free on the PS3, that's why it's used so frequently.

It costs the same as 2xMSAA. The hardware implementation entails the quincunx subsampling that results in the overall blur and better edge anti-aliasing than 2x.

edit:

The similarity to G7x should also mean that when 2xMSAA is enabled, the (theoretical) colour fill rate is unaffected, the z-fill is halved, memory bandwidth requirement is doubled, and blend rate is decreased. So it is not entirely free compared to no AA.

Nope, Quaz simply doesn't have time to squint at pixels any more.

Do you have some screenshots lying around to look at too :?:

It costs the same as 2xMSAA. The hardware implementation entails the quincunx subsampling that results in the overall blur and better edge anti-aliasing than 2x.

Do you have some screenshots lying around to look at too :?:

Doesn't QAA also give you some Transparency AA?.

Yes, but there are quite a few "big" games that hasn't made it to the list yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you or anything, just saying that it should be updated more often, that's all.
Have a nice day.

Has anyone found any decent screenshots on PS3 & 360 for Street Fighter 4?

I'm curious if they're both running 720p & what, if any, AA methods they use. I assume they both run 60fps since it's a high profile fighting game.

They both run at 720p during gameplay. The 360 version has a few added effects as well as 2xMSAA. It would appear that the resolution drops on PS3 to 630p during close-up views of characters in order to maintain 60fps.

There are some theories in the other thread, but now that the game is out the discussion could move back here... If you have further questions regarding those posts, just quote, cut, then paste them here please.

AlStrong;1263387]It costs the same as 2xMSAA. The hardware implementation entails the quincunx subsampling that results in the overall blur and better edge anti-aliasing than 2x.

edit:

The similarity to G7x should also mean that when 2xMSAA is enabled, the (theoretical) colour fill rate is unaffected, the z-fill is halved, memory bandwidth requirement is doubled, and blend rate is decreased. So it is not entirely free compared to no AA.

So, if doing QAA and the 2xMSAA is the same thing in terms of performance for PS3, why do they use it so much, I mean it does blur the image, sure you get better AA, but is it worth it? This tends to be very personal, some like better AA with blur others like a clear image. Will it be possible to implement an option for the user(player) to select between this two AA techniques?

Back