Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

To what resolution does Tomb Raider Underworld default to on PS3, when every resolution in XMB is checked?

If it defaults to 720p, is it possible to force it to 1080p?

Last edited by a moderator:
Insomniac Games updated their R&D page with some new articles, I did a quick scan and didn't see that it was posted here befo.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/tech/articles/1108/files/Ratchet_and_Clank_WWS_Debrief_Feb_08.pdf

and this http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/ext_stories/insomniac_interview/ an interview with a senior character artists. It mention number of tris used for the models etc. 60K for the big bosses and on average 5K to 10k on the models.

Was looking at that interesting article, I added up all the memory allocations on the memory map and the total only comes to 390 MB in total, quite a bit short of the 512 available. Is this just the minimum RAM usage of the engine, and thus will grow depending on the workload?

It also mentions they are using 20MB for framebuffer stored in VRAM. With regards to the 360 is it possible to store the framebuffer in main memory, or does it have to be stored in the edram?

Is this why TRUW is running at much higher resolution on the PS3? Seeing as the engine doesn't support tiling, they can't emulate the PS3's larger framebuffer, and are forced to go with a lower resolution or no AA (seeing as the 360 is already doing motion blur, couldn't 720p with temporal AA be another option?).

PS: Any reason they aren't using 1024x600 2xAA like COD4/5, Oblivion etc?

Hey guys, I just got the PS3 version of the Biohazard 5 demo, and I gotta say, it performs quite nice. I don't want to turn this into a comparison, but I was curious if some people can check out this shot I took. Its not framebuffer, but it is uncompressed from my capture card. I believe the game has some form of Anti Aliasing, but I'm not sure what. Also, given some play time, it appears its running in proper 720p. Maybe Quaz or someone can confirm that.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/081229-135447-1280x720p-000111.bmp

Any chance of a shot of the game in motion? Just spinning around on the spot would be enough for us to discern if it's using temporal AA or not. Based on what you've posted I suspect it is. And yes, it is clearly 720p.

Hey guys, I just got the PS3 version of the Biohazard 5 demo, and I gotta say, it performs quite nice. I don't want to turn this into a comparison, but I was curious if some people can check out this shot I took. Its not framebuffer, but it is uncompressed from my capture card. I believe the game has some form of Anti Aliasing, but I'm not sure what. Also, given some play time, it appears its running in proper 720p. Maybe Quaz or someone can confirm that.

Thank you for your pictures.

Did you use digital HDMI output for capturing those screenshots or did you use analog Component output to capture them?

Furtheremore:

Could you tell us to what resolution the Resident Evil 5 Demo defaults to on PS3, when every resolution in XMB (including 1080p) is checked?

If it actually defaults to 720p, could you tell us if it is possible to force it to 1080p anyway by checking only 1080p and not checking 720p at all?

are those PS3 shots?

At least he said so ;):

I just got the PS3 version of the Biohazard 5 demo

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the blur levels on the PS3 are due to its default output through component video. Anyone with an HD capture card that does component can tell you the same. I didn't think it would be right to adjust the sharpness in photoshop, and figured that mentioning the problem would make people stop focusing on it as an in-game issue, when its a system-wide issue.

Back